Maverick redi-check issues

Started by headgames, March 31, 2007, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headgames

just got a maverick redi-check smoker thermometer  since my digital temp went haywire once. I have a few issues and was wonder if any one else had problems .

My distance of reception as we say here in da nort country  SUCKS ..  supposed to operate to 100 feet .
I get consistace operation from 1-25 feet ... intermediate operation from 25-50 feet .. and nothing past there . which means with my smoker in the garage I have reception to the spare bedroom .....  but none at my recliner in the living room with the beer on the table ...........I am planing on calling them on monday . was just wondering if there were other issues .  I even swapped out their CHEAP heavy duty batteries which came with the unit  for  some rechargables NO CHANGE ...........  thanks  :-\
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

West Coast Kansan

Greetings headgames, you are on the right path calling them.  Good company. I have a 72 and a 73 and no distance issues on my units.  Gizmo has reported interference from various wireless devices at his home which may be something to look at...

There is a thread here on modifications people have made to increase range and will try to find it for you. 

In CA we live in Faraday cages with wire wrap and stucco siding but again no issues for me.  Sorry not much help.  I will look for the modification thread.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

headgames

thanks  WCK  after I call them on monday I may operate ..... lol ...  my kind of thing to do  .  later

Habanero Smoker

The problem with the true reception distance of the ET-73 has been a topic of this forum on a few threads. If there is no manufacturer's defect you may have to either modify it, or keep moving the receiver around until you get good reception. As mentioned on other threads; there are several obstacles that could be interfering with your radio signal. Thickness and the materials of the walls the signal needs to travel through, kitchen appliances or computer nearby the receiver can cause problems, 2.4GHz portable phones etc. If your neighbors have wireless equipment, that could also cause a problem. It would have been nice if Maverick gave us the option to change channels, but I'm sure that would up the price of the product.

There were places in my home that the receiver would not pick up a signal. I found that as long as it was in a location where I could hear the alarm from all areas of the house (or at least the area I spent most of my time), that worked out fine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

headgames

thanks  Hab ...... will play some more in  other areas  :)

MRH

I have a Taylor one that is supposed to get 100 feet too, it doesn't though.  I am like you headgames can't get it to work in the house from garage >:(  I was thinking of maybe getting one of those baby monitors and trying it, if I could find a cheap one.  I figure you could at least hear the alarm go off on the thermometer then.  I think they have video ones now too, but I bet they might be a bit expnesive.

Mark

LilSmoker

Yeah lot's of factors to be taken into account i think, it seems some Mavericks work better than others.

Very handy piece of kit to compliment the BS, i like the fact that you can monitor temps without opening the cabinet door.

Mine had very limited range, so after i'd plucked up the courage to mod it, i was very happy to see a huge improvement.
I can have my BS in the garage, and monitor from any room in the house since doing the mod, so i'm a happy chappy!  ;D

Even unmodded though, i couldn't be without mine  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

smokin stu

My ET-73 has lousy range as well.  Even going twenty feet is tough on it.  I usually sit my reciever on the window sill right next to the BS.  At least I can see the temps whil in my kitchen.  I had wanted to have it on my beadside table so I could check it in the night.

I have been eying the modifications as recomended on this site, but do not yet have the courage.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: MRH on April 01, 2007, 08:22:40 AM
I have a Taylor one that is supposed to get 100 feet too, it doesn't though.  I am like you headgames can't get it to work in the house from garage >:(  I was thinking of maybe getting one of those baby monitors and trying it, if I could find a cheap one.  I figure you could at least hear the alarm go off on the thermometer then.  I think they have video ones now too, but I bet they might be a bit expnesive.

Mark

Baby monitors work fine. A family member gave me hers, and I often use it to monitor my Raptor/Guru. Intercoms that use existing electrical wiring, should work also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gizmo

The on/off switch on the Maverick is very delicate as well.  Even after reading the warnings here and being carefull (apparently not careful enough) I appear to have broken the little black piece that sticks up.  I have to use a small jewlers screw driver to reach into the opening to slide the base of the swith to the on or off position.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

headgames,

I personally think all wireless devices tend to overstate their range. I have several, including the ET-73. Through the garage and walls, I rarely get more than 30 feet.

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

I am good to all corners of our house. But then this is a CA sized lot and it is a one level ranch type.   :)

I too thought I broke my on off switch but it is the black part that sticks out and I use something to slide it... works.  I also cut a slot in the back side of the other unit so it is easy to get to the other on off switch.   ;)

I put the smoker in front of a bay type window at the kitchen sink and the remote in the bedroom. No issues.  I have however tossed my wireless router =  junk no matter what... ;D

Tiny Tim

I thought I was having problems with mine getting even 20 feet, open line of sight, but I wasn't hooking up the box probe as I was using the oven and only needed the meat temp.  This weekend, I hooked up both probes and it worked fine.  Have not tried in the smoker yet, but I'm thinking I should be okay.

cingnut

I think "line of site" is the key phrase with these things.  Trying to transmit through walls and such is probably a bit much to ask for these low power unlicensed transmitters.