Rib Eye Roast

Started by owrstrich, September 04, 2004, 05:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

micki and i are in the sf bay area for the next 4 weeks... i went to the rainbow market to score some meat for the bradley...

all they had was tube steak and bologna ring...

anyway... at safeway this weekend i can score some whole bone-in rib eye roasts for $3.99 per pound...

if i were to cop these roasts would i smoke them like prime rib...

what is the difference between the prime rib roast and the rib eye roast...

humm...

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

owrstrich

after looking at meat cuts on the internet and speaking to a butcher i scored 2 13lb bone-in rib roasts...

the butcher was very helpful... he said the beef come from canadian and was rated aaa which is the highest in canada and choice in the in the usa...

i told him i wanted to smoke them so he said he would make a slice between the meat and bones and tie the bones to the meat so the smoke flavor would make it into the meat on the bone side while still getting the added flovor of the bone...

anyway... i got a rub if garlic powder... onion powder... lowerys and black pepper... gonne smoke both of them at 220 to 120 internal and wrap and cooler for an hour and what we dont eat today and tomorrow will be sliced and freezed in zip locks for lunch the next couple weeks...

hopefully the choice will be as good as the prime... time will tell...

more later...

owrstrich

BigSmoker

owrstrich,
Sounds like a plan about cutting the bones and then tying them back on.  It should allow the rub to soak in well and like you said still have the bones for flavor.  120f on internal temp will be still very rare.  I like mine about 130f minimum.  After a rest it will still br medium rare and more like medium on the ends.  Enjoy and let us know how it turns out.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by owrstrich</i>
<br />what is the difference between the prime rib roast and the rib eye roast...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Nuttin' 'cept the price & size. Prime rib is generally the whole thing, 13-18 pounds of lovin'. Rib roasts are just the prime rib cut into more manageable sizes.

My only concern would be that with the ribeye roast, they've trimmed too much fat off & you need to keep it moist. But, bacon's still a lot cheaper pound for pound.

Take Micki up to the top of Mt. Tamalpie, the view is astounding! And if you want to get a little, treat her to dinner at Aliotto's on the pier.

Go IRL!

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

owrstrich

tamalpie... the view is astounding... i will look that up and check it out...

as for treating micki to dinner... the butcher man took care of us... whole ribs about 13 and 14 pounds with nice fat cap... he said he cut them the way he cuts them for his own smoker and they were awesome...

i had to use an extension 15' extension cord... temp got to 200deg on high... and it was 100deg outside...

owrstrich

i couldnt get the photos to show up other than the one above...

here is the link...

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=499543548103&photoid=299543548103&Ucollid=499543548103&Uphotoid=910814548103&refreshkey=1094438675958

2@ 13-14lb bone-in rib roast... each had 7 ribs...

200deg for 4.5hrs till 120deg internal...

foil and towels for 1hr and internal of 130deg...

cut a couple slabs for dinner...

after 3hrs in foil and towels the internal was still 130deg...

unwrapped... let cool... cut the ribs off to be finished off later...

cut 14 slabs and let cool some more and put 2@ in zip locks and froze for lunch next week...

used hickory the first 4hrs... then bubba pucks... then it was ready to come out...

very tender and juicy with good flavor... slight smoke flavor about 3/4" in... but no bark or smoke ring... middle rare and ends medium rare... micki digs the rare and i prefer medium rare so it worked out well...

more later...

owrstrich

Chez Bubba

It's really tough looking at those on an empty stomach![:p][:p]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?