Bisquette Advance Problem

Started by Habanero Smoker, September 03, 2004, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

This morning I was using my BS for the third time. When I got it up to the desired temperature, I put the bisquettes in the feeder and pressed the advance button to advance the first bisquette to the heating element. I then went to place a 6# Boston Butt in the smoker, when I realized that the smoke generator was advancing one bisquette after another. I lost five bisquettes before I could react. I recalled reading about this problem on this board. Taking Kirks advice, I took the cover off the smoke generator, but everything was clean, and nothing was blocking the mechanism. After about 20 minutes of trying to figure out what was going on, I heard a click. The click was the advance button moving back into the off position. For some reason, the advance button occassionally sticks. Has anyone else had this problem; if so have you solved the problem and how did you solve it. The button is clean and the gasket around the button also appears to be clean.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

Hothead,

I would suggest that the friction on the button is keeping the unit cycling. My immediate suggestion would be spray a little bit of Pam on it & work it back & forth.

If that doesn't do it, call Bradley & they'll send you a replacement, tootsweet, no charge.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

n/a

I have several smokers, and just purchased the bradley.  I works very well, but I dont notice the pink or purple smoke ring like with my other smokers.  Is this common because of the cleaner smoke, or am I not doing something right.

Thanks

Smalls

There is a thread on this site that explains the smoke ring phenomenon.  It seems that smoke rings are caused mostly by using a cure on your meat, not from the smoke itself.  I wish I remembered where it is located.  If I find it I'll let you know.

Habanero Smoker

I'm still having problems with the advance button sticking, but it is easily corrected. I have to watch if the button is sticking, and if it does, then their is still enough of the button sticking out that I can pull it out the rest of the way. It seems to only occurr if the ambient temperature falls below 60. I can't find any smoke residue on it, so I'm not quite sure what is causing the problem. I'm reluctant to use a vegetable base oil to lubricate. I used a vegetable base oil to lubricate something a few years ago, and learned that those type of oils gum up after awhile. I'll just maintain long finger nails on my right hand.[|)]

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SmokeRules

Hi HS.

You might want to try a graphite-based lubricant. These are designed specifically not to gum up. Comes in a spray can and should be available in your local hardware store. I use it on my home gym equipment -- it was the only thing recommended by the mfgr.

Habanero Smoker

Great idea! I already have some graphite. The kind I have is in a plastic squeeze tube. I use it in the winter to keep locks from freezing up. This is one lubricant that I can safely use, and not have to worry about any odors contaminating the taste of food.

Thanks

I
         don't
                   inhale.

nsxbill

Radio Shack used to sell a spray lubricant that is safe to use when cleaning electronics.  High pressure spray lubes and cleans contacts.  Don't know if graphite and electrical contacts are compatible.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.