Brined Chicken Tip

Started by Habanero Smoker, September 01, 2004, 01:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I live close to Hyde Park, NY where the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) is located. Recently I had the opportunity take a non-credited class on "Grilling and Smoke Roasting". When the topic got around to brining chickens, and availability of refridgerator space; Chef Brigg's reply was to buy kosher chickens, they have been already brined. You not only save space, but time also. It was also at this class that I was first introduced to the BS. He had two of them going, and he spent a good deal of time stating how great they were. After tasting the foods that we prepared, I had to agree. Now I am trying to bite the bullet and enroll in a two day course; six hours per day; "Flavor Dynamics". The first day is techniques in flavor development, and day two is advanced flavor development techniques such as curing, brining, and smoking, as well as marinades and dry rubs. If I do take this course, I will share what techniques I learn that this forum may be interested in.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

They had two? Did one look older? We just sold them one a few weeks ago.[8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

Wow! The world is definately getting smaller. I took the class on 8/21/04. Though the kitchen was huge, there were 19 of us (16 students, 1 chef, and 2 assistances), so it was difficult to see inside when he opened them up. Both of them were the original models, the one that was on the floor looked newer than the other, but I could not state if it was the one you sent them. I believe Chef Briggs stated they have them in all their kitchens, and they have many kitchens in their restuarants, and training centers on their campus. Right after this class, I did about 12 hours of research on the web, and ended up purchasing one from you. In addition to the Bradleys, he had a Weber kettle grill going also, all indoors. The fire alarms only went off once, when both Bradleys and the Weber were opened a the same time.[:)]

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Bassman

HS,
I went to CIA's web site and found the coarse you are taking. I considered taking it also but I have a wedding on the 2nd day of the coarse. I would be intrested in any thing you have to share. I just bought fresh spices and am intrested in how to use them.
have fun at the school![:)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Oldman

I don't like you guys at all....[:(] The closes anything school is on the other side of the state... Cheaters... LOL~~!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoW-Oldman</i>
<br />I don't like you guys at all....[:(] The closes anything school is on the other side of the state... Cheaters... LOL~~!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">By the looks of things in Florida, you might want to take a vacation up here for the next two weeks, then you can attend these classes[:D]

Jack; I see you are from PA. When I took the "Grilling & Smoke Roasting Course", there was a father and daughter there. The father traveled from Indiana, and the daughter traveled from Washington, DC to attend. That makes me feel fortunate that I live such a short distance away from CIA.

I did sign up, but as of today they have not sent me confirmation that they will hold the class. Sometimes they will cancel a class if there is not enough interest. Other times you have to put your name on a waiting list, to get into a course. If I don't get a confirmations in today's mail, I will give them a call. I'll keep you informed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoW-Oldman</i>
<br />I don't like you guys at all....[:(] The closes anything school is on the other side of the state... Cheaters... LOL~~!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dow,
While surfing the Q forums a while back I saw someone post about this school.  It may fit your needs since you are not close to a Culinary School.  I have not nor do I know anyone that has taken this class.  Just passing on info I heard about.  Happy Smokin'
http://www.bbqcookingschool.com/index.php

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bassman</i>
<br />HS,
..... I would be intrested in any thing you have to share. I just bought fresh spices and am intrested in how to use them.
have fun at the school![:)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Jack,
Well I completed both days of classes. I learned alot, and a lot I can apply to preparing meals, rubs and marinades, but it's hard to summarrize what I learned. Most of the class time was used in preparing dishes, the lecture part geared towards what foods go together, what spices and herbs go together, what foods go with what spices and herbs. He gave us some basic rub, marinade and brine recipes, we had to apply what we learned and add additional herbs, spices etc; to go with the dishes we were preparing.

He recommended this book, as he phrased it "the book contains flavor matches made in Heaven"; "Culinary Artistry: by Andrew Domenburg and Karen Page. Amazon.com has it for $21.00, but it is paperback and because it's below $25.00, it doesn't qualify for free shipping unless you purchase something else. I'm going to buy this book, but I am looking for the hardcover version. This book will give you information you need to make your own rubs, but goes beyound that. Here the link to Amazon.com  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471287857/qid=1095592116/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-0063939-0006348

For meat curing equipment and cures he recommended The SausageMaker http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp.

For spices and herbs he recommended Penzeys  http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html .

Speaking of spices and herbs; if you want to get the best out of your rubs, put what you are going to use in a pan. Place that on the stove over a low flame, and continually stir. As soon as you start to smell the aroma of the spices, remove it from the heat and apply to you meat. This releases more of the flavor and aroma of the spices. In his opinion you do NOT have to replenish your spices and herbs yearly. He states use them until they are gone, even if it takes five years. (Folks - don't shoot the messenger).

Due to Rosh Hashana several supermarkets had sales on kosher chickens and turkeys. So today I will be busy smoking a 12lb turkey, and two 4lbs chickens. For the turkey I made a wet rub. I took 4 cloves of garlic and made a paste of that with canola oil, then added a basic poultry rub that the Chef created. For one chicken I used just the basic rub. And for the other chicken and going to use the Chef's Award Winning Basic Rub, that can be used on all meats. For the smoke I am planning on using hickory. I wanted to use apple and hickory, but after checking I learned I am out of apple. Maybe I will switch and use alder.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Bassman

Habanero Smoker,
Thanks for the info, I will be ordering 2 of those books ASAP. I just signed up for a food saftey coarse. Here in PA it's a requirement to be certified if your intrested in going into the food business.They cover all kinds of stuff like cures,meat temps, brines,smoking, etc..It should be good.[:D]

Jack

Oldman

Jeff

Thanks for the link. I may just do it. If I do I will post. It looks like they offer more towards the BBQ group then pure smokers though.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!