I'm seasoning my new 6 rack digital smoker

Started by Junk Yard Dog, March 29, 2007, 01:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Welcome JYD,
How did the skirt come off?   :D
Did ya heat her up or take it slow? 
Is a puzzler since the skit is tough but without the thickness and fat to help tenderize, the low and slow for tender sake may not fit the bill.  Fajitas are usually flash grilled and bias sliced thing to make them "more tender to chew".   Looking forward to your results.

I checked out you link.  Nice job.  I use to have the same definition on grillin and BBQin as you posted.  Hopefully you won't mind but I'll share my definition with you.  Last year I changed my view of BBQ.  For me BBQ is more of a generic term relating to an event, process and methods.  Hence the reason folks will say lets go to the BBQ.  The meat can be prepared in many differnet fashions.  For methods, Direct (grilling), in direct (with and without smoke or on a plank of wood), smoke (hot or cold, fast or slow), rotiserie, and directly on coals (pit or like a flank steak directly on charcoal coals) are all methods for the party of BBQ. 

But what ever the definition, you can't beat the flavor of the smoke and the Bradley certainly makes it easier (we just don't like to admit it so we can look better)  ;D.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Junk Yard Dog

Quote from: Consiglieri on March 30, 2007, 10:14:14 PM
After all those all night/early morning vigils starting fires, monitoring heat, adding fuel, with only a nap mixed in, you'll be amazed (and probably a little mad) at how good a meal the Bradley produces with only a hint of the effort fire-wise.

Thanks Consiglieri.  I can tell you've been there, done that.  If I can turn out a decent brisket with the Bradley, I'll probably feel a little guilty at first.   :D
Gary in Texas

Junk Yard Dog

Quote from: Gizmo on March 31, 2007, 12:53:52 AM
How did the skirt come off?   :D
Did ya heat her up or take it slow? 

I checked out you link.  Nice job.  I use to have the same definition on grillin and BBQin as you posted.  Hopefully you won't mind but I'll share my definition with you.  Last year I changed my view of BBQ.  For me BBQ is more of a generic term relating to an event, process and methods.  Hence the reason folks will say lets go to the BBQ.  The meat can be prepared in many differnet fashions.  For methods, Direct (grilling), in direct (with and without smoke or on a plank of wood), smoke (hot or cold, fast or slow), rotiserie, and directly on coals (pit or like a flank steak directly on charcoal coals) are all methods for the party of BBQ. 

But what ever the definition, you can't beat the flavor of the smoke and the Bradley certainly makes it easier (we just don't like to admit it so we can look better)  ;D.

Gizmo,
I'm embarrassed to tell you, but I got scared and pitched the chicken part.  I was "cold" smoking the chicken and the beef, and noticed the temperature was up to 135ยบ.  I started thinking about salmanella poisoning, since I was not going to grill the meat for a few hours.  Anyway, to be safe, I pitched the chicken. I just got over food poisoning a couple of weeks ago, and I don't ever want to go through that again.   Last night, I was going to grill the skirt steak, but didn't have any charcoal (duh!).  So, I pan cooked it.  It was edible, but wasn't so special.  I chalk all this up to beginner dumbness.

I did smoke some almonds by using the recipe I found on this forum.  They are pretty good !!

I'm going to buy some baby back ribs today and try my luck with that.  I'm not discouraged at all.  I just need to learn how best to use this thing.  I can see that I'm going to get a lot of help from you guys, and I really appreciate it. 
Gary in Texas

Gizmo

If you cold smoke, remove the smoke gen from the oven box and use a cardboard box for the smoke gen connected to the oven via an aluminum dryer hose.  Works great.  You will need a longer sense cord (can get the from Radio Shack).  For the chicken, I would have just cranked up the heat to max and cooked smoked it.  The high temperatures would take care of any bugs.  I know what you mean about the food poisoning.  Been there once from contaminated water on the ship (Navy) and once from Fish Tacos from a restaurant.  Of the two, the water was the worst, especially standing in line for the facilities with a few hundred of my now closest friends.  :-[
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/