Can the butcher be right?

Started by Griffy, April 12, 2007, 04:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffy

Quote from: IKnowWood on April 13, 2007, 05:55:02 PM
dude.  Good job.  And Griffy  you will be there soon also.  This group helped me over a year ago to make some amazing things. 

Welcome SKS.  And don't be intimidated by these guys.  That comes later.  Griffy, SKS join us sometimes on Tuesday chat...

I'd love to if I can make it work for my schedule. Can you give me more details? What time? do you use IM of some sort or this forum?

Cheers!
Griffy
Chrome, Smoke and BBQ Inspired.

Griffy

SKS,

The flix were exceptionally helpful. I picked up my butt yesterday. It was 9lbs! When I picked up the butt I asked the butcher if it needed to be trimmed -- he said no. Let the fat drip down into it as it cooked. Based on your pictures I trimmed the fat cap down quite a bit.  I saved the fat off and will probably place some on the rack above my butt.

I followed your rub pretty closely. I added 1/2 cup of tenderquick and used smoked spanish paprika. I also mixed up a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of JD and Apple Juice and about 2 TSP of molassas and injected that into the butt.  Based on the way my grarage fridge smells today, I think I am ready to smoke.  I rush ordered a ET-73 -- I paid more in shipping than the product cost. I hope it gets here today. I'll be sure to post my results.

Cheers!

Griffy

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Griffy on April 14, 2007, 05:14:57 AM
dude.  Good job.  And Griffy  you will be there soon also.  This group helped me over a year ago to make some amazing things. 

Welcome SKS.  And don't be intimidated by these guys.  That comes later.  Griffy, SKS join us sometimes on Tuesday chat...

I'd love to if I can make it work for my schedule. Can you give me more details? What time? do you use IM of some sort or this forum?

Cheers!
Griffy

The chat is an actual chat room...you have to join (simple, no cost process) at the recipe site http://www.susanminor.org, once registered, you get an e-mail to activate account then all ya gotta do is log in and start chatting with anyone in the room.  Does this help?

owrstrich

7.62x39moker...

that is one fine pig arse...

i have never had any of those moles arses... im thinking you would need a few hundred moles arses for anything other than a snack...

dang that pif arse looks good...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Griffy

Quote from: Tiny Tim on April 14, 2007, 07:28:51 AM
Quote from: Griffy on April 14, 2007, 05:14:57 AM

Cheers!
Griffy

The chat is an actual chat room...you have to join (simple, no cost process) at the recipe site http://www.susanminor.org, once registered, you get an e-mail to activate account then all ya gotta do is log in and start chatting with anyone in the room.  Does this help?

Much. What time of day, or is it an all day thing?

Griff

Tiny Tim

Tuesday nights, but it's always open (just nobody to talk to unless somebody else is running by :D ).  I'm usually one of the first in on Tuesday nights and get there between 7:30 and 8:00 Central time.

SKSmoker

Quote from: Griffy on April 14, 2007, 05:22:25 AM
SKS,

When I picked up the butt I asked the butcher if it needed to be trimmed -- he said no. Let the fat drip down into it as it cooked. Based on your pictures I trimmed the fat cap down quite a bit.  I saved the fat off and will probably place some on the rack above my butt.

Hey Griffy! I hope that everything turned out great. I know when doing something for the first time, the more info and help you can get is always never enough :)

I am glad my pics helped you out. You know what they say about pictures and words :D Always trim that fat cap on the pork butt. Gotta get rid of that hard fat!

To the rest of you guys in the thread, thank you for the kind words. I only hope that my next project will stand up to the expectations!
Lead by example

Griffy

Results are in. The Butcher was WRONG! This was the most amazing pork I've ever had. See pictures and more information at my website:
http://web.mac.com/griffitm/iWeb/Site/Blog/A7F207FF-6D2C-4CC2-8DF0-D868C0B654FD.html
Thanks to everyone that helped me. I would not have had the courage to cook the meat as long as I did. I thought for sure that it would have been a brick when coming out of the smoker after 13 hours.  I couldn't have been more wrong.

Cheers!
Griffy

Mr Walleye

Excellent job on the butt & the write up/photos Griffy!

:P

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

LilSmoker

Very nicely done Griffy, looks great! ;)

Btw, did you season your BS, it's just it still looked very silver inside?, anyway even if you didn't, it's definately seasoned now! ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

SKSmoker

Great job Griffy. Thanks for the props on your site!
I am glad your family enjoyed it!
Lead by example

hillbillysmoker

very nice Griffy.  It is so rewarding to see a good smoking plan come together.  Enjoy and have fun.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Griffy

Quote from: LilSmoker on April 18, 2007, 11:54:31 AM
Btw, did you season your BS, it's just it still looked very silver inside?, anyway even if you didn't, it's definately seasoned now! ;)
LilSmoker

I did season it for about an hour as the manual said. Then I smoked a brisket in it, and washed it -- eek (Are the BBQ police coming?)

No more washing the cabinet, just the racks and pans.

Thanks for all the accolades; I couldn't have done it without all your help (everyone)

Cheers!
Griffy

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/