Whole hog

Started by Consiglieri, April 23, 2007, 12:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

Lil S, The small sized one looked to be right weight  ???  2.2 to 1  ??? Last I checked a 100 pounds was 155 USD? If so that is about right. I think a couple of internet places in USA were 149usd and other 155usd.  I used a local butcher shop (Mikes Meat) to source the pig for me. He charged a flat 100usd but I use him for odd things from time to time.   ;)

The cleaning did not win me points with the Mrs.  Little pigs are cute - or so i heard a lot... he was cute finishing on the grill !   :D  :D 

It is pricey, expecially compared to what you woud pay pound for pound on a dressed out 200 pound hog. It is neat for something special - in which case I would want to practice once  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Consiglieri

Really liked how you pulled this off, WCK.  And thanks for sharing the lessons, and humor.  How did porky taste?

The wife comments had me laughing very hard.  When I did my pig it was a big one, straight from a farm out here in Central Cal.  Farmer dressed and shaved the critter, but still had to perform some surgery in the back yard to remove a few organs.  And since we don't have a walk in fridge or freezer, piggy got to spend the night wrapped in plastic in our bathtub, covered in ice.  Yeah, scored a whole bunch of points with the misses, especially when I had to move the carcass through the house to the bathroom (completely opposite side of the house) after I had slathered, injected, rubbed and whatever else I could think of to season the pig.  Predictable trail through the house, with the expected encouragement from my beautiful bride. 

We were spit roasting the pig at my inlaws, about 1.5 miles away, so had to transport porky to the fire site early, early, early in the morning.  My cousin and I (who look a bit Italian, and looked like we had been "working" for a few hours), had to carry this 90 lb., plastic wrapped, dead person looking piece of meat out the front door and load it up into the back of the SUV.  Didn't have to answer any questions from the police, probably cuz the wife was cleaning the front yard about 6 hours later.  She laughed when I told her to expect  a few questions if the neighbors saw us getting ready to take porky for his second to last ride (the multi hour spit ride was probably less enjoyable, particularly when Porky figured out how he would be riding the bar).

This site is great!
Consiglieri

West Coast Kansan

Quote from: Consiglieri on April 30, 2007, 12:57:43 PM
How did porky taste?

Piggy was outstanding, great smoke flavor combined excellent with a light sweet pork flavor - He did get 6 hours of smoke - I was afraid it would be too much -

The wife comments had me laughing very hard.  When I did my pig it was a big one, straight from a farm out here in Central Cal.  Farmer dressed and shaved the critter, but still had to perform some surgery in the back yard to remove a few organs.  And since we don't have a walk in fridge or freezer, piggy got to spend the night wrapped in plastic in our bathtub, covered in ice.  Yeah, scored a whole bunch of points with the misses, especially when I had to move the carcass through the house to the bathroom (completely opposite side of the house) after I had slathered, injected, rubbed and whatever else I could think of to season the pig.  Predictable trail through the house, with the expected encouragement from my beautiful bride. 

:D  :D  :D  I can relate,  :D  :D  :D 

This site is great!

YES IT IS

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

MWS

Great job WCK....well documented. This was my first time viewing this topic (don't know how I missed it...)

My wife has been a vegetarian for 20 years now. She see's some of the great stuff that comes out of the Bradley and I can't help but notice her gazing interested at the meals the kids and I devour. She even had a small taste of applewood smoked turkey I made at Christmas. First taste of meat in 20 years....MAJOR deal for her.

She was starting to break.........she was questioning her reasons for being a vegetarian.......then these pictures......she saw these pictures.......I think the word she used was "savages".

Back to square one.  ;)
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Consiglieri

Those little plastic wrapped pieces in the store started out somewhere.  I guess it makes it a little more real when you can see a face, though.  Still, "savages" has a nice ring to it:  "Smokin Savages" take the field in their home opener...

Just about brewin' time, by the way.  Good luck closing the sale on your meat conversion.
Consiglieri

West Coast Kansan

;) That's funny!  ;D  ;D

Consiglieri

Was getting ready for the long weekend, then saw Giz' post in the smoking lion thread and it reminded me...  I have a nice piece of woodwork that needs to meet Mr. Rib.  I wish I would have remembered this handicraft when my personal hero had the little piggie in his house built of .... slow heat.  Hope you like the board.  I routed it, with 3" channels, for the 40th bday hog roast.  The spots are knots, not stains-- cleaned this bad boy up a lot.  I'll have to explain the demented humor to the son some day.  But hopefully, he'll get it without explanation.   Happy long weekend to you guys.

Consiglieri

West Coast Kansan

Gizmo

That looks real nice Consiglieri.  With a dark finish, it would match the notty alder cabinets in my kitchen.  :D

Now all you need is the cartoon porky pig head in the corner winking.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

If I could find a nice b/w silhouette, I'd burn it in.  And order up a pig. And send out the invites.   And make sure the cold ones were as cold as their supposed to be.  And I'd find a way to get you Cali BS owners together for a bit of fun, even if we're incapable of  letting someone else run the fire.   Baby first, next challenge later.
Consiglieri

standles

Ok I am WAY LATE to this thread but...

We use this method to competion cook whole hogs (not piggies lol )

http://www.utc.edu/Research/SimCenter/hawgs.html

Now that I have a BDS coming I am thinking about taking the smoke generator and redneck engineering a opening to insert it into for a couple of hours of smoke.

Steven

Gizmo

Bert and Ernie looked like they were ready for a tanning.  LOL
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

:D  :D  :D Thats great.

standles

Yeah it was always a blast.

Once the tourist/gawkers left for the eveining that is when the poker, beer, tall tale telling, and such took place.   Us "workers" made night shift sound absolutely horrible so we could keep the curious away.

Unfortunately, when I moved to FL and tried to do this again.....  Most folks thought a Hawg cooking was me and a buddy cokking the hawg for them to show up and eat the next day.   I quickly informed them this was a social event not us performing as caterers. ;D

Even had one like the hawg so much she asked us to cook for her church group.  Caveat she wanted us to cook it offsite and bring the pulled meat to her in Al pans.   She said the sight of the whole hawg and the meat pulling was to barbaric.

**sigh**

Steven

Consiglieri

Sorrry to hear about that experience, Standles, but what can I say except this: the tall tales, cold beers, hard work, hot fires, good food, (insert reference to clueless eater who knows nothing about all the former), and good friends who are there to help you make it happen are what this stuff is all about.  And good food and pix with Ernie and Bert, of course. 

I'm curious about how you responded to the "catering requests."

The "*sigh*" reminds me of Good Ole Charlie Brown.
Consiglieri