I'm seasoning my new 6 rack digital smoker

Started by Junk Yard Dog, March 29, 2007, 01:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junk Yard Dog

Hi folks,

Due to my lurking on this forum, I bought my 6 rack Bradley smoker today.  It's seasoning right now.  I am a long time Texas brisket smoker on a pit BBQ.  I have decided that if I can do as well on the Bradley, life will be so much simpler.  Plus, I see the potential of smoking a lot more types of things than I imagined before.  I have already picked up some wonderful advice (such as FTC) that would have applied to my previous methods.  I know I will be asking questions, so please bear with me.

My old method was:  http://willsononline.com/bbq

Gary
Houston Texas
Gary in Texas

Mr Walleye

Welcome to the forum JYD!

Ask away! Everybody is very helpful around here.

Good Luck

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome here Junk Yard Dog, another 6 rack owner! i'm getting jealous i only have 4 racks  ;D ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Tiny Tim

Welcome to the forum.  Ask all the questions you want to, and if ya don't have questions, just fill us with BS.  :)

Junk Yard Dog

Quote from: LilSmoker on March 29, 2007, 02:09:00 PM
i'm getting jealous i only have 4 racks  ;D ;)

Thanks for the welcome !!!  LilSmoker.  I learned from my pit BBQ that no matter how big a smoker you've got, you alway want a bigger one. So I started out with the biggest.   ;D
Gary in Texas

MRH

Welcome JYD!  I just looked at your link to the web page looks very tasty ;D

Mark

Wildcat

Welcome JYD!  The BS saves a lot of work on Brisket.  You WILL NOT get a smoke ring, so do not be surprised.  Taste is there though.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Junk Yard Dog

Quote from: Wildcat on March 29, 2007, 04:10:47 PM
You WILL NOT get a smoke ring, so do not be surprised.  Taste is there though.

Hmmm. I don't mind not getting a smoke ring (if the flavor is there), but I don't understand the physics.  My meat is being bombarded by smoke, just like it is on the BBQ pit.  So, why wouldn't it get a smoke ring?

Gary in Texas

iceman

Quote from: Junk Yard Dog on March 29, 2007, 05:39:07 PM
Quote from: Wildcat on March 29, 2007, 04:10:47 PM
You WILL NOT get a smoke ring, so do not be surprised.  Taste is there though.

Hmmm. I don't mind not getting a smoke ring (if the flavor is there), but I don't understand the physics.  My meat is being bombarded by smoke, just like it is on the BBQ pit.  So, why wouldn't it get a smoke ring?

Check the posts that bluesin has. It explains it for the most part. Good stuff to know :) ;)

West Coast Kansan

JYDog, Welcome and enjoy.  Much easier.  ;D  But Bradleys are different  ;) in a better sort of way.  You will enjoy the other foods and the ability to cold smoke etc.   :)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

coyote

Welcome JYD , Good to have you in the smoking section. This is where we teach , learn and become friends 8).......................Coyote

Junk Yard Dog

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone !  I think I'd like this place even if I didn't own a Bradley. 

Today is a big day - my first smoking.  I am marinating some skirt steak and chicken tenders that I'm going to smoke to make fajitas.  I have no idea what settings to use, but I guess I'll smoke it for 2 hours, oven for 4 hours, at 200ยบ.  What do you think???  The skirt steak is real thin because I tenderized it with a mallet.  I got the marinate from Emeril's web site, and have been marinating it overnight.

1/4 c fresh lime juice
1/4c tequila
4 cloves garlic, smashed
2 T roughly chopped cilantro leaves
2 T vegetable oil
2 T Worchestershire sauce
1 t dried Mexican oregano
1 t red pepper flakes
1 t ground cumin
1 t ground corriander

Anything with tequila in it sounds good to me.  ;D
Gary in Texas

Wildcat

Not sure what a skirt steak is.  I assume it is beef.  You can smoke regular beef steaks that does not have much fat content, but it would need to be cold smoked and then finished off by other means to keep it from drying out and getting tough.  It turns out fairly well.  I have found that a very hot smoke works much better on beef steaks.  I have one of those side firbox units that burn coal and/or wood that I smoke my steaks on.  I have done a cold smoke in the BS, wrap it tight and then fridge overnight.  Next evening grill over charcoal.  IMHO I think the hot smoke method is better.  More smoke flavor and a real nice smoke ring to boot.  Beef Brisket, pork, chicken, etc. is better with the BS.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Junk Yard Dog

Good advice, Wildcat.  I think I will cold smoke it for a couple of hours, then grill it tonight.  Thanks.

BTW, skirt steak is beef, similar to a flank steak.  It was real cheap until fajitas caught on.
Gary in Texas

Consiglieri

Darn, Dawg, that link showed some good ole fashioned hard work and some tasty lookin' product.  Hope you enjoy the Bradley after you get over those initial reactions.  I think most had some initial trepidation, but trust me, this machine is not only forgiving, it's like a magic trick. 

After all those all night/early morning vigils starting fires, monitoring heat, adding fuel, with only a nap mixed in, you'll be amazed (and probably a little mad) at how good a meal the Bradley produces with only a hint of the effort fire-wise.

Welcome and good luck.
Consiglieri