Modifying the Bradley Digital Smoker

Started by Nonnymus, March 24, 2007, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonnymus

I'm one of those idiots who can't leave a good thing alone.  Over the months, I've been drilling and thumping on my perfectly good Bradley smoker and wanted to share some ideas with you that seem to work.

Added a Pitboss differential thermostat with controller for heating element:  This permits me to insert a probe into large pieces of meat that will reduce the hood temperature as the meat cooks.  Eventually, the hood temperature equals the meat temperature, then will "hold" that temperature indefinitely to let the meat relax. 

Installed a SPDT 30 amp switch to permit instant selection of Bradley controller OR Pitboss controller for heating element in smoker. 

Installed box/switch  to hold wall warts for digital transmitting thermometer and Pitboss controller.  With a flip of the switch, I can turn on my transmitter and also the Pitboss, rather than fiddle with plugs.

Installed aluminum "hood" over damper of Bradley:  This way, if there's a sprinkle while I'm smoking, there will be nothing drip down into the smoker.  I also installed an aluminum "roof" over the Pitboss controller, thermostat and the Bradley digital controls for the same reason.  It does not make them rainproof, but gives a bit of leeway if there's a sprinkle while smoking food.  All controls, wall warts etc. are inside boxes as well, for more weather resistance.  The digital remote thermostat is independent of any Pitboss probes, and is an independent reporting and safety check on how the cooking is progressing.

Nonny

Mr Walleye

You've been busy Nonny!

Nice Job! You should shoot a couple pictures of your setup to share with everybody and post them in this thread. I have done a fair bit to my DBS as well. Here is a post with photos of some of the mods I've done. Since these photos where taken I've added a few shelves to the left of the DBS to keep boxes of pucks on. I have also added a PID (the second link).

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4666.0

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4735.0

I'm like you.... Just gotta play with things!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

cingnut

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 24, 2007, 12:46:39 PM

Nice Job! You should shoot a couple pictures of your setup to share with everybody and post them in this thread. I have done a fair bit to my DBS as well. ...

I have also added a PID

Mike

So when you smoke do you just let the PID do the work or do you actually use the DBS functionality in some way?  I have been considring the DBS with PID option just so I can have the 6 rack volume only available with the Digital and hated the idea of the extra coin for the not so accurate Digital option.

Mr Walleye

Cingnut

The PID only controls the heater in the tower. The DBS control still runs the smoke generator and displays the tower temp as well. The control basically works as though you didn't turn the tower heater on. I'm very happy with mine.

Mike

West Coast Kansan

Mike, have we seen your set up with the PID location etc? may have missed it.

Cingnut, if the extra coin factors in at all I would suggest an OBS. The digital will allow you to continue to use the BDS temp display, timer for smoke generator etc. but if you add a high end controller you can work around those. I personally like the DBS cuz of the little multi colored flame. Pretty at night and when they blur together it is a good indicator it is time for bed.  ;D  ::)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Mr Walleye

Hi WCK

I haven't taken a picture with everything in it's home yet. My boat is in the way in the garage so I can't get a decent photo. I will be rollin' the boat out soon  8) and will post a new photo. I have Canadian Bacon in right now. and is almost done. I'm not sure I will be able to wait 2 days to try it though!  ::)

Mike

West Coast Kansan

:D :D Be strong - Your a better man than I - did two loins 2-3 weeks ago. Made it to the afternoon of the next day on one loin.  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)