My First Smoke

Started by Griffy, April 07, 2007, 11:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffy

Hi,

I recently purchased a DBS and wanted to share my results. One of the main reasons I decided to purchase one was the amount of activity on this forum. This is GREAT! I definitely felt I was not alone in purchasing this machine. As a pretext, I did a few smokes on my Weber Summit Gold gas grill last year. It has a smoke box, and I had been carrying around these old apple chips my father in law had since 1960, so I decided to burn them up.  I did a bone in pork shoulder twice, and each time it turned out OK, but it smelled better than it tasted. The problem with the grill was I had to keep opening the hood to add wood chips to it, and of course the temp would drop off. 

So, I decide to buy a DBS based on reading the reviews and looking at the website. I set the thing up inside of 10 minutes and seasoned it.  The next day, I decided to try a brisket on it. This is something I definitely knew I could not do on the grill/smoker.  I soaked the brisket in some Wild Turkey and TenderQuick overnight.  In the morning I washed it off and coated it liberally with Penzey's Northwoods fire.  I started around 10:00 AM with the intention of smoking all day. Some of my observations were:

• The smoke didn't smell as good as my grill smoking did
  • The amount of smoke it produced was amazing
  • Trying to smoke without a remote meat thermometer is pointless

Bad Weather blew in around 4:30 and I had to pull the brisket out of the DBS in order to get my vehicles in the garage. I FTC'd the brisket for about 2 hours, and I couldn't wait anymore to try it.  During the time I was waiting for the meat to rest, I washed the inside of the DBS with hot water. (Now realizing I shouldn't have).  As I was doing that, I thought man -- this is NASTY. The water was so pungent and dark. I was unsure if the brisket was going to be edible.

When we brought out the brisket and I sliced into it -- I was AMAZED. It was excellent. The bark was awesome and the meat itself was incredible!
My wife says the best brisket she ever had (bear in mind we live in MN, so its not real BBQ country).  We ate it twice that week and put leftovers into tater-tot hot dish (more likely to be found on the table in MN than BBQ) and the flavor of the hot dish took on this incredible smokey flavor as well.

Attached are some pictures (notice the smoke ring). Sadly the weather has turned cold here again and we can't wait for it to get warm so we can try a pork butt.

I wanted to say, I really dig the recipes here. We plant a really big garden and have lots of hot peppers. I can't wait to smoke them!

Cheers~

http://homepage.mac.com/griffitm/PhotoAlbum2.html
Chrome, Smoke and BBQ Inspired.

Griffy

BTW, How do you post pictures on this forum?

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome Griffy, glad you're enjoying your DBS  ;)

As for the pics, when doing a post click the picture icon (bottom row second in from left) and you will see this:

[ img ][ /img ] but without the spaces, or you can just type [ img ][ /img ] again without the spaces, then just paste the URL (address) of your pic between the 2 middle brackets, and that's it done.

Then your pic should appear, i did this one for you:

If you right click on the pic and select properties, you will see the address, for forum pics you want the size about 600 x 400, but no bigger than 800 x 600 

Anyway hope this helps, btw the brisket looks lovely! ;)

LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum Griffy.  Yeah, the smoke does not smell the same as burning wood, but the flavor really comes through.  I do not know how you managed the smoke ring.  I'm glad it turned out good.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Yeah the smoke ring,  it's not a true smoke ring, the BS cannot produce a smoke ring, it was the TenderQuick producing a fake one  ;)

As long as the brisket was good, that's the main thing  ;)

Griffy

LilSmoker, Thanks for the info regarding posting images...

I did read from a prior post that it wasn't possible to produce the smoke ring without using some sort of product like TenderQuick. I guess the question is, how this smoke ring different from one produced in a real BBQ pit?

Griffy

Another question....

If I had continued to smoke the brisket, say for another 6-7 hours, would it continue to get more tender?  There was basically no fat on the meat. How long is overcooked in a smoker?

Cheers!

West Coast Kansan

Griffy, welcome and nice pictures.  A thermometer that gives you continous internal temperature as you say is a necessary tool. Maverick ET73 is favored by many here.  Provides tower and internal meat temperatue. Inaddition, gives you a remote unit that displays both.

Brisket is real forgiving and difficult to over cook.  There are several postings here for brisket.  Many including Gizmo, most recently posted a method of boating brisket that I can tell you by a sample he shared with me is great. Oldman as I recall boats as well.

I have been more traditional and cook my brisket to an internal temperature of 190 + and the most published range is 185 to 200.  One member gets good results at 200+ with an extended FTC.

FTC and brisket are good friends.  FTC can be done for several hours and 2 is probably the minimum.  It takes a long time for the non lean tissue to break down so when you do your butt patience is in order. 

Low and slow is the name of the game with the bradley. Welcome keep posting your experiences - everybody gains. ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Griffy on April 07, 2007, 03:14:01 PM
LilSmoker, Thanks for the info regarding posting images...

