Cold Smoked Salmon - Does this look right?

Started by mbgriffi, May 31, 2004, 06:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Goodmorning Tom (tsguared),
Regarding your other inquiry, I've used both Taylor's and Polder's for years. Although not flashy with multiple functions, just your basic temperature and your high and low alarm I haven't experienced any problems with them as long as your careful (Exposing them to water ect.). Anyhow Polder's, it's just a call to your local C.N.I.B and they will deliver to your door for about $40. I year warranty and if you have a problem they are 5 minutes away and they handle the shipping.Regarding your cold smoking, if you where living here today it wouldn't be an issue with the windchill we're experiencing down here. Anyhow being that you are in God's country, ( I'm jealous )looks like you'll have rain for the next week just keeping it under cover and try to get some of that north wind on it, and along with the ice in a bowl you shouldn't have a problem. Keep in mind with no heat or little heat smoke adheres better, so error on the side of light. I generally do my cheese/mussells/devilled eggs ect., about an hour or so. Good luck with the cold smoking!!![8D]

Ian
<b>( GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!)</b>

Ian

Good Afternoon Mark (mbgriffi),
Mark to be honest with you, to make a true Scotch Sugar Rum Cured Eastcoast Salmon fillets is a long and somewhat involved process. I would have to sit here going back and fourth with you for a couple days[:)]. In my humble opinion go to your local bookstore and try to pick up "Smoking Salmon and Trout," by  Jack Whelan, by Aerie Publishing. It's an old book but very informative and it walks you through with pictures step by step.[8D]

Ian
<b>( GO STEELERS!!!!!!)</b>

tsquared

Thanks for the info Ian. I'm going to go with a Maverick that my brother in law will transship from california for me. As for the salmon, I will let you know how it goes. We had a great season this year for springs and coho and the boss has laid down the law re our freezer. She says it's catch and release until we eat some of this salmon. The local salmon spot (10 minutes drive to the marina) is yielding limits in 8-14 lb spring salmon right now. I'll have to get smoking and give some away for xmas so I can take advantage of the hot fishing.
Cheers,
Tom

Tyeeangler

I guess I should have been a little more specific when I mentioned my 24 hour drying tactic.
As stated in my original posting, I placed my salmon in my "cool" garage for 24 hours.  I live in Washington State, and the time of year this incident took place was in February when the temperature outside was less than the temp in my fridge!!
The point of my e-mail was to describe what I discovered by accident---not to prescribe to all of you to place your fish in an environment of risk.
Subsequent "dryings" have taken place in a dedicated fridge (which keeps my wife happy) in my garage.  This fridge also provides me with a nice place to store cold beverages- which serves as a reminder that smoking should be fun.
The point of my posting was to stress the contributing factors of drying, in which many people underestimate it's importance.