On The Job Ribs

Started by Consiglieri, March 08, 2007, 10:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

Consiglieri,

Great job, the ribs look great. Ribs are one thing I haven't been able to master yet and by looking at yours I think I know why. I don't think I let mine cook long enough because the meat never pulls back that far from the bone. Next time I do mine I am going to let them cook a little longer.

mavrickone

I was just on my way to get a turkey breast and after seeing those pics I think some baby backs will accidently fall into the shopping cart ;)

Mav

West Coast Kansan

Meat starting to pull back is still the only real guide to ribs being done that i have figured out. Others here have great luck on BS ribs, I am still adjusting on ribs. I have achieved good finally, but great is still a work in process.  Any conversation on Ribs needs to include Icemans sauce which is an amazing complement to ribs.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on March 11, 2007, 08:12:27 AM
Meat starting to pull back is still the only real guide to ribs being done that i have figured out. Others here have great luck on BS ribs, I am still adjusting on ribs. I have achieved good finally, but great is still a work in process.  Any conversation on Ribs needs to include Icemans sauce which is an amazing complement to ribs.

You hit the nail on the head! ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

A few things i've noticed in my quest for perfect ribs apart from the usual removing of membrane etc:

If i'm applying a rub, i do so just before putting the ribs into the BS, i've found leaving rubbed ribs in the fridge overnight, or even a few hours draws on the meat too much and can make them dry, too much salt in a rub also can make the meat dry. I never cut the racks into portions, i leave them whole, even if it means bending them to fit the tray, sometimes i've just hung them in the BS with hooks with good results, i find leaving the racks whole helps to keep in the moisture.

Sometimes i have ribs cooking in the BS for 6 hours plus, and more often than not i'll finish them in the oven with apple juice at 190f for 2 hours or so as recommended by icerat4 ;), or maybe in the crockpot with some sauce.

I like my ribs very tender, not to the point where they disintegrate, just very tender. One of my sons is a real rib addict, he's been giving my ribs the thumbs up lately so i'm getting there, but the quest continues  ;D ;)

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

icerat4

Ive done ribs with a boat load of rub and ones with lil to none and ones with mild amount.The mild amount wins hands down IMO.Folks do like the plain ones as they put sauce on to there liking.Thats a great way to do them if unsure what people like.But the ones done with the boat load of rub .Dint come out dry.As none of mine do  ;D ;D ;).But just too much of the rub taste then smoke.Still mighty tastey.Thats my 2 cents ;D.So i stay on the medium part on the rub.And alway allow time in wrap and in fridge for overnight.RATOUT. 8)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

floaty

Hello all, just wanted to let all of you know how it went this past Saturday.  Put the ribs in at noon at a temp on 205...let'em smoke until 6pm alternating apple bisquettes and hickory.  Got'em out, sprayed them with apple juice and sealed them in foil/towel/cooler for another hour.  At 7pm everyone was digging in!  They were so much better than I had expected them since this was my first try on the bradley.  Thanks to everyone for the help and ideas.  I didn't do too much peeking! ;D

coyote

Way to go , Floaty . It really is hard not to peek sometimes.
                                                                         Coyote

iceman

Good job floaty! ;D Glad to hear it turned out for you. :)

Consiglieri

Peeking?  we don't peek... we, uh...  :-\ rotate racks, or baste, or sample internal temperatures.  Maybe the next BS design could include a large double pane window so that we can see the smoke swirling around the interior.

Good job, Floaty.  Your discipline must be better than mine in the ole' checking on progress department.
Consiglieri

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

floaty

well, im probably like most you ya'll...i'm still critical on myself when it comes to any form of cooking.  I think I put too much rub on the ribs and I also think that they weren't as tender as I personally would like them to be.  My wife thought otherwise.  However, I will continue to work on it and develop my ribs to as close as perfection as I can get.
Now....does anyone have a simple recipe for a tasty rub?  I emphasize the word "simple".
later,
Floaty

Gizmo

Salt, Pepper, Garlic (granulated or powder).
That is as simple as it gets unless you remove the Garlic :D

I like to add a little something different so instead of salt:
Adjust quantities to taste

Celery Salt (1/2 cup)
White Pepper (1/4 cup)
Ground pepper (1/4 cup)
Garlic Granulated or powder (1/4 cup)
Onion Powder (1/4 cup)
Paprika (1/2 cup)
chili powder (1/2 cup)
brown sugar (1/2 cup)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

icerat4

I use emrils rib rub.Very nice id say .No complaints and ive done at least 75-100 slabs of these in the past year.

Nice and tastie lol ;D.Give the rub a try its at domonicks or jewel or check online emrils rib rub,

Just another weekend with the smoker...

hillbillysmoker

Looks like more yummy for the tummy....
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes