Smoking Wings

Started by Habanero Smoker, September 03, 2004, 03:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Has anyone smoked chicken wings? Is it possible to fully smoke cook the wings, or should I just put them in the smoker for awhile to get the smoke flavor and finish them off in an oven? Or fully cook them, then put them in the smoker; for flavor? Any suggestions will be grately appreciated. My goal is to make smoked Buffalo Wings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

HS,

No Problem.  Four weeks ago did two FULL racks of legs (for the wife & Kids) and one with wings (for me).  Put the wings on the top shelf and the legs below.  Cooked at about 230 or so, put the meat probe on the second rack and waited for the temp.  Used 4 hours of smoke.  I am sorry I forgot the whole amount of cooking time.  My suggestions, crank the vent open all the way and turn up the heat for last hour to hour and a half for crispier skin.  Also I experimented by putting regular old Q sause on the wings at the begining of the cook, came out great, sause not burned and my wife wished I put it on all the meat.  Sorry about the shotgun message here but I got to leave here in a few, have a great weekend!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

Thanks. I'm going to try some on Sunday. I'll probably do about 5#, and now will try part of my batch with sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

I would definately smoke them before (or during) cooking, not after. Raw meat is willing to accept the smoke, but as it cooks, the same forces that "seal in the juices" prevent the smoke flavor from penetrating.

It's the law of diminishing returns. Throw this theory out the window if you like only a hint of smoke flavor.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Thevenin

Ok this weekend's project is Wings.  Raptor is supposed to ship on Friday so next week is brisket, but I've read a few recipies in S&S as well as the bradley cards and they seem to think 2 hours with hickory and about 225ish is the way to go.

So my plan is to do hot wing sauce on the wings, smoke for 2 hours and then eat them soon after.  I guess if I don't have enough temp I can toss them on the grill for 5 minutes.

I think I'll throw a Kilbasa I've got on the bottom rack just for fun.

Oh and as a note to Bubba, I'm starting to run though my sample pucks. I might need some more "Hint Hint" can I whine my way into a "Forum Discount"?

Thev

BigSmoker

I've cooked wings on the grill with the following recipe with great results.  To be quite honest using the Bradley would be easier.  The main thing is to catch the bit to let the wings sit in the fridge for at least an hour before cooking.  Only tip was like MW said open the vent all the way to get a crisper skin.
Wing recipe:  http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.