Caribou Jerky

Started by zr2paul, August 30, 2004, 05:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zr2paul

I have 3lbs of Caribou that I'd like to make jerky with.  1lbs is seasoned with Mesquite and 2lbs is with Hickory.  My question is should I smoke these in 2 different sessions....Hickory with Hickory Pucks adn Mesquite with Mesquite Pucks?  Or should I not match anything and use Maple, Cherry, Apple whatever for both?  Any advise would be much appreciated.

Also, I guess I don't even need to smoke the meat since the flavor is there.  I could simply just dry it out using the heater correct?

How long should I have them in there for? (4-6 hours @ 160F)???

Thanks
Paul

jaeger

Paul,
IMO I would smoke it all with the same wood. Since 3# is not to large of a batch I would also add something else like maybe a chopped and formed. There is what is called a jerky gun or cannon that would be well worth the investment if you don't already have one.
   I have found that the color seems to get better with a little bit hotter temp. I like to stay around 180 to 190 degrees. You just have to rotate the racks and sometimes even flip the pieces. I don't mind opening the door a little more often than normal when I am smoking jerky because I feel it lets out more humidity and once everything is hot it recovers fast enough. If you use the temps I mentioned it will be done inside of 4 hours.
Good Luck. Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out?