I am going to buy my first smoker

Started by sagemt, April 21, 2007, 10:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagemt

I am going to buy my first smoker in a few weeks.  I have been reading posts on this forum and had a few questions.  First off, I was looking at a pellet bbq before I found this site.  Reading the posts, I have changed my mind and I am going to get a DB.  The DB is cheaper then the bbq and being able to come to this site and ask for advice was the changing point for me. 

The first question I have is what is a PID?
The second is I have read that cold smoking is easier with the ob.  Why is that  and do you have to do something with the smoker to cold smoke?  I live in MT and was talking to the guy selling the bradley smokers and he was saying that with the weather outside the db is a better choice for temp control.  I don't know if that is true or he was just trying to sell the more expensive smoker.  I am sure that I will have more ? later.  Thanks for any comments and I am hoping to be able to post my results soon!

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum!

Good choice on going with Bradley, regardless of which one.  They are all good.  I personally favor the original in stainless.  The Bradley already takes most of the work out of smoking so I do not want the electronic one.  A PID is simply a method of having a more perfect box temperature control, which is not really needed, but some folks like to play with electronic gadgets.  A more "set it and forget it" type of environment.  I personally like to retain a little responsibility on how the smoke is going and it gives me an excuse to not do anything else other than quinching my thirst while I'm cooking.  The original is also cheaper.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Dont know what happened to my long babbling response earlier but the bottom line is the DBS has greater temperature fluctuation than the OBS.  The fluctuations DO NOT get in the way of great smoked food.

The DBS is easier to set temperatures on than the OBS but the OBS is real easy to learn to dial in and set up with just a couple of tweaks of the slider. 

The PID control scheme is a sure way to make tower temps more accurate in either the DBS or the OBS. Members here can help you set one up when you are ready.  NOT necessary to start with... and you can buy the OBS and pocket the difference until your ready.

The DBS is a disappointment in terms of NOT being digital in control but has pretty lights and a cool flame to look at.  I have discovered cigars and adult beverages that multiply these lights. Cool, like the 60's.

The thing about Bradely that is a huge plus up is the ability to cold smoke.  The OBS is able to be used to cold smoke without modification. The DBS requires a longer cable to for the temperature sense line to seperate the Smoke Generator from the Tower far enough to cold smoke. The link below shows the P/Ns for the longer cord and Gizmos cold smoke set up on a 6R DBS. Same set up is used for OBS and DBS except you gotta make the cord for the DBS.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4313.0

I have a DBS.  If I had to do it again I dont know what I would buy EXCEPT it would be a Bradley.  The forum plus Bradley Customer Service is great.  They dont screw around with games - they really back the units.  But you wont know that until you need it.

Get it done and smoke something... let us know how it goes  ;D  ;D  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome here sagemt, WCK has covered everything, so you just have to decide, i think you'll be happy with whatever you choose as long as it's a Bradley ;)

Btw there's also a propane version available. ......LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

hillbillysmoker

Whatever you choose will make you happy.  Bradley makes an amazing product and the quality is evident.  Hope you continue to visit the forum.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

Do budget a therometer that measures Meat Internal Temps AND the tower temperature.  Maverick ET 73 is a popular model. Niether the DBS or OBS have Tower Temp Display that should be relied upon for accuracy.   ;)

The internal meat temp is necessary because there are many variables that effect time and consistency smoke to smoke is all about the meat IT.    ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

sagemt

Thanks for the advice and comments.  Not sure what way I am going to go, but I know it will be a Bradley.  This forum has made up my mind on that.  Not only can you get a recipe book for the bradley, but you can find tried and true smoking on this forum.  Also, things that did not work for some.

One other thing I would like to know, how about smoking a whole turkey?  I think I will get the 4 rack smoker.  What temp and what type of wood should I use?

Gizmo

I have yet to do a full turkey but here are some of the pointers I have read here and also here is a link to some of the threads here on smoking turkeys.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4116.0
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4343.0
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2403.0

You may want to brine the turkey first to acheive the most moist bird you'll ever have.
Make sure the skin of the turkey is dry before putting it in the smoker (allow to sit in the refrigerator to air dry).  Dry skin will absorb smoke better and wet skin can give a funny taste when smoked.
To finish the bird's skin you may want to use a high temperature to brown the skin.  Brining and smoking typically ruin the skin in terms of getting a nice crisp editable skin.  You can also finish the bird off in an oven after the smoking.
You should cook the turkey to a temperature of 160 deg as measure in the thigh area. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Just another tip. Do not brine a turkey that is self-basting or has already been injected with a flavoring solution. It has already been brined. If you are not going to finish it off in the oven, or gas grill; if you only going to bring it up to 160°F, make sure that you measure in the correct spot. I bring mine to 163°F-165°F. I've found that when you take the turkey out of the smoker, it will continue to cook, but the maximum increase of internal temperature I ever got was 5°; often it was less.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

snowbound

What is a PID?  I'm also looking to by my first smoker and have been bouncing back and forth from the DBS or the Orig BS.  I want to cold smoke salmon, amongst other things.  Also, is it better to get the 76 cu in model or the 106 cu in model?

John

Tramp

Quote from: snowbound on April 24, 2007, 09:38:49 AM
What is a PID?  I'm also looking to by my first smoker and have been bouncing back and forth from the DBS or the Orig BS.  I want to cold smoke salmon, amongst other things.  Also, is it better to get the 76 cu in model or the 106 cu in model?

John

A PID is an electronic controller used to monitor and control the temps in the smoker. I'm working on my first setup now, since i bought the DBS and temps in the digital smoker are a bit troublesome, especially if you're in cold weather or windy conditions. Look around these forums and you'll find pleanty of info on them, and some photos and wiring diagrams as well.
Wayne

cingnut

Quote from: Tramp on April 24, 2007, 10:55:25 AM
Quote from: snowbound on April 24, 2007, 09:38:49 AM

John

A PID is an electronic controller used to monitor and control the temps in the smoker. I'm working on my first setup now, since i bought the DBS and temps in the digital smoker are a bit troublesome, especially if you're in cold weather or windy conditions. Look around these forums and you'll find pleanty of info on them, and some photos and wiring diagrams as well.

I havent built one yet, but when I do I will be referring to this link (http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315) extensively...  I did a lot of lookng and this is by far the best i could find.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum snowbound!  Just my 2 cents - if you are going to set up a PID, why not go the cheaper route and get the original?  Unless you want the 6 rack for extra capicity.  Without modification with a PID, you may be better off with the original for cold smoking.  I do not know for sure since I do not have the digital.  I suspect you will be happy with either.  IMO the third best purchase you could make is a Maverick temp probe, second only to the BS and Iceman's sauce.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome snowbound, i agree with Wildcat, if you're gonna get a PID, might make more sense to get the original?
You can use the original and digitals for cold smoking, however with the digital you will need to buy the extended sensor lead to allow the generator and cabinet to be seperated.
The digital comes in 4 or 6 rack, the original only comes in 4 rack  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

snowbound

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info.  I'm going with the original, but I'm still confused about a PID.  I understand it's some sort of temperature control device, but can anyone explain what it is in more detail, what it does, how it does it...and the most important question, where do I get one?

Thx,

john