Bacon is big hit

Started by Nonnymus, March 24, 2007, 11:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonnymus

Over the past 6 months or so, I've been smoking ribs, chops, chicken parts and other meats with pleasure on my Bradley.   I'll post on other topics about what I've learned, but I want to pass along here one of my biggest "hits" with the smoker.  We get quite a few guests here at the Nonnyhouse, and I probably get more favorable comments about my bacon than even the ribs or wings we serve.  The bacon is almost too simple to call a recipe, but if you've not thought about it before, here's what I do.

Albertson's has many stores here in the Las Vegas area, and all sell thick-sliced bulk bacon in their meat counter.  I suspect that most other grocery stores do the same, and know for a fact that you can buy bulk bacon at the "club"-type of stores as well, since that's where my neighbor buys his. 

I have the 4-rack Bradley digital smoker and purchased an additional 4 racks, for a total of 8.  I use them like jerky racks- one down with one up in each of the four slots in the smoker.  When it's time to do the bacon, I simply go to the store and get 5# at a time.  The bacon is loosely piled on the kitchen counter on the paper it's wrapped in.  For 5#, I mix up about 1/3 cup of Maple Syrup (purchased at Sam's Club) with an equal amount of water.  This is drizzled over the bacon pieces and mixed in thoroughly.  The bacon strips are then separated and laid out neatly on the smoker racks.

While the bacon is being lightly coated with the Maple syrup and water mix, I preheat the smoke generator but NOT the smoker itself.  When the bacon has been laid out on the racks, I place the racks in the COLD smoker and set the smoke timer for 40 minutes, but with no pucks in it to chase off the one I'm using.  I then manually place ONE Bradley apple wood puck on the hot plate and make sure the damper is fully open.  I let the one puck go for about 30-40 minutes, then remove the racks and place the bacon into Foodsaver vacuum bags for future use.

Things I learned is that straight Maple syrup is too thick and adds too much candy-like flavor.  Likewise, the bacon laid out on the racks is like a smoke sponge and can be easily oversmoked.  One Apple puck, left to smoke for about 30-40 minutes is all you want.

When I cook the bacon, I use a rack-like device I purchase at Walmart in the microwave.  The bacon strips are draped over the arms and as the microwave cooks them, the fat drips down into a tray beneath.  The resulting strips are perfectly crisp and not nearly as greasy as when cooked in a frying pan or in their own rendering.

Wildcat

Nice idea!   I think I may try that real soon. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

hillbillysmoker

Sounds really good.  Looking forward to trying it.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

Nonny,
Try curing the belly yourself.  It is pretty simple and quite rewarding to complete the full cycle from beginning (curing) to end (smoking, slicing, cooking and eating).  This  (with the exception of raising the pig and I don't need to go there). 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Gizmo, has good advice. Also provides a sense of real smoking - even though the purist is not likely to agree.   :D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)