On The Job Ribs

Started by Consiglieri, March 08, 2007, 10:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

My next batch of ribs I think I am just going to put some salt and pepper on them then smoke. When they are done FTC and sauce. Also make sure I cook them long enough. I think sometimes I try and get too fancy and thats where I run into trouble.

Wildcat

With ribs, I plan to stick with one of two simple rubs:

1.  Salt, Pepper, and then Iceman's sauce and finish on charcoal grill; or
2.  Iceman's rub.

Can't get any more simple than that and both turn out wonderful.
:)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

Next time I do ribs, I'm gonna remove the membrane, use a little less smoke, and tent or FTC with a little apple juice (or something) along in there.  My first attempt was good, but I didn't know about the membrane on them (so I was put off by that), and the ends tasted like ashes...middle bones were awesome.

coyote

Hey Wilcat , I still haven't been able to try Iceman's sauce. I've been sick damn near the whole time
since it came in the mail. But real soon my gallbladder and I will be parting company :).......
And then , look out 'cause the ol'Coyote is gettin' sauced......the Goose Bay Way 8)...Did I mention ,
The Iceman is way Coooooool 8)
                                                                              Coyote

Wildcat

Yeah he is cool, has an outstanding workshop, and makes the best sauce in the world.  I still have not gotten around to adding some alcohol to some of his sauce and drinking it.  I bet it would be good.

IKnowWood

Oh my, Goose Bay Brew!  Or "Brew-with-Attitude"

Back to the ribs, I have tried many different rubs, sauce, and methods over the years.  The last several ribs we did have been the best.

light sprinkle with Goose-Bay Pig Rib, not to much.  Rest overnight in fridge, then an hour before smoke time I take them out and sprinkle more on to a light layer of rub.  Not to much, I want to see a lot of the rib there. The rub is light flavoring. 

Then its in the smoker at 200 to 205 degrees.  2 hours later I start spritz and rotate with Apple Juice once an hour.  Total smoke time of 4 to 5 hours Pecan (Yes I like smoke flavor). 

at 6 hours, I test IT (which is usually 190 to 195 by then)  and pull them and FTC for 1 to 2 dependig if we are waiting for anyone to come by.

Then its serve, add sauce on yur plate if you want them. 

Note, Sauce / Baste does not go on in the smoker anymore.  Its moist enough when it comes out of FTC in our opinion.  Sauce is added flavoring on the plate (which I do lightly now with Sauce with Attitude).

This is they way I plan to do them again. 

I have done the medium heavy no suger and sugar and heavy sugar rubs and they all are either to chewy or sweat to taste the rib.  But  Ribs are one thing that is very individual in taste and texture.  Its fun to learn and experiment with for sure.

Good job to all of you in your Rib Adventures. Hey new Food-TV show idea.  "Rib Adventurs"  Travel across the land / world and enjoy lerning and experimenting different ways people do BBQ Ribs... 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Consiglieri

All these ideas and pictures are making me hungry.  And I'll be away from the smoker this weekend and unable to experiment.  Will look forward to the next adventure, though.
Consiglieri

Wildcat

Hey IKnowWood.  Have you tried putting a lite coat of Ice's sauce after the smoke and then on to a hot charcoal grill for a couple of minutes?  It kind of cooks the sauce into the top layer on the ribs and adds a hint of charcoal flavor to boot.  Yummie. 8)