baby back ribs and the membrane?

Started by scubasmoker, March 16, 2007, 04:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cajun

After sliding the ribs ALL over the counter top putting one foot on one end and pulling like hell I fineally got it on the floor and chased it through the kitchen, picked it up and went out in the shop and put them in the vise and pulled some more. I got it (the membrane) off now it looks like I don't need no rub looks like it's seasoned already :-\
There is a place for all of Gods animals right next to the mashed potatos and gravy

Tiny Tim

lol

Next time, epoxy a 9x13x2 glass dish to the counter top...that ought to keep the slab contained enough to get the membrane off. :D

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Quote from: Cajun on April 13, 2007, 07:34:22 AM
   After sliding the ribs ALL over the counter top putting one foot on one end and pulling like hell I fineally got it on the floor and chased it through the kitchen, picked it up and went out in the shop and put them in the vise and pulled some more. I got it (the membrane) off now it looks like I don't need no rub looks like it's seasoned already :-\

Now that's funny!
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

CHUCKWAGON

Quote from: Tiny Tim on April 13, 2007, 07:38:35 AM
lol

Next time, epoxy a 9x13x2 glass dish to the counter top...that ought to keep the slab contained enough to get the membrane off. :D
I THINK I'LL TRY THIS I AM DOING ABOUT EIGHT RACKS THIS WEEKEND ::)
If You Get Up From The Table Hungry You Ain't At My House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iceman

Shoot guys, I just break out the nail gun and zap them babies to the counter! ;D
Makes the boss lady madder then a wet hen replacing the counter tops all the time but what the heck! :D ;D ;)

CHUCKWAGON

If You Get Up From The Table Hungry You Ain't At My House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LilSmoker

Quote from: iceman on April 13, 2007, 11:53:16 AM
Shoot guys, I just break out the nail gun and zap them babies to the counter! ;D
Makes the boss lady madder then a wet hen replacing the counter tops all the time but what the heck! :D ;D ;)

Hey stop it iceman, before i ruin another keyboard!  ;D
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Gizmo

Hey Iceman, Thanks for clearing that up on the wood counter tops.  I use to use Formica Contact Cement on Formica counters but now I use Liquid Nails for Granite counters to "glue" the food down so it wont move around.  Keeps the salmon down too when I use the wind tunnel fan for forming the pelicle.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Quote from: iceman on April 13, 2007, 11:53:16 AM

Can't understand the anger. ???  Seems like she does not have to worry about cleaning up since your just going to replace it anyway. ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Cajun

I agree once you get the end started use a paper towl to grasp the membrane and start working your way down in one good straight pull use a kitchen knife to get under the membrane and the bone and start working your fingers in...
There is a place for all of Gods animals right next to the mashed potatos and gravy

dewy

I found out they come off much easier if the ribs are just thawed a little bit but mostly frozen.Take an ice pick and work it in under one side untill theres enough roo to get your finger under it and start pulling real slow and easy and it should come off in one piece.For fresh unfrozen ribs I send the kids outside and use a lot of profanity to get the membrane off ;)

Wildcat

I have never purchased frozen, nor have I ever froze ribs.  May have to give it a try sometime if it really helps.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

dewy

Just tried it the other day and it worked pretty slick, both membranes came off in one piece with very little effort.It was a frozen rack that had been taken out and let sit in the fridge overnight.Im gonna be doing some more here in the next week and theyre frozen as well, if it works that good a second time Ill definately let you know.The ribs dont need to be completely frozen i dont believe just so the meats stiff and theres a litle frost forming on them.

smokin stu

oh all right, I will cook up a bunch of ribs this weekend and try and take the membranes off.

I will burden myself with trying a new technique......  this dog can learn a new trick......

Of course, that means I have a pile of ribs to eat this weekend as well.