Fat "up" or "down"?

Started by TxSmoker, April 27, 2007, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxSmoker

Hello all- Doing my first butt and was wondering if the cap should be up or down? I did some searching but couldn't find the right answer. My logic tells me to put it up so it can melt through as it cooks.
I am also wondering about rubs vs. marinates.  What would be better for the butt? Thanks! Steve

Gizmo

TX,
Your 6 shooter is pointed right at the bulls eye.  Fat on top and let it roll through the meat to flavor and tenderize.

Rub or marinade would be a taste preference and a texture preference as a dry rub will give you a nice beautiful "bark" on the outside.  Marinades can get some deeper penetration of different flavors due to those technical terms like osmosis and such.

Do one of both and I am sure you'll be doing both again.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

TxSmoker

I went with a dry rub this time. I used Stubb's herb and mustard rub, it sounded good with things like onion, garlic, paparika, mustard, parmesan cheese, ect.  The cut of meat I got was labeled as a shoulder but had (Boston) after it, so I don't really know what I got, it was all they had this late at night and the butcher had gone home. It didn't really have a fat cap on it, just a small one on the side, but not at all like the pics of the ones on here. Oh well, I'm sure it will be good just the same. Thanks for the help! Steve

Gizmo

Good luck Steve.  Let us know how it goes and post some pictures of your accomplishments.

Consiglieri

I think the guys gave you some good advice, which is why I was tempted to move right into the gutter, targetting words like fat, butt, top and bottom.  Fill in Mad Lib for 24 year olds:

MY LOST FRIDAY

Tom and I always thought these stories were fake, until this happened to us.  We're two regular 24 year old guys living in ______________ (Name of State), who had a hard week.  We decided to cut out early on Friday, and had a few beers at ________________ (name of watering hole).  After a few trips to the ATM, and even a few more trips up to the bar, we struck up a conversation with ___________ (number) of __________ (adjective) girls who had a similar week.  One looked like an angel, her friend was pretty and funny, and the one that was talking to me had all the _____________ (porcine adjective) that you might imagine would attract a girl to someone in my condition.

[I'll let you guys figure out the rest of the story]

Back to _______________ (name of watering hole)
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

Steve;

You got the right cut that is generally referred to as Boston butt. It goes by several names. The butt is the upper part of the shoulder. It's the cut where the shoulder blade is at. The lower part of the shoulder is often referred to as the picnic shoulder and usually has the skin intact. I smoke with the fat up, but I do trim the fat to about 1/8", and make sure all hard fat is removed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TxSmoker

ok, great!!  I'm glad it was the right one! I was tired last night when I wrote my post and what it said in complete was: Pork Shoulder Blade Roast (Boston).  I really liked the smell of the stubs rub, you could smell the cheese in it, will let you know how it tastes. Has anyone ever tried it? Thanks for all the help guys! Loved the adult madlib too hehe. Steve

Consiglieri

Hope your project is going well.  Great smoking weather in Cal. today.
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TxSmoker on April 28, 2007, 06:36:42 AM
ok, great!!  I'm glad it was the right one! I was tired last night when I wrote my post and what it said in complete was: Pork Shoulder Blade Roast (Boston).  I really liked the smell of the stubs rub, you could smell the cheese in it, will let you know how it tastes. Has anyone ever tried it? Thanks for all the help guys! Loved the adult madlib too hehe. Steve

I've tried a few of his rubs, and sauces and never been disappointed. I read somewheres that Chef Paul Prudhomme now owns that company. The stores in my area do not carry the blend that you are using. I wished they did.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TxSmoker

Ok, I got a butt in the oven :o  Hopefully it will be done for lunch tomorrow.  Will post some pics tomorrow of the finished product and comment on the taste of the rub.
Hey Hab, if your interested I would gladly get a bottle or 2 or as many you wanted and send them to ya. Let me know.  Steve

coyote

Things are lookin' good Tx. Have a great lunch and don't forget to post some pics.
                                                                                                    Coyote

hillbillysmoker

Looks so good.  I will be back check out the pics.  Have fun.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

TxSmoker

Well...I guess the butt will be supper instead of lunch. >:( The Butt is only 4 lbs, so b4 I went to bed I moved it to the top rack because I was afraid it would overcook. Got up this morning, temp in the BS was about 210 and the temp of the butt was about 150. So I moved it back down to the bottom, sprayed w/apple juice and came here to sulk. I wanted to have it in FTCing this morning, but I guess the BS had other plans. Oh well, if I don't die from "mouth watering" I guess I will eventually get to eat this thing. ???

Gizmo

TX,
Do you have the original BS or the digital?  Not sure if your oven temperature is measure on a digital probe or if you are referring to the digital temp readout on the DBS?  If yo are using a DBS, the readout on the DBS can be different than what the meat higher in the box is experiencing.  At the beginning of a smoke the difference can be 20 degrees or more which would slow down the whole process.  None the less, your patience should be well rewarded.  To quench the thirst, have another one.   ::)

TxSmoker

I have the original. I do use a second thermometer that goes into the vent, so between the themo on the door and the one @ the top I have a pretty good idea of true temp. I then have a thermo in the meat to get that temp. If anyone wants to throw some cash my way, I have a maverick fund going  ::) 8)

****Good News****
I just checked, and the meat is sitting @ the 190 range! WOOOOOHOOO!! ;D  OK, now I FTC. 10 till noon here...so, perfect for a 5 oclock dinner! I only wish I could have had it for lunch!