A couple questions about smoked salmon:

Started by dcsam, August 29, 2004, 07:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcsam

Has anybody had a problem with a 'mushy' texture to their smoked salmon? It seems to occur every once in a while, with only a few pieces.  The salmon is always VERY fresh (hubby's a charter boat skipper).  The texture is so odd, that I usually end up spitting it out.  

My fish has recently turned out 'dull" - no shine or color. I do air dry, but sometimes, the fish doesn't get tacky - even after much drying.  
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Caroline

nsxbill

The first salmon I did was like that.  The second time, I did a brine for 24hrs, rinsed well, and then air-dried to the stage of getting pellicle.  

Smoked it about BS temp 160-165 and turned out great the first time.

Next attempt:
100°-120°F for 1-2 hours
140° for 2-4 hours
175° for 1-2 hours

Smoked slow to avoid the boogers.  Nice red color.  Both tasted well, but presentation on second batch was better.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

ruffinit

hello caroline,i have had ups and downs with salmon too,but most times now it all good.follow kummocks stickey on salmon.real good stuff.also i noticed in one of your posts you said you keep the vent closed?thats a no no if you want to get rid of moisture.try keeping vent open three quarters of the way once your up to temp.have fun,keep trying till you get it like you want it.

mike

dcsam

Ahhh! I had a nice batch turn out today.  Colorful, and great texture.  I used that 'Kummocks' recipe.  However, this was the second batch of salmon in the same brine.  Anybody else use the same brine twice? I think it's a bit more 'dilute' and leaves the salmon a bit less salty than I prefer.  I put a thin coat of honey on the salmon and air-dried the heck out of it.  Kept the vent open for first half hour.  Smoked at ~140 F.  GREAT!  Oh, I also left the water bowl empty.  Seems that leaving the vent open could be the key?
I always had fairly good success with the Little Chief smokers - they don't have an air vent, so I'm wondering why it would make a difference on the Bradley - is the Bradley more 'air tight'?
Seems I ruined a lot of salmon this year.  Guess we'll be makin' lots of salmon dip!
Great message board.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  
Caroline

Chez Bubba

Caroline,

I would advise against leaving the water bowl empty. Unlike other smokers, it is not designed to introduce moisture to keep things moist. Although it will introduce some, its primary functions are to collect fat drippings & extinguish the spent pucks.

Without water, the collected fat will not only not extinguish the pucks, but possibly ignite them. Best case scenario, you get that acrid burnt flavor in your food. Worst case scenario, the smoker superheats & becomes an inferno as soon as you open the door & give it oxygen. I've got pictures if you want to see them. (No, it wasn't mine.)

You're on the right track with leaving the vent open.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

dcsam

Thanks again, Kirk.  Ya'll are just terrific!  It doesn't help that we can no longer find the direction booklet, so your comments are much appreciated.  Don't know if I'll be trying anything soon, as we're having some boat problems.  Maybe in a few days.  
Thanks again!
Caroline
WA state

jaeger

Hi Caroline!
Check out the Bradley Home page if you are interested in an owners manual. They have several downloads available. It looks like an exact copy of the original. I have also enclosed a link.[8D]

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/ftp/index.htm