On The Job Ribs

Started by Consiglieri, March 08, 2007, 10:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

We had mid week visitors and decided to try smoking some ribs in the BS during the work day. I was torn about doing this because (a) I'm a control freak and like to be present in case anything needs attention (I guess there could be a power outage...) and (b) I didn't want to tip the cards and let the wife know that I don't need to be pushing buttons and should be (insert chore(s) of choice).  Acord suggested finding some "flaw" caused by the lack of attention and I'll have to think how to do that.  I was pleased with the results and the ribs dissappeared quickly, so I thought I'd share what I did.  I'm trying to post pics for the first time, so I apologize in advance if something goes awry.

On Monday, removed the membrane on four racks of Costco baby backs and rubbed three with crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.  The fourth I smeared with a mustard slather and a sweet/spicy rub (brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, celery salt).  Into the fridge wrapped in plastic for two days.  One garlic rack and the spicy rub rack would be served dry.  The other two garlic racks would be served wet (one sauced with a grainy mustard recipe from the Kirk book, the other with a sweet/spicy sauce I threw together). 

Preheated the BS at noon and the ribs went in at 12:45.  7 pucks-worth of smoke alternating apple (4 pucks) and maple (3).  after 2.5 hours, racks rotated and ribs sprayed with apple juice by the wife, and each hour thereafter.  At 5, I rotated the racks again.  By quarter to six, the dry ribs were done so I FTCed them while waiting for the others to glaze and finish.  When those were done (about 6:45), I FTCed them for 30 minutes and then served the food.  Our guests, including my mother in law and a petite young lady usually concerned with her appearance, attacked the ribs like fraternity boys.

Here are the ribs rubbed, after sitting in the fridge for two days:

Here they are done:

Consiglieri

iceman

Good job Consiglieri! :P ;D
Perhaps you could tell her that you were just extremly lucky that time, but from now on you need to be present at all times to assure proper quality control thus maintaining the high standards of excellance she has become used to. :D Well it sounds good anyhow, until she gives you that "dazed deer in the headlight" look then ya better stop and regroup. :)

Consiglieri

Thanks, Iceman.  I've been reading quite a bit about your sauce on this site... Maybe you ought to take it commercial.
Consiglieri

icerat4

Very nice job on the ribs ;).

Just another weekend with the smoker...

LilSmoker

Hey Consiglieri, poolside ribs!, what more could a man ask for? (don't answer that) they look delicious! and have got my tastebuds going!  ;) 

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Consiglieri

LS: I'll trade some ribs for some of that pastrami, but the real estate (and water), may make that problematic. Thank god the smoker is cleaner than the pool ( :-\)
Consiglieri

Wildcat

Quote from: iceman on March 08, 2007, 10:22:34 AM
Good job Consiglieri! :P ;D
Perhaps you could tell her that you were just extremly lucky that time, but from now on you need to be present at all times to assure proper quality control thus maintaining the high standards of excellance she has become used to. :D Well it sounds good anyhow, until she gives you that "dazed deer in the headlight" look then ya better stop and regroup. :)

You could try saying that it requires your special talent to get them even more tender. :-\
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

This looks like an opportunity to have a SUS Chef take care of all the real work while you secretly have a few cold ones while making it look like you are doing all the hard work.   :D  :D

Nice Job.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

floaty

Hello to all...I am new to the board and have just bought a handmedown OBS from a mutual friend of mine.  I've got the in-laws coming over this weekend and I'm going to smoke it up.   
Your recipe looked like a quick and simple one for my first smoke so I'm going to give it a try.  Your pic of the ribs made my mouth water!
I've been checking out this board for a few weeks...there is some really great ideas on here.

LilSmoker

Hi floaty, and welcome to the forum, good luck with the ribs, let us know how it all goes  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Consiglieri

Thanks Floaty.  You'll find that the BS is a remarkable machine that will make the job pretty easy (which is why I was okay with smoking the ribs while away at work).  I used a cabinet temp of 220 for my smoking

good luck with your project and welcome to the forum.

Wildcat: I like your tip too.
Consiglieri

iceman

Welcome floaty;
You'll find the Bradley easy to use once you get used to it. Hardest part is learning "Not to Peek" to much, which drives me crazy sometimes ;D Have fun this week end and enjoy the food and company. :)

Wildcat

Hi and welcome to the forum floaty!  The hardest thing I have experienced is patience, especially when on a time table.  I rushed my first batch of ribs and although they tasted great, they were not as tender as they could have been.

If you can, take some pictures and post.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

floaty

I'll be sure to let ya'll know how it goes.  Thanks for the welcome and the tips.  I'll be sure not to peek.  I plan on letting them smoke for about 5-6 hrs.  I've heard not to take them out to soon or they won't be tender. 
Have a great weekend,
Floaty

coyote

Welcome floaty , Get ready for good food , friends and company. The forum cats will always jump in to
help ya. They sure have helped me. :)
                                                        Have fun ,be forum active ,
                                                                                     Coyote