Thinking about buying a Bradley Digital Smoker

Started by wicz, April 18, 2007, 08:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wicz

I was looking for info on the Bradley Digital Smoker 6 rack.  What are some of the PROS and CONS of this smoker?  Is the 4 rack better buy then the 6 rack?  I heard about temp swings, are they as bad as what I heard?  30 to 40 degs??? 

Also has Anyone heard anything about the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker?

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum wicz!  Do not know much about the digitals.  I have an oridinal in stainless.  From what I have read, I am glad I went with the original.  Do not know anything about the Masterbuilt.  I really do not think anything can beat the BS for personal use though.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome wicz, we have quite a few digital users here, and some 6 rack users also, so i'm sure they'll put you straight, the digitals do have temp swings, but i don't think this causes any major issues?

I have the original which i am very pleased with, i think whatever model you choose you'll be very happy with.

Anyway as i say the digital guys will give some advice i'm sure.

I'm not familiar with the Masterbuilt ???

.........LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Mr Walleye

Hi Wicz

First off welcome to the forum.

I have the 4 rack DBS. I have since added a PID and a circulation fan. As far as the temp swings go mine would, for an example if set at 200 degrees, It would swing 10 degrees or each direction roughly. This would occure over a period of time as the heat cut in and out. Really, I don't think the swing really effects your finished product on items like butts, ribs, chicken, etc. I had also done a fair bit of jerky prior to adding the PID and never had any problems. I can't comment on the 6 rack unit because I have no experience with it but I'm sure some of the others will comment soon. Any way you go, OBS, 4 rack DBS or 6 rack DBS, you won't go wrong.

Good Luck
Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Quote from: wicz on April 18, 2007, 08:34:32 AM
Also has Anyone heard anything about the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker?
Hey wicz, welcome.
The Masterbuilt $300.00 Sams Club Anchorage is a nice cabinet (sorry Bradley) but you still have to load it with the wood chips. Heat control is not to bad but you still have swings. Real small heating element but the insulated cabinet makes it workable. I took one and ripped the wood chip hopper out and stuck a Bradley generator in the opposite side and it made a decent smoker. Digital heat and time control although resetting the timer when doing briskets is a pain. All said and done I think your ahead with a Bradley both price wise and ease of use. (Unless your like me and just HAVE to rip things apart and waste time and money). :D :o ;D
Just my 3.5 cents leaking out again. :)

cingnut

I bought a 6 rack digital, I actually just started my first smoke today (2ea 7.5 pound butts).  So far it is going well, check back tomorrow and see if I still feel the same way!  LOL

I am hovering like a new mother over this thing right now, but have resisted all urges to peek!  1 hour in, only 15-20 more to go!

Wildcat

Take at least 1 peek at about the 4 hour mark and change the water.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

SKSmoker

Hey wicz. I have the DBS 6 rack. I am glad I bought it. I read up on the temperature swing before I bought my unit and was worried that it would really effect my cooking if I bought the unit. I am glad I didn't let that argument win or else I would have missed out on a great smoker!

Don't worry about the temperature swings. It all works out in the end. I did ribs for 6 hours, no problems, I did a butt for 19 hours <and the bradley even turned off for 4 hours in the middle of the night, due to me not resetting it correctly>, chicken, jerky, etc.

The smoker is really a nice unit. I love the fact that you can set it and "almost" forget it. Once you get a few uses out of it, you will feel really comfortable with it. I purchased the 6 rack because I wanted to make jerky and wanted the extra space for the 2 racks of jerky <4 if you get extra racks and invert them on top of each other>.

I have done 0 mods and pretty much intend to leave it that way for the forseeable future. I don't have any inclination on mucking with it, as it works just as I want it to/expected it to.
Lead by example

cingnut

Quote from: SKSmoker on April 19, 2007, 08:34:32 AM
Hey wicz. I have the DBS 6 rack. I am glad I bought it. I read up on the temperature swing before I bought my unit and was worried that it would really effect my cooking if I bought the unit. I am glad I didn't let that argument win or else I would have missed out on a great smoker!

Don't worry about the temperature swings. It all works out in the end. I did ribs for 6 hours, no problems, I did a butt for 19 hours <and the bradley even turned off for 4 hours in the middle of the night, due to me not resetting it correctly>, chicken, jerky, etc.

The smoker is really a nice unit. I love the fact that you can set it and "almost" forget it. Once you get a few uses out of it, you will feel really comfortable with it. I purchased the 6 rack because I wanted to make jerky and wanted the extra space for the 2 racks of jerky <4 if you get extra racks and invert them on top of each other>.

I have done 0 mods and pretty much intend to leave it that way for the forseeable future. I don't have any inclination on mucking with it, as it works just as I want it to/expected it to.

Aside from my Maverick, I don't really see the need for Mod's either...  The thermometer on the digital really is awful, I am reading a minimum of 25 degree difference between what the box says and my Mav. reads.

The swings...  Haven't noticed that yet, my temps seem to remain pretty consistent, the recovery isn't too terrible either as long as you use the smoke generator for the entire cook and not just the smoke.

My box is currently holding steady at around 208, my butts are up to about 179.  The first smoke is going well!

Oh yeah! question about the digital...  I see on the display that it has "MEAT" temp in the same local as the oven temp, it is just not lit, any idea how Bradley intends to use that?

Consiglieri

you won't be sorry, Do it.  temp fluctuations are not that severe and even with wind, rain or other (california) temp conditions, I have not had any temp related adverse result.  (did have one incident concerning over seasoning a turkey breast, but that wasn't the machine's fault ;)).

Welcome!
Consiglieri

wicz

OK.  Thank you everyone for all the info.  You have all been a great help.  I am picking up the 6 rack Bradley tonight at Cabela's tonight.  I will be seasoning it tomorrow and maybe doing a brisket too.  Any pointers on the Brisket?

Tiny Tim

Low and slow...don't rush it.  Keep some soft fat (as opposed to hard fat that don't melt) above it to lubricate it as it cooks.

And, as always...pictures help the rest of us. :D

Gizmo

Wicz,
You will be quite pleased with your choice.  I have the 6 Rack as well and have posted several comments on the temp swing and difference between the boxes' temp read out and what you will measure with a probe in the box around the meat.  All things that can be overcome with the time tested knowledge of the folks here and your own experiences.  I would still buy the 6 rack for the volume capacity.

Check out Old's recipe site and especially this link before getting started.  It is the best getting started tutorial on the Bradley.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Welcome Wicz

Everyone already coverd it  ;D
I like my original with the bbq guru/raptor. Just my  ¢2 worth

nepas®

hillbillysmoker

Welcome Wicz. Let us know how your smoke turns out. Most of all have fun.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes