Feeding a large crowd

Started by capt.mike, August 30, 2004, 02:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.mike

I will be cooking for a large crowd this weekend and I am trying to have everything finished around the same time so I would like some input from you veteran smokers.
Doing a 6Lb.butt and I need to do about 8 racks of ribs don't know if I will get baby backs or not yet. Can I do all 8 racks of ribs at the same time using extra racks that I ordered from Kirk?
If I put the 8 racks of ribs in 1 smoke about how long do you think it will take? I was planning on doing the butt the day before I am guessing about 1 1/2 hrs per Lb.and putting it in a crock pot to reheat it but I don't want it to be too dry.
Thanks, Mike

whitetailfan

Captain,
I recommend longer for the butt.  You have it around 9 hours and while it might only take that long, plan to have 12 available to you.
Yes, you should re-warm butt in a slow cooker / crock pot.
I use this method all the time, because if I don't have a large crowd I freeze bags of the pulled pork.  Way more effective than a microwave, which I think would ruin the meal.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

BigSmoker

Capt. Mike,
This link will take you to a link for planning for large crowd cooking.  I discusses planning, portions, really all you need to pull off a great event.  I hope it helps.  I also agree with WTF on the butt cook times.  Plan for 12 hrs and if you finish early so much the better.  Good luck and Happy Smokin'

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

For a 6# butt, 9 hours sounds reasonable to me if it's the only thing you're smoking. But, as the others have said, it's a whole lot nicer to be done early rather than up at 1am when you were planning to be in bed at 10.

8 racks of babies might be a little tight but can probably be done. Just don't crowd them too much or you'll get no circulation. You'll have to halve them to fit unless they're really baby babies. Time-wise, I'd guess 6-8 hours.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

capt.mike

Thanks for the input. I think I will do 4 slabs of ribs and cut them in half. The butt I will put on about 8pm and should be ready by morning.

capt.mike

I am planning on doing the butt on Sat. putting it on about 8am to about 8pm and wrapping it with foil and a towell and putting it in a cooler for a few hours.I will have to serve it on Sunday. Should I pull it after it rest or leave it whole and reheat it the next day then pull it I don't realy want it to be too dry.
Thanks, Mike

whitetailfan

Captain,
My two cents is to pull it same day as you smoke it.  Some of the others here would definitely be better to answer, but here's what I'm thinking:
You have spent a long time slow roasting the butt which breaks down all the connective tissue allowing you to "pull" the meat instead of slicing it.  If you cook a pork roast fast, it does not perform the way a good barbecue butt does.  My worry would be that when you cool down the meat overnight all of the juices solidify, and you pass up the best chance to pull it.  I don't know how you would re-warm the meat to get it to the same perfect stage that you spent all day working to achieve.

I find that although its never exactly the same as fresh, if you slow cook/crock pot reheat the meat the next day you do not suffer a big moisture loss.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

BigSmoker

capt.
I have heard of people reheating next day or two utilizing coke.
Just can't remember if it was here or elsewhere.  Best I remember use some bottled coke in pot with butt, heat slow.  Maybe this helps.  Coke is supposed to help keep meat tender.[:)]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

Mike,

We smoked up 120# of butt in advance for the Indy 500. Seasoned it with a light vinegar-based sauce & froze it. Then warmed it up on Saturday in crockpots without any additional additives. Tasted just as good as the day we made it.

I agree with WTF, I like to shred mine just as soon as it's cool enough not to burn the bejesus out of my hands.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

capt.mike,

Concerning the foil wrap and the towl thing.  I'm sure you know I use this religously, wouldn't smoke butt with out doing it.  These are my thoughts:  adjust your start time a little, you will be up all night anyway.  I have wrapped and then placed butts in a cooler with a buch of towls and have litterly been amazed on how long they will stay <font color="red">BLAZING</font id="red"> hot.  I've gone five hours with no problem and I am sure it would probably go further with good safe temps. Just a thought.  What ever you do, have fun.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Fuzzybear

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I like to shred mine just as soon as it's cool enough not to burn the bejesus out of my hands.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yikes Kirk!  Owww wowwwwww owwww! LOL!  Ooooh it feels nice getting even with the master!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

OH My[:I][:I][:I]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

capt.mike

Thanks for all the advise. Without the helpful people on this board I would probably have wasted a lot of money on meats and my smoker would be sitting in the garage.
The smoker is loaded up in my truck and will be heading to the beach.I will let all of you know how things turned out.
Mike

capt.mike

Well everything turned out great. Smoked the butt for 12 hrs. and it came out perfect.The ribs were about 8 hrs because I had a lot in the smoker.This was my first time doing a butt and it couldn't have come out any better.It had a good bark and the taste was perfect,I did do the wrap method, double foil and towels and into the cooler for 6 hrs and was still hot when I pulled it.
Thanks again for everyone's help.Mike