Newbie to this forum

Started by Macman, March 17, 2007, 04:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilSmoker

Thanks guys, i keep meaning to make a permanent chamber, but then i think why bother when the cardboard works fine, and a box seems to last for a lot of smokes  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Toker

Hey LilS just by curiosity, did you ever made a smoked meat (mean beef sanwich that we usually eat with hot mustard and a pikkle)? i know its hot smoking (out of conversation sorry) would you still bake it with alluminum paper even with the bradley? or you wont cause you want the wood arome to penetrate in the meat? thx

hillbillysmoker

Neat setup LilS.  Starting my own efforts at this so thanks for the pictures.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

LilSmoker

Quote from: toker1313 on April 13, 2007, 12:21:32 AM
Hey LilS just by curiosity, did you ever made a smoked meat (mean beef sanwich that we usually eat with hot mustard and a pikkle)? i know its hot smoking (out of conversation sorry) would you still bake it with alluminum paper even with the bradley? or you wont cause you want the wood arome to penetrate in the meat? thx

Hi toker, do you mean like pastrami?, if so i would highly recommend Habanero Smokers pastrami recipe, it really is awesome! i can't stop eating it  ;D

Anyway here's some i did last weekend:

Lovely sandwich, with mustard, also had pickles with it:

Here's the recipe if you'd like to make some, cure takes 4 days, and i can tell you it's worth the wait!

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157

Lilsmoker

Toker

HEY THX YEAH was speaking about this maybe different name but thats it man once again your ptctures are awsome!!! :o

Habanero Smoker

LS;
Every time I see your sandwich I start uncontrollably drooling.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

I've been drooling so much lately with all those great pictures I'm getting dehydrated!!! :P :D ;D

IKnowWood

I'd drool if I know how this tasted.   I am skitish when it comes to Corned Beef, I know this is Pastrami but it starts as Corned Beef.  So...  Guess I got to do some to appreciate it.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Gizmo

IKW,
Just think of Pastrami as dry cured heavily seasoned smoked beef brisket.   ;D
It is delish.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Quote from: Gizmo on April 13, 2007, 06:05:57 PM
IKW,
Just think of Pastrami as dry cured heavily seasoned smoked beef brisket.   ;D
It is delish.

You betcha!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

IKnowWood

Thanks for the comparison.  I have had good Briskey before.  But I have not smoked that myself either.  Why?  I don't know.  When thinking about smoking something, its almost always Ribs / Butt / London Broil / Turkey Breast or Chicken.  Rarely does my mind think about Brisket.

to many other choices I guess.  I Need to get the focus and try it.  Sometime in the future I will...
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

LilSmoker

IKW: You really should treat yourself to the Habs pastrami, it's well worth the effort  ;)

Boybach

Hi LS
Where do you get Moretons Tender quick in UK. Can you give me a lead please as I would love to do some Pastrami Habs style.
By the way I'm smug smug smug after last week-end. Everything went according to plan and when our last house guests left this morning the took a slab of cold smoked salmon with them. All the guys were suitably impressed with the quality of food that came out of theOBS and now want a toy themselves.
See ya
Neil

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Toker

and if i cant find some morton can i replace it? If yes by what? Any kind of salt? thx

Gizmo

No, Tenderquick cannot be substitued with any kind of salt (such as sea salt, Iodize salt/table salt, kosher salt, etc) for the same result.  Salt is basically sodium chloride.  Tenderquick has sodium nitrite which changes the meats flavor, preserves the meat's color (why pastramie will have a bright pink appearance), keeps the bugs and bacteria from growing.  The keeping the bugs and bacteria out are the main reason it is used for dry-curing and smoking where your food is held in the danger zone (40 to 140 degrees farenhite or 4 to 60 degrees celsius).   There are a lot of variations (substitues) for Tenderquick such as Insta Cure #1, DQ Curing Salt, T.C.M, tinted cure mix.  It is also known as "pink salt".  The curing salt is comprised of 93.75 percent salt and 6.25 percent nitrite.  Curing salt should also be applied per instructions from the manufacturer as high concentrations of nitrites are not good.  There is another variation of curing salt by adding nitrates (such as in Insta Cure #2).  This is more commenly used for dry curing sausages or curing over a long time period as the nitrates are like a time released action. 

Hopefully this wasn't tooooooo much info.   :D
Try www.sausagemaker.com.  I believe they will ship internationally.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/