jerky for the first time

Started by thepro8, April 30, 2007, 12:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepro8

So i'm about to smoke my first batch of Jerky in my 4-rack digital smoker. I have 4.5lbs of beef. Half with high mountain original, half with high mountain hickory. I bought their sampler pack to try out.

I seasoned the meat and they are in plastic bags in the frig. I'll probably smoke them tonight or tomorrow. Any issues with waiting more than 24 hours to smoke them?

Any tips for my first batch?

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum!  From what I have been told, there is no problem going over 24 hours.  I have yet to do jerky myself.  All I need is the meat, just have not gotten to it with all the other smoked stuff going on.  Let us know how it goes.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Hi ThePro8 and welcome to the forum.

I usually use about 170 degrees. I keep my vent between 1/2 and 3/4 open, more during the first 1 to 2 hours. I use 4 pucks (1 hour & 20 min.), usually hickory. Make sure you rotate your racks both top to bottom and front to back as your lower rack will dry/cook quicker. That's about it. It won't take you long to catch onto it. I could do jerky once a week.... It all just disappears!  ;D

Good Luck
Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

thepro8

you only smoke for 4 pucks? Isn't that kind of short?

West Coast Kansan

Welcome thepro8. Short smoke time seems odd doesnt it  ??? It is real, smoke times are short and flavor is great with the bradley.

When you think about chunk wood you smoke the full 20 hours or whatever.

Smoke with Bradley is cleaner - no fire, fewer chemicals, and no residual soots (no smoke ring with Bradley). 

Also temps are lower in Bradley Smoking - more effieciant smoke uptake in meats up to 130 degrees.  The rest of the low and slow is just the conditioning of the meat to super tender state.

Crazy I thought, It is real,  :D :D 

Mike gets great results on his jerky - some use lower temps for less cook and more dry approach, cant really argue with either result.  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Mr Walleye

That's all I use for smoke. Of course I continue at the same temp until it is done. I have used up to 2 hours of smoke but for my taste I prefer 1 hour & 20 min. Overall time is usually 5 to 8 hours for me. I usually do about 8 lbs at a time (invert 2nd set of racks) so that's why my batches make take a little longer. Usually I start taking out the dry pieces at around 5 hours and some remains as long as 7 or 8 hours. I usually let the smoke run it's course then try to rotate the racks and rotate them again every hour after that. I have since installed a circulation fan so I only usually need to do 1 rotation at about 2 hours.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

coyote

Good to have you with us Thepro8. The folks here have never steered me wrong.

Again Welcome ,

Coyote

MRH

I do mine like Mr Walleye does at 170 but I am kinda a smokehead and smoke longer ;D  I don't rotate the racks but pull out the done pieces and move some around to replace them.  I try to take them off before they feel like completed jerky, so they aren't too tough and a bit on the chewy side. (Just my preference) I can't really explain it just that after you do a batch or two you will get the feel for it.

Mark

Wildcat

Thanks MRH.  I was going to ask about doing it like you mentioned vice rotating.  When I finally get to it, I am going to rotate the first time and do your method the second time.  After that I am going to try NePas root beer style.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

fatandhappy

in all the jerky i have made.  the biggest facter in the finished result has been quality of meat i started with.

icerat4

The all important great meat factor.Cheap meat bad results :'(.Spend a few bucks more and your the king of the nieghbor hood. ;D ;D ;) just my 2 cents

Just another weekend with the smoker...

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum thepro8

Alot of jerky heads out here and great advice.

I do 4 pucks at 170* also but with my vent full open and the power vent running. Some like really dry jerky and some like moist. However you choose the Bradley wont let you down.

Good luck and enjoy

Crazy aint it  ;D

nepas

thepro8

Ok, just put the meat in the smoker. I can't wait for it to be done!