Smoked Butt - Fried Generator

Started by PigOut, April 08, 2007, 04:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PigOut

Started to smoke an 8.5# butt last night and an hour after I fired up the DBS all hell broke lose !! The Bradley was beeping like crazy and no error message but all digits on the display were lit as an 888 888 888 888 and dimming like a major power draw. Luck would have it that I had a spare which I had repaired after the fuse melt down thing when I first got the DBS.This is 2 generators down so far since I bought it in Dec. (The puck advance is shaky on the one I repaired.)Ill take off the cover today and see whats up. Anybody have any probs like this ?

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

When Pigs fly around here,there's a trail of smoke comin from em !!

Mr Walleye

That's a new one on me PigOut. I did have the fuse issue but I haven't looked back since. It certainly sounds like a short of some sort. I would definitely open it up and have a look. Either way give Bradley a call on Monday. Hows your butt doing?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

PigOut

Mike,
I took a look at it and first bad sign is the fuse wont come out of the holder. We both have experienced that before . Looked inside and fuse wire is intact.I think I may have interupted a meltdown! Gonna take a closer look in a bit.

The butt is in 14hrs with an IT of 179.  Its gonna make it !

Mr Walleye

I guess on the positive side it's an easy fix. Good thing you had the extra SG sitting around. Out of curiosity, what temp is your box at? Last time I did butts it was a total time of 23 hours. It might just have been that particular piece of meat I guess but did it ever take a long time. I had my box temp at 210. The moral I guess is you can't rush good food! Low & Slooooowww!  ::)

Good luck with the butt

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Skip

Glad you have the know how to fix and repair your DBS.  Hope all turns out well for ya

nepas

PigOut

The box temp was at 200 all night ,but the ET-73 showed wide swings of 180-210 I,m tryin to run it at 210 now.
  Thanks nepa . Its good that I saved my butt !!(I've got practice at that !)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: PigOut on April 08, 2007, 08:22:19 AM
Its good that I saved my butt !!(I've got practice at that !)

:D  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: PigOut on April 08, 2007, 08:22:19 AM
The box temp was at 200 all night ,but the ET-73 showed wide swings of 180-210 I,m tryin to run it at 210 now.
  Thanks nepa . Its good that I saved my butt !!(I've got practice at that !)

Mine is still smokin. I wanted to do a night smoke but i sat my human butt on the couch and fell asleep ;D My wife covered my other butt and put it back in the frige :D So anyways i did it this morning, injected it with some JD & Apple cider. I dont boat too much but i decided to this time.

nepas

West Coast Kansan

Have had two of the fuse episodes on my DBS. I dont know what happened just before but as you say Skip the welded in fuse is not a good thing.  Are you using the origional 10 amp fuse?  I have put an 8 amp in and it holds fine. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)