Buckboard Bacon, first time

Started by Smalls, September 08, 2004, 09:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smalls

I just put two 8lb butts in the fridge rubbed with BB cure from Hi-Mtn last night.  They were deboned but I could not figure out the directions provided by Hi-Mtn to trim the scrap left over from deboning.  I couldn't really see any scrap leftover that I would want to trim.  Anyway, I have them both in a large rubbermaid container curing.  Hi-Mtn recommeds 10 days minimum for curing.  I was wondering if anyone had advice on how long to cure two 8lb'ers for.  I was shooting for 15-16 days because those are my next days off of work.  Planning on using maple wood for 4 hrs and pulling meat off between 140-150 degrees.  Any advice?
Bill

Bassman

There is a huge thread on this forum about BBB. Check it out and I'm sure you'll find the answer to all your questions.[:D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Smalls

Thanks Jack,
 I've looked through this site many times and have heard passing mention of BBB but no anything in depth.  I'll look further now that I know.
Bill

MallardWacker

Smalls:

Just a couple notes about your specific questions.  First, the legnth of time that you have mentioned should be NO problem.  Just make sure you rinse the meat VERY well and let soak.  Also using maple will work GREAT, four hours of smoke is fine for butt, if you ever do loin I would use only 3 hours.  Three OR four is just fine.  I will list below a link about times, temps and prep.  If you follow this you really can't go wrong and it will turn out great.

http://bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=451

Let us know how things turn out.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Smalls

Thanks Mallard, I appreciate the advice.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mando

Just did 2 loins from Sams. Let em cure for 14 days, soaked in water for 2 hours, let sit on the counter for anothet hour and smoked them with apple wood purchased from Chez. It turned out incredible. I could not believe how good it was. Let us know how it comes out.

whitetailfan

My first BBB went in the fridge last Tues and I turned the butts over last night.  Really firming up well.  Lots of juice, but just ignoring it per the other posts.

Plan to smoke Sat or Sun, depends on when family shows up and if I can squeeze it in Sat.

Tooooooooooooooo excited about it[:D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

White, you'd be da man.  You will enjoy it.  But if your liking is smoked pork chops/tenderloins I bet I can get you to try the maple or Jalapeno and I bet you won't touch that BBB.  I guess it's to your own palllet.  I know you are in another country of sorts but I do like the cure from Butcher-Packer, not nearly as salty.  I wish I can some how help you out by ordering it for you then ship it to the northland.  Shoot, the stuff is so cheap, even for a miser-cheap-semi old fart like me.  I have to order  more here soon for the holidays.  I would be happy to help you out if I can.  Email direct.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

whitetailfan

Thanks Mallard,
The reason I got BBB is not because I like the flavour better, but rather that was the only bacon thread at the start when I joined the forum.  All your good posts about B-P Maple cure came after I'd already bought the stuff.  One thing I will be checking over on the BBB is its flavour and salt content, as a possible substitute to tenderquik for making my smoked pork chops.  If the flavour is better or I can imagine it as a chop, then I might switch for that operation, and the experiment would be a success if only for that.

I've got a couple of loins in the freezer right now, and we're all out of smoked chops - but I had to get the bacon project done first, put it off too long, plus if it tasted good, then I have the bellies from my half pig to do up yet also.

I'm going to be looking into Butcher Packer a bit more.  There used to be a Butcher & Packer in Edmonton but I don't know if they're still there, or if it was the same company or not.  Also I can ask my sporting goods guy to see if it is imported by the wholesale company here that imports the hi-mtn stuff.

If I get no where, I'll drop you an e-mail soon about shipping some up to me.  I hate over salted product, and you rave way too much about that stuff for it to be crap.[;)]

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

whitetailfan

Smoked the two bacon butts on Saturday.  Tried a tiny sample out of the smoker because I had the family in for my sons birthday and they would not wait.  After letting chill overnight, we sliced up the next morning and had some for breakfast.  It is wonderful stuff[:p]

There may be better flavours out there, but for a first try, you cant go wrong with this stuff to get you hooked.

Thank you to MallardWacker who provides the inspiration for bacon.  Your detailed posting pinning to the curing section is great and he is right, you cannot overdo the rinsing and soaking.

I didn't want to post this because I wanted to have the pics included, but haven't got them downloaded yet.  Will post ASAP.

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

whitetailfan

OK everyone, here's the pics from Project First Time Bacon

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

MallardWacker

White,

Great pics.  Man thats a "Hoop" of bacon.  How does the slicer work for you?  That is the only thing I am missing that would make my bacon making have a finished touch to it.  Can't wait till you try some lon and flavoring.  I'm back in the office today, I'l be working on that other thing today for you.  Have a great day...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

Whitetail,
Thats some good looking stuff[:p][:p].
After seeing your slicer I'm like Mallard gotta get one.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

whitetailfan

MW & BS,
The slicer was fantastic!  I am a very picky bacon eater.  Gotta be cooked just right.  Therefore the slicer was extremely useful in gauging(sp?) the thickness.  One of my least favorite things about home made (or rather slab bacon) is getting it cut too thick or thin.  The slicer eliminates this.  It worked really well and I recommend it if you can afford it - otherwise a knife really does work of course.

The slicer is actually my Mom's.  We call it the "once a year wedding gift".  She basically never uses it, but once in a blue moon my Dad and brother make her pull it out to cut up a bologna or cappicolli.  I conviced her to bring it up for me and now I will borrow it every time I make bacon in the future, it worked way too well to go back to a knife.

I'd love to have a stainless jobby, but I think the smallest one I could find on the net started at around $500CDN and right now we can't afford to buy the $300 table saw I want, so a meat slicer with limited use when I can borrow one is NOT in the cards.[:(]

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

Habanero Smoker

Whitetail;

That bacon does look good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)