My First Brisket

Started by SKSmoker, April 28, 2007, 10:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Mallard,
You know if you try to fly away from this coup, we'll get out the duck calls and call you back in.  So you just as well nest out for a while.   :D

As far as your variations in methods or temp, they work and that is what matters.  Really just shows how forgiving the BS and food marriage are. 

Back when I first joined the board I posted a link to some very interesting information on low and slow.  Here is an excerpt from a pork butt post that is pretty spot on to some of your methods (if I remember them correctly). 

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/17.html   (need to go about half way down to get to the following info)

Danny Gaulden--
"This applies to meats that need to be smoked long and slow--the tough cuts of meat. This does not apply to tender meats that can be cooked at higher temperatures for short, fast cookings, like pork loins, whole rib eyes, etc.
If you are following a recipe that calls for an internal temperature of say 180F or so, make sure the temperature in your smoker is a least 60 or 70F above that target temperature. For example, to get to a 180F internal temperature, I would cook in the 240 to 250F range. If you are cooking at a lower temperature, then make adjustments downward for the internal target temperature of the meat. You would take the meat off at a lower internal temperature, but it would cook longer. . . "

This seems to follow the competition log burners as well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

MW;

The difference in cooking time for cuts of meat that are similar in weight is generally due to the amount of marbling and connective tissue contained in the muscle. More marbling the cooking time should be less, the more connective tissue the cooking times should be greater. Some argue that the brisket from the left side is more tender because it has more marbling, and the right side is tougher, because it contains more connective tissue. I'm not sure if that is true or not

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html#prepping

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

GIZ and HAB,

That there are two great points, and goes to the point of little higher temps and times. 

I have always wondered WHY the comp guys get away with higher temps and make these beautiful pieces of meat.

To me that's what I chunk my longer times up to was the fact that this cow I was cooking just had different fat vs. muscle issues.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

MallardWacker

Hab,

I finally had time to sit down and read that article you have listed from Condom Cooker land.  Really that has to be the best, simple read for the beginner going down Brisket Road for the first time.  He does run some high temps, I don't know if I would even try some listed but it is very interesting to see what pros like that say.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

I hate to say this, but I go to that site often. It is full of information and techniques, and they use highly rated references. I'm kind of disappointed that they moved their videos to YouTube. When they were on the site, you were able to download them and easily play them back. Now when you need to review a video, you have to go to YouTube to watch it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

fatandhappy

GREAT ADVISE MALLARDWACKER!!

boxertrio

I also smoke my briskets at 230ish, but I do it fat side down and foil at 165 internal till she reaches 190.  Prefect results every time.  There are a lot of means to the same end  ;D

Chop that point into 1" squares, smother them in some Attitude sauce and throw'em back in for 3 or 4 hours and enjoy  :P
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC