Now the Million dollar question....

Started by cingnut, March 21, 2007, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cingnut

My big question is this, I am definitely going to build/integrate a PID into my smoker regardless of whether I buy digital  or not, does that make purchasing a digital a waste of money?  What features make the digital a "must have" besides the 6 racks and smoke timer? 

iceman

Welcome cingnut.
IMO unless you feel the need for the extra room in the six rack I would stick with the original. You're already going through the trouble of integrating a PID into the picture so you don't need the digital bells and whistles anyhow. As far as timing your smoke goes, that's controlled by how many pucks you load in the tube anyhow. Also if your doing long smokes ie briskets you wouldn't have to worry about resetting the timer when it runs out.
Just a thought. Have fun what ever you decide and keep everyone posted on your adventures. ;D

cingnut

Quote from: iceman on March 21, 2007, 10:26:15 AM
Welcome cingnut.
IMO unless you feel the need for the extra room in the six rack I would stick with the original. You're already going through the trouble of integrating a PID into the picture so you don't need the digital bells and whistles anyhow. As far as timing your smoke goes, that's controlled by how many pucks you load in the tube anyhow. Also if your doing long smokes ie briskets you wouldn't have to worry about resetting the timer when it runs out.
Just a thought. Have fun what ever you decide and keep everyone posted on your adventures. ;D

I appreciate the reply, and forgive me for not utilizing the "search" feature.  This forum has sooo much information in it, and a ton of posts, even with the search option this forum feels a little hard to navigate.  By chance was this board blown out and rebuilt some time in the past? 

Tiny Tim

Don't worry about not using the search feature....I've found it's quicker and easier to ask a question and wait for an answer than to try to find "exactly" the answer I need.  Plus, it gives guys like me who hang out here all day something to read. :D

cingnut

Funny thing is I HAVE been using search, it took me a surprisingly long time to get a definition to "FTC" and find plans for a PID, I figured just search on those phrases right?  LOL, aparently not!

Maybe this is just a case of OHS (Operator Head Space).

Tiny Tim

Well, I had tried the search on both of those terms too...finally broke down and asked, had my answer in 10-15 minutes I think.  Spent about an hour searching before that.

It's all good. :)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: cingnut on March 21, 2007, 10:34:04 AM

......... By chance was this board blown out and rebuilt some time in the past? 

Cingnut;
Welcome to the forum. This forum had been updated do to various problems with the original forum. Several posts were lost, and even more did not migrate correctly. This forum has more bells and whistles, but the search options are some of the poorest I've come across.

By the way, Iceman gave you some sound advice.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum Cingnut!

Excellent advice Ice!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Quote from: cingnut on March 21, 2007, 09:49:44 AM
My big question is this, I am definitely going to build/integrate a PID into my smoker regardless of whether I buy digital  or not, does that make purchasing a digital a waste of money?  What features make the digital a "must have" besides the 6 racks and smoke timer? 

Hi Cingnut and Welcome

I have a DBS with a PID and circulation fan installed. Having said that when I first bought it I hadn't given any thought to making any modifications to it. After using it a while I felt I wanted it to be more accurate on temp and give me the confidence to do over night smokes without having temp problems. Plus I like to play with things.  ;D It really does come down to personal preference whether you go OBS or DBS. IMHO I think it plays out like this. The OBS costs less and if you are adding a PID anyway you will have good temp control. On the side of the coin the DBS with a PID allows you to continue to use the digital temp display and have the ability to have the smoke generator shut down after the smoke portion of your cook is complete without you being there. Also the DBS does not have any electronics under the tower which can be an issue for the OBS if you don't manage your vent properly and allow moisture build up in the tower.

Again... having said all this either one will work perfectly especially with the addition of the PID.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

outlander

if you go with the PID with the ramp/soak functions, you can program the PID to turn on and off the smoke generator.a couple extra bucks, but i have found it to be worth it.

chris

Mr Walleye

Outlander

Good job pointing that out. I forgot you set your's up that way.

Mike

coyote

Welcome aboard Cingnut , I know you're gonna enjoy the smokin' section. 8)

Coyote

Habanero Smoker

The issue with moisture forming and running out the bottom of the door can be prevented if you raise the front of the OBS 1/4". If too much moisture forms in the cabinet it will collect at the back of the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Habanero Smoker is right plus through proper vent managment it's not really an issue. I was just pointing out pro's & con's. Like I said you won't go wrong with either one.

Mike

Nonnymus

I use both the timed (Bradley) controls and the differential thermostat at various times.  The differential thermostat is great for brisket, butt and ribs, where you cook low and slow.  However, I've found that I get great results using the Bradley timed controls when cooking smaller pieces of foods, such as wings, jerky, bacon, cheese or nuts, where I think more about temp and time than internal temperature.  I really like the direct temp readout of the digital Bradley, but also suggest a remote thermometer as well if the smoker isn't that accessible.

Nonny