Reconstitute my pigcicle?

Started by Griffy, April 19, 2007, 03:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffy

What's the best way to reheat frozen pulled pork?  (Let me head off the wisecracks...)
I the oven, Duh!  ;)
Not to forget ... with an adult beverage nearby.  ;D

But here's the deal.  My wife and I can't eat 9lbs of pulled pork at once. God knows, we tried.  So we froze what we didn't eat in 1lb portions for later.  On Wednesday, we pulled it out of the freezer and let it unthaw in the fridge.  It was pretty well unthawed at that point.  We put it in a covered baking dish with about 4 TBSP of water, and heated at 350F for about 10 minutes. 

What happened? The beautiful succulent pig was now a football.  What' the best way to make the most of the leftovers?

Knowing this crowd, I'm sure I'll get some clever replies...

Cheers!
Griffy
Chrome, Smoke and BBQ Inspired.

acords

I vacuum seal the left over pulled pork.  Drop it in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes, done
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

begolf25

I reheat mine the same way acords does. Vacuum seal then in the boiling water. Still nice and juicy when its hot.

Wildcat

I do the same.  Micowave works well also.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

I have done the microwave thing and the reheat in a covered dish in the oven and didn't have any problems.  Please describe what "Football" means.  Dry, rubbery, bad tasting, rock hard, etc.  I use more liquid in the reheat and will use apple juice, bbq sauce, or what ever flavor I am going for in the end result of the reheat.  The amount of liquid will depend on how much is being reheated.  I also shred up the pork before starting the reheat so it will heat more evenly.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Yeah same here, if there are ever any leftovers, i vacuum seal and freeze, reheat by boil in the bag, or microwave.
Sometimes i  add a small ammount off bbq sauce before i vacuum, anyway always comes out nice.

Btw, i always make sure any of the pork is completely cooled before i vacuum, if it's been in the fridge a little while that's even better

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Tiny Tim

On my last one, I vac sealed in portions that I was gonna eat, and knew it would be gone within a week so I only refrigerated it.  Reheated in Microwave and it was as good as when I sealed it.  Learned the fun way that ya want to cut a slit in the vac bag before nuking it.

iceman

Quote from: Tiny Tim on April 20, 2007, 06:55:20 AM
Learned the fun way that ya want to cut a slit in the vac bag before nuking it.
KABOOM!!! :D :D :D
Vac bags and boiling water for me most of the time. ;)

IKnowWood

Griffy

Once unthawed. We done three ways and depending on what your doing do what you like.  The boiling water method souind good but I never tried it.

Method a) If there is lots left and you are having a party, put in crock pot and mix with some applejuice and leave it there for the party or gathering.  This enables frequent visits and good warm pork.  Just keep an eye on it and add more juice as needed.

Method b) Just a small amount for a couple people (or solo) just place meat in small pot and add light juice and just stir and reheat.  Takes about 5 to 10 minutes.  Your just reheating it.  This is great if you plan on eating along or in samich.

Method c) [my fav]  Take some butter, your choice a couple tablespoons works good.  Melt in a skillet and frey the Pork till kinda crispy.  Then enjoy or mix with something else.  We do Mexi dishes with the fryed stuff.  Yum..

Either way its up to you. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

coyote

Tell ya what Griffy , Bring me over a few pounds and I'll run several test and then I'll get back to ya
with the results that worked the best...........................I'm waiting. ;) :D ;D ;D

Coyote

Griffy

Thanks for all the replies. Even the smart assed ones!  :D

I never thought of the crock-pot, but that's perfect.  Now if one of you techie wizzes can get right on building a teleporter, I can send you all some pulled pork from MN~

Cheers!
Griffy
Chrome, Smoke and BBQ Inspired.

coyote

Very  8)....I think Nepas can handle that. ;)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: coyote on April 20, 2007, 03:37:45 PM
Very  8)....I think Nepas can handle that. ;)

:D  :D

nepas →  vacuum seals his too

nepasĀ®

Arcs_n_Sparks

I'll pile on: I vacuum pack, then just throw in boiling water. Takes about one beer to come back to boil...   :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

I like IKW method C - once almost thawed add more butter and the hashbrowns and peppers.

Take two Lipitors, 1 or more crestor  ;D

Covered dish in Oven should be ok but 350 is real hot to thaw, I use the oven for my two pound bags and temp at 150 - dont need to cook it again. Low and slow so it does not get hot. Just thaw.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)