Need smoked ham advice

Started by SmokeRules, August 29, 2004, 06:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeRules

Smoked a ham yesterday and had fair results. This one was a 7lb, trimmed, pre-cooked with the bone-in (per pkg, 25% of the weight was from salt and water added). I looked for one with the most fat, but in my Kroger, they only have prepackaged trimmed hams.

The plan was to smoke it for 6 hours at 200 and take it out when it reached 160 IT.

Gave it a light rub, let it get to room temp while I preheated the Bradley. Put it in the smoker wrapped in a damp t-shirt.After 7 hours in the BS (of which 3 hours was maple smoke), it was at 143 when I pulled it. Seemed to get to 134 and then stayed there for a really long time. After removing from the Bradley, let it rest for an hour in a towel and foil in the cooler.

The ham was a little salty and a little dry.

Can I do anything to cut the saltiness next time? What about not getting to 160 IT? Should I increase the heat and cook it shorter?

nsxbill

I set mine at 15 degrees higher than the internal temp I am shooting for, and as high as you can get away from the temp lamp.  

Vents open about 1/8-1/4.  Make sure to dump and fill the stainless bowl with boiling water after every 4-6 hours.  

Someone posted up their temp-drop solution of putting pre-fitted brick at bottom of smoker that they pre-heat in oven.  Going to try that so you don't get such a temp drop when you open the door to do whatever.

160 internal not cooked enough for me to be comfortable with.  Only experience thus far was with two 6.25lb shoulders at the same time.  I rotated top to bottom half way through, and never let the temp get much over 195 for the approx 20hrs it was in the smoker.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.