Food/Meat slicer

Started by Tiny Tim, February 20, 2007, 11:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

I've been looking around the 'net for a good, but cheap slicer.  I want the unit to be made from a metal, not plastic, and have the capability to slice at least 3/4 inch thick.  Here's the kicker - I'm also looking to spend under $100 before shipping and handling.

Would any of you guys have any info on the Deni 7.5", 100 or 130 Watt slicers, or the Cook's Essentials 7.5" 100 Watt available from QVC (their number is K5710)?  Or any other units worth checking into, available online?

LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Tiny Tim

Thank you...looks like one of the better ones I had on my list, from a different source.  I noticed that there's a dicount involved if I use their card (I have one, but haven't used it in many years).  I'm in communication with them to try to get it at the discounted price.

LilSmoker

Good luck TT, hope you get a good deal  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Gizmo

Tiny,
Take a look at the blade area.  If there is no guard or cover over the blade, I would stay away from that type of model.  The picture doesn't show it, but on similar products I looked at, (or the same one) there is no guard.  The problem with that is the meat sticks to the blade and tries to rotate after the cut, or flips out of the slider tray.  Mind you this is not all the time (that it will stick) but it is annoying.  I have had a < $100 dollar slicer for several years and have almost worn it out.  So I have gotten some good use out of it but am about ready to plop down the big coins for a professional model.  The other issue I have with my current model and may be an issue with many of the cheaper home models, is the slider tray comes back farther than the thickness guide/back wall area.  This allows larger cuts of meat (like what I use most often with beef jerky or bacon, to get wedged between the slide tray and the thickness guide leading edge causing a repositioning of the meat on the slide tray.  This one appears as if it would do the same.  If you are only slicing small round pieces of deli meat, cheese, sausage, etc. it would not be a problem.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

This one looks better than others I've seen, but I may be looking further too...we'll see what JCP tells me.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tiny Tim on February 20, 2007, 06:42:22 PM
This one looks better than others I've seen, but I may be looking further too...we'll see what JCP tells me.

Take Gizmo's advice. I bought one that was similar to that one, and believe me without the guard it is not good for slicing meat. As Gizmo states when you draw backwards the meat gets stuck to the blade. When that happens the meat will twist, and you have to manually pick the meat up and realign it. It's not worth it.

It does a heck of a job on vegetables, but that is not what I bought mine for.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

I carve eveything by hand. ;).One less toy to store or leave out.I love gagets as much as the next guy.But i dont think the amount of smoked stuff i do requires a meat slicer. ;D just my 2 cents

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 21, 2007, 04:36:34 AM

Take Gizmo's advice. I bought one that was similar to that one, and believe me without the guard it is not good for slicing meat. As Gizmo states when you draw backwards the meat gets stuck to the blade. When that happens the meat will twist, and you have to manually pick the meat up and realign it. It's not worth it.

Since I had no troubles with the "un-guarded" unit that I borrowed from a neighbor, I went against the advice and got a Deni 7.5" from Target.com.  Supposed to be arriving sometime today.  I figure a little Pam will help if I have a sticking problem.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tiny Tim on March 05, 2007, 11:21:58 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 21, 2007, 04:36:34 AM

Goog luck.
Since I had no troubles with the "un-guarded" unit that I borrowed from a neighbor, I went against the advice and got a Deni 7.5" from Target.com.  Supposed to be arriving sometime today.  I figure a little Pam will help if I have a sticking problem.

Thanks for the info, guys.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tiny Tim

Finally tried the slicer last night, on my dried beef project.  Works really nice after a couple of tweaks to my procedure of using it.  Only problem was "finishing" the cut...fixed that by removing the "rind" from my foods, since I'm not crazy about that part anyway.  Can't quite cut as thin as Dad would like, but I can get it between our preferences.