Trout Cure/Smoke

Started by CanuckleHead, March 01, 2007, 11:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanuckleHead

Hey all,

Does anyone have a cure for trout only and what type puck do you use for how long? This forum is great and the info always entertaining if not illuminating... lol

Keep Safe and Keeeep Smoke'n!

Canucklehead

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome, there is a very good recipe for trout by BOUTCH, you can find it here:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1025.0

I did some small trout this way, they were awesome!, here's some pics:

Drying after brinning:

I put them in laying on their bellies to get the smoke into the cavity:

Finished bars of gold!:

Skin peels off really easy:

I've since done this recipe with larger fish, it really is delicious, i can recommend.

Hope this helps............LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

CanuckleHead

That is excellent LilSmoker! I appreciate all the help. I smoked one trout with a few other types of fish three days ago. I then froze them so that they smoke can settle. I will try it this weekend. I just used a salt/sugar brine for simplicity this time. Thanks again for the link.
Keep Safe and Keeeep Smoke'n!

Canucklehead

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: CanuckleHead on March 01, 2007, 11:08:50 AM
Hey all,

Does anyone have a cure for trout only and what type puck do you use for how long? This forum is great and the info always entertaining if not illuminating... lol

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with LS, that is a good brine. If your fillets are thin you may want to use the adjustments I made when I smoke trout using Boutch's brine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Cajun

Maybe a dumb question  ??? But why do you leave the head on the fish  ??? you don't eat that anyway, at least we don't eat that down here in Louisiana and beleave me we eat anything  ;)  Also do you scale the fish or skin it after you Smoke it?                                     one Dumb Cajun ;D
There is a place for all of Gods animals right next to the mashed potatos and gravy

Gizmo

Cajun, after you get your answer you need to show them how to suck the heads, crawfish style. :-*
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

I can manage to eat some tail once in awhile, but I draw the line at that point.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tsquared

Thanks Wildcat--Now I have to clean the coffee that I snorted through my nose off my computer! :D
T2

coyote

T2 I did the same. :D :D

Coyote

West Coast Kansan

Kirk would probably sticky that one.  :P

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

coyote

Hey Gang , would the proccess for trout work for bass , or is there a better way ?

Coyote

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Cajun on April 30, 2007, 03:11:33 PM
    Maybe a dumb question  ??? But why do you leave the head on the fish  ??? you don't eat that anyway, at least we don't eat that down here in Louisiana and beleave me we eat anything  ;)  Also do you scale the fish or skin it after you Smoke it?                                     one Dumb Cajun ;D
The fish stay more moist when you leave the heads on. There is some meat on the head area, and I know people who think the head is the best part. I hope I don't ruin any one's meal, but I've seen people suck out the eyeballs.

I scale the fish prior to smoking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

I had fish and rice while in Vietnam.  Once you get over eating a critter while it is watching you, it is not bad.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Quote from: Cajun on April 30, 2007, 03:11:33 PM

Yeah Cajun, as Habs says...leaving the heads on helps keep the fish moist, and some like them served with the head on, some don't. I always scale them and leave the skin on which again helps lock in the moisture, very easy to peel the skin after smoking, they are smoked at a very low temp and the finished result is so tender.

Although these trout were quite small, they are just about right for individual servings.  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes