jerky recipe

Started by Sabre, March 15, 2007, 12:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabre

Im looking for the best recipe for jerky you all have, Im up all night with the smoker sitting in the garage stairing at me just wanting to cook something... Im workong nights at the local nuclear power plant refueling outage, its just started and things are slow so naturally every one wants to eat. hope you can help...  ;D  thanks..go sabres

NePaSmoKer

hey just toss some meat strips in the nuke area (kidding) ::)

you want my Amish jerky recipe?  :o

nepas

iceman

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 15, 2007, 07:32:11 PM
hey just toss some meat strips in the nuke area (kidding) ::)

you want my Amish jerky recipe?  :o

nepas
Hey don't forget me nepa ;D :D

coyote

From Alaska to West Virginia.......we're waiting Nepas. ;D

Gizmo

I'd like to see that recipe to NePa.

Sabre, do you want dry or wet?

For dry, try Hi Mountain:  https://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/home.php?cat=248

For wet, you can make your own:

Some typical basic ingredients for about 2 lbs of beef:

2/3 C Soy Sauce (I like to mix 1/2 lite and 1/2 normal)
2/3 C Worcestershire.
1/2 C Brown Sugar if you want it sweet (or some honey qty to taste)

Extras: about a tablespoon or teaspoon full of these
Garlic (or granulated garlic)
Onion Powder
Cumin
Pepper (any or all of these - black, white, crushed red, cayanne, habanero, chili, ancho)
Liquid smoke if you are not using the smoker ... smoker is a better flavor though IMHO
Just about anything else you think would taste good.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

coyote

Thanks Giz .
            Coyote

carnie1

C'mon NePa lets see it
I'm gonna be back up there in about 2 weeks with no smoker no grill, no grinder, no stuffer, no nothing ( I gotta go back to work) and I leave all my cookin' goodies here in FL, I'm real close to you (right off 443) for the month of April , so I might look you up for some of that Jerky. Anyway I haven't made Jerky yet this winter so lets try yours.  ;D Heard you're gonna get more snow too, Lucky U

NePaSmoKer

Ok here it is but dont tell anyone  ;D

This is what an Amish man gave me.

2 bottles of amish root beer (store bought is ok) I have also used Moxie soda
1tblsp finely minced garlic
1tsp salt
1tsp ground pepper
1 pnd meat strips
1 extra tsp of salt and pepper for a  sprinkle mix later

reduce the rootbeer on med heat till you have 1 cup. Remove from heat and add dry items (only 1 tsp salt/ 1tsp pepper) except the meat. Whisk together and let stand 30 mins. Place meat in marinade 1 hour or overnite is better. When you put the meat on your racks sprinkle with the extra salt/pepper mix onto wet meat. Smoke for 1 1/2 hrs hickory @160 then finish with no smoke @170 until bendable (not brittle) or after the smoke you can put in dehydrator.

Be sure to have your vent all the way open and no water in your pan.

Note: This recipe was for 100 pnds of meat done in a walkin smokehouse. I had to do alot of playing with it to get the recipe right for the BS. You can add whatever you like to the recipe for a different taste, just dont leave the rootbeer out.  Oak was used alot by the Amish for smoking. This is basic plain Amish way of jerky making, Have fun experimenting  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

carnie1
come on over

yeah more snow in the am i guess, they say 5 to 9" heavy wet snow  :( really sick of it now.

nepas

Sabre

Thanks Nepa, I just got home and saw the recipe for the amish jerky! It sounds great, Ive got sunday night off so it looks like Ill be spending it with Mr Bradley and an easy chair in the garage. I hope it turns out as good as it sounds.
Thanks again....... Sabre

Gizmo

Super, thanks NePa.

I just brought home some top round for some jerky and going to give this a try.  My future son-in-law is getting ready to go to Florida (traveling TSA) and I wanted to send him off with some jerky.  The last few times he has been able to come here for a few weeks, I have showed him how to make it (wet marinade with smoker and dehydrator).  He got here just after I finished a batch of High Mountain and wet but that is almost gone.
This will be a new twist  I am looking forward to.  I also have some HM teriyaki that I haven't tried yet as well.

Not sure what Amish Rootbeer is so am hoping most any brand will do.  Did a quick search on the web and only found some concentrated extract.

Thanks again.

carnie1

Thanks nepa
Will try that this week, I take that is for 1lb, if I want 5 lbs multiply everything by 5?

Gizmo

The quantities he has posted do work for the 1 LB.
I am going to take half of the 1lb and add some additional seasoning the I mixed up today just to see how the Amish recipe along with additional seasoning turns out compared to the original.  This is getting to be too much fun.

NePaSmoKer

The Amish use the rootbeer extract alot for their mix. I found that Kutztown rb works real good and Moxie cola. Dont know if ya'll can get either but i imagine any rb will work.  ;D

I have had  mine marinating now for 22 hours, gotta take it out and rack it. This prob wont be going to Iraq/Afgn for the sons. Its dads turn to eat it  ;D

Enjoy

nepas

TxSmoker

Quote from: Gizmo on March 16, 2007, 06:20:05 PM
I also have some HM teriyaki that I haven't tried yet as well.
I have tried the HM teriyaki twice now and it was a big let down, sort of.  It was a let down because it doesn't taste like teriyaki, no taste at all except the smoke flavor of the meat. I'm going to up the amount of seasoning next time to see if that changes anything. The first time I did it and it came out that way I thought maybe I did something wrong, so I tried it again with the same results. I have had great results with the hickory flavor, but I did the mandrin BBQ and it turned out the same as the teriyaki, no flavor other than the smoke.
I said "sort of", because it was a let down by not tasting like teriyaki or BBQ, BUT, I found that I LOVE the taste of the meat with the natural smoke flavor. I actually think I like it better than the hickory, and it's a heck of a lot less salty!! If anyone else has had this problem I would be interested to know if you fixed it.
Steve