I did read from a prior post that it wasn't possible to produce the smoke ring without using some sort of product like TenderQuick. I guess the question is, how this smoke ring different from one produced in a real BBQ pit?

I'll give it a layman's shot of explaining the difference. In a way the two are similar. Both depend on the chemical nitric oxide to react with the myoglobin in meat to form the pink pigment, but they do this in different ways.

Smoke ring (pink ring) is not created by smoke or smoke penetration, and is not an indication of flavor. It is a chemical reaction that does indicate that the meat was cooked "low and slow" over an organic fuel.

You can only get a "smoke ring" by cooking over organic fuel such as wood, charcoal and/or gas at a low temperature. Burning of these types of fuel produces trace amounts of the gas nitrogen dioxide. Although you are cooking "low and slow", the temperature of the organic fuel is hot enough to produce this gas. The bisquettes in the Bradley do not get hot enough to produce this gas. When this gas comes in contact with the meat surface it dissolves to form nitrous acid and penetrates into the meat. Then it converts to nitric oxide, which reacts with the myoglobin to form a "pink ring". This can penetrate to a depth of about 1/3"-3/8" (8-10 mm). The sources I have read state that this adds no flavor to the meat.

If you use a cure to produce a ring; during the curing process nitrate and/or nitrites from the curing salts reacts in the meat. One of the chemicals formed is nitric oxide; which produces that familiar red/pink color of cured meats. Unlike the "smoke ring" produced by organic fuels and is tasteless, the chemical reaction from nitrates and/or nitrites do impart a distinctive flavor, and if cured long enough will entirely penetrate the meat.

Someone posted a link to an article on "smoke rings". I could not locate it. Though I don't agree with everything stated in the article, it does give a good description of the process.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hillbillysmoker

Welcome Griffy,  I enjoyed the pics of your first effort.  Truly looks excellent.  Glad to have you aboard and please feel free to contribute often.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

Welcome Griffy,
I notice on your pics that there was a partially burnt puck on top of the smoker.  I would suspect that it was the next puck on the ramp after the last puck was burnt.  You can save the puck by using some bubba pucks (aluminum round stock in the same size and thickness as the wood pucks).  They work well and cost effective.  Check out Chez Bubba's website to order some.  http://www.chezbubba.com/
Chez is out on vacation until the 15th but he will be shipping on the 16th.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Griffy

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. Especially, Hab Smoker for the really excellent explanation of the smoke ring effect. How do you learn all this sh*t? I plan on picking up some bubba pucks -- they look like the ticket.

I have so many questions. I'm wondering -- I've read some posts where people say they do 5 lbs of ribs or whatever at a time. I would suspect that you need to smoke longer if you flll up all the racks vs. a single item like a brisket?

Does anyone know of any instances of the BS being used in competetion BBQ? I bought mine because I wanted something that I could get consistant results from each time, but would most BBQ masters look down on such a machine because of its ease of use?

Cheers~

bullhead

Griffy
from one nord star smoker to another welcome.
don't be afraid to smoke in the cold, I've done several smokes below 0, did a pork shoulder that took 36hrs (low and slooooooooooow) the out side temp took a big drop through the nite. but the wait was well worth it. Passed samples out to family members last nite. (all here for my wifes 25th wedding anniversary) they realy injoyed it. 

Wildcat

Griffy,

I do not know if the BS has been used in competition or not.  Might be kind of hard to arrange since there is not much competition out there imo, lol. ::)

There are a lot of experts in various fields on this forum and I believe some of them are formally trained chefs and competitors.  There is help on here for almost anything having to do with food and the equipment for preparing it.

The BS will make becoming an expert chef easy and fun, especially with some pointers from these folks.  Spend some time looking through the posts and be sure to visit http://www.susanminor.org/ for some great ideas.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Hi again Griffy, usually when i do pork ribs, which is just about every weekend" ;D i do 4-6 racks at a time depending on the size of the racks, btw my BS is a 4 rack. Total time in the BS is usually around 6 for me depending on the size of the ribs.

I once did 8 racks of ribs in on go, but i had to hang them on hooks, and try to position them so they didn't touch the cabinet side walls, but the smoke/cook time took a lot longer, so i like to stick to 4 racks of ribs, or maybe 6 if the're not too big.

As for competition bbq, i would think it depends on individual rules, but in a lot of cases electric smokers of any kind are not allowed, anyway no doubt somebody else will be able to give you more info on this.
I can tell you, that after some practice you will get constant great results with the BS, i also like the defined but subtle smoke taste that the BS produces, no bitter after taste etc.
As i said earlier, personaly i could never go back to my old charcoal smoker, too much hassle, even my gas grill doesn't get used like it did a while back, although i did cook a full English breakfast on it this morning :o ;D

Anyway you'll soon get to grips with the BS, and will be glad you bought it ;)

LilSmoker