1st impression ..... concerned

Started by Tramp, March 29, 2007, 06:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tramp on March 30, 2007, 10:56:38 AM
Yes NePa is close to me, i noticed the name and checked the profile. Havent looked around at much in the way of profiles seein as how there's a TON of info on this board. As for the "aroma" issue, i think i got it. I did up some chicken last night (thighs), and a small pork butt that i finished off in the oven due to low outside temps. ( I know i said 1st cook was this weekend, but who could wait)

The chicken got way too smokey, but the butt turned out perfectly. Guess it's all a learning curve, but then that was always the fun of BB-Q'n from the get go.  ;)

Great machine, and great forums. Thank you all for the welcome, and ideas. :)

How much smoke did you apply. With chicken I generally keep the smoke time to 2.5-3 hours. I usuually use maple or apple.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

coyote

I feel a smokers weekend in the works. 8)

Consiglieri

Chicken has a way of suckin in the smoke, kind of like a longshoreman on break (just kidding, of course). 

I've been told to use a mild/sweet wood (fruit or nut types), figure out how long you want to apply the smoke, and then cut the smoke by one quarter or one half.

The fun part about smoking is (a) the experimentation, and (b) great information those gurus here can provide.

Good luck with the Bradley experience.  I think you're going to enjoy the ride.
Consiglieri

Tramp

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 30, 2007, 02:07:37 PM
How much smoke did you apply. With chicken I generally keep the smoke time to 2.5-3 hours. I usuually use maple or apple.

I hvae to play around with wood flavors. till now i have only ever used hickory, but then, i've also only ever smoker pork and beef.......for my tastebuds hickory is fine for them. However, for the chicken, perhaps hickory was not a gretat choice. :-\

Now that i have my DBS, i will be experimenting more and more with flavors and the like. As for the time smoked, it was aprox 3 hours, since i had the butt in there at the same time, and the butt was on the lower shelf (closer to the smoke)...... It's all gonna be "trial and error" which i dont mind. :P
Wayne