Advise for the week end

Started by BigRed, September 03, 2004, 08:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRed

Greetings fellow smokers!

I plan on doing a 15lb brisket untrimed and a 7lb pork butt for Monday.
My plan was to do them together with Maverick probes in each section of meat. I plan on smoking for 3-4 hrs. at 200 to 225 degrees and finishing off for approximately 8 hrs more for a total of 12 hr. or until the thermometer says other wise. Plan to use hickory

My quesiton is can I do both pieces together? Should one be over the other one on the racks? I plan on the Pork Butt on the bottom and the brisket on top. Going to pull the butt anyway. Do I need more time since I will have more meat in the BS or just depend on the probes?

Firts invite to my son's new house and we got to do all the cooking!!
I guess they never leave home!

BigRED

BigSmoker

BigRed,
Can you fit a 15lb brisket on one rack?  If not I would cut into two pieces.  If your cutting into two pieces, brisket flat will probally get done first.  Deckel and butt will probally get done about the same time.  Maybe I would put flat on top rack then butt then brisket then rotate butt and deckel half way through.  IMHO I would trim some of the brisket fat.  I normally just cook the flat because thats all I need but I would cut to 1/4" fat on top and remove fat between the two pieces of brisket.  I pull my pork off[:D] at 200f and my brisket at 185f.  I would also use fresh batteries in my probes.  I hope some of the more experienced folks also post some suggestions.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />BigRed,
I pull my pork off[:D]

I hope some of the more experienced folks also post some suggestions.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ya really think anybody is going to respond to that?[:D][:D]

Nothing to add to the recipe, you two seem to have a pretty good idea of what you're doing.

Hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor & have a nice weekend.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Big R,

Doing two butts at a time takes me about 12-13 hrs.  The brisket on the other  hand(I admit to limited experience here) would probably take another maybe? 4-6 hrs.  I would [:I]"pull your pork"[:I] when it reaches temp (185 or so) do the wrap-towl-cooler thing and place the probe in brisket and continue to smoke.  I acually put smoked two butcher cut briskets about the same size, do to there shape I was able to cram and adjust them to fit.  If you got to trim something, trim the dekle off, it's kind of funky meat anyway-still smoke it, just on another shelf.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...