How Stupid of me.....Need Advice

Started by carnie1, March 12, 2007, 07:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnie1

Just did a nice Pastrami according to Habs recipie, after FTC was waiting to cool before putting the fridge but completly forgot about it  :-[ , Remembered real quick when I saw it on the counter this morning, What ya think I should do? Eat or toss?

Mr Walleye

Because it's cured its probably ok. How long did you leave it out? Was it in FTC the whole time?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

carnie1

It was out from about 7 till 7am in a double wrap of foil

Mr Walleye

Hopefully some others will weigh in here but I think it would be ok. Was it still warm or room temp?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

owrstrich

somebody kidnapped of my briskets once...

it was found about 12 hours later... still wrapped in foil...

it was the best brisket ever... that was last year... im still alive and well...

your brisket being cured and all... if it were my brisket... i would eat the beast...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Tiny Tim

I've been hesitant on weighing in on this issue, since I sometimes eat stuff that really shouldn't be eaten in the condition I eat it in, but I agree with the others...it should be safe.

manxman

Given that it is cured and was foil wrapped the whole time IMO it would be safe to eat.
Manxman

LilSmoker

carnie1: i'll test it for you, ship it over to me and i'll get back to you  :P

Seriously though, i'm sure it will be ok, as Manx said if it's been cured (4 days as to recipe) and been covered well, i reckon you'll be fine.

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

carnie1

Thanks for the input, I figured most of what everybody said too, gonna slice some up tonight

LilSmoker

Well carnie1, you're in for a treat!, i've done a few of Habs pastramis now, we're totaly hooked on the stuff!, i have my brother constantly asking for "more pastrami" every time i speak to him, in fact everybody who's been to my place has tried it, and come back for more very quickly!  ;D

Bet you'll be making more in the future  ;D.................LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

manxman

Quotegonna slice some up tonight

Be sure to post back and let us know you are OK?!  ;)
Manxman

carnie1

Well I layered thin slices of Pastrami and smoked swiss cheese (no roll) and ate quite a bit of it with no ill effects so far. I'll be sure to let ya know if anything does.

coyote

Look at it this way....4th of July picnics are really hot . 90 to 100 degrees , people eat food thats
been out all day long , and then take some home. At least they do at our reunion. Well , the ones
I hated to see last year are the same ones I'll hate too see this year. :( There's always this July  ::)

Coyote

Arcs_n_Sparks

carnie1,

As others have mentioned, not a problem cured and all wrapped up. I've have left stuff out overnight with less care and not had an issue. Remember, we use to not have refrigeration, and depended on cures and salts to keep the bacteria at bay. Smell and taste are still good indicators today as they were 100 years ago....

Of course, for good measure, I add Jack Daniels to the mix...

coyote

Ditto on that Arcs.............Always add Jack Daniels to the mix. ;D