Smoking/Frying a Turkey!

Started by BigRed, September 09, 2004, 03:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRed

Fellow Smokers!

I know this Polish person did not come up with this idea BUT has anyone cold smoked a TURKEY and then deep fried it in peanut oil?
I want to do this for THANKSGIVING. I will also smoke ducks, have a Honey baked ham and the Mrs. likes old fashion turkey in the oven with stuffing. We can feed anywhere from 4 to 44 friends. We are planning on 16 folks. The Mrs. all ways gives out doggy bags!

BigRED

Chez Bubba

And what time should I show up in order to not be considered unfashionably late?[:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

I deep fried a turkey last year...pre-Bradley Smoker.  I am sure it would enhance the flavor.  If you have not deep fried turkey before make sure you don't do one larger than about 11-12 lbs.   Amazing how much oil they displace...and you don't want that surprise when the oil is hot!

Great taste...no leftovers for our group of six.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Amazing how much oil they displace...and you don't want that surprise when the oil is hot!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Best tip I've ever read is to fill your pot with water, then lower the frozen or cold turkey in & remove enough water to the (1/2 full, 3/4 full, "x" inches from the top....I don't remember) and put a mark inside the pot. That way come frying day, no surprises. Just fill the oil up to the mark & no boil-overs.

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Amazing how much oil they displace...and you don't want that surprise when the oil is hot!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Best tip I've ever read is to fill your pot with water, then lower the frozen or cold turkey in & remove enough water to the (1/2 full, 3/4 full, "x" inches from the top....I don't remember) and put a mark inside the pot. That way come frying day, no surprises. Just fill the oil up to the mark & no boil-overs.

Kirk
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Kirk!

You are absolutely correct in Turkey frying. I learn from experience and the hard way. My first fried Turkey experience had a garage floor full of peanut oil and a scare with fire! After 6 fried Turkeys, this is the reason for purchasing the electric Turkey fryer, no open fire. I will try the smoke/fried Turkey before the big holiday to iron out any issues and I am sure there will be issues. Just got the second temp. control today from BS corporate and hope my on going issue will finally go away!

BigRED

MallardWacker

BigR,

Oh' turkey man.  SInce you have done 6, please tell me youre temps you use for oil and the breast.  My first fried bird was a mess.  I have tasted TOO many good ones to give up.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />BigR,

Oh' turkey man.  SInce you have done 6, please tell me youre temps you use for oil and the breast.  My first fried bird was a mess.  I have tasted TOO many good ones to give up.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Smokeon!

Here is what I have done for deep frying a turkey. Firts the bird should be no bigger than 12-14 lbs. Like Kirk said put the bird in the pot, fill with water, take the bird out and mark the level. I use nothing but peanut oil. The cooking temp. should be between 300 to 325 degrees. Bird should be room temp. ( I inject mine the night before) Bird stays in for 4 minutes a pound. Temp will drop when bird is submerged. Do it ever so slowly, you still will get a splatter. Keep the temp. between 300 and 325 and not above that. You should be OK. I have never done just a breast but the same temp and time thing should hold true. Hope that helped. I am sure other folks have additional information that will help us both.

Good Luck and let us know!

BigRED

Fuzzybear

BigRED:  I ditto Chez...you now have two more settings to worry about...what time is dinner? When is the "Pre taste dinner" (you know, just in case it's bad!) LOL!!

Dang that sounds good...I wish I could help you out with personal experiences however, I just hot smoked my buzzard!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Smalls

I'm not sure if this hint will help when frying a turkey or not.  I have always rubbed butter on the skin right before I season it and put the turkey in the oil.  Someone told me to do this once and it has always turned out great.  One would think that the butter would melt away and mix with the oil having little effect on the overall flavor.  I have never NOT done this so I have nothing to compare it to.

Habanero Smoker

I was at Sam's Club today, and they had an electric turkey fryer, which will take up to a 14 pound turkey. As posted in this forum, that's about the same as the gas ones. It came with a stand, but a picture on the box also showed it sitting on a kitchen counter top. The problem; it was $99.00. Also there were no accessaries, other then the basket. I am trying to determine if the extra $30.00 is worth the expense. It has a thermostat, so temperature control should not be a problem. Has anyone had any experience with this type of deep fryer, or are they new to the market?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigSmoker

HS,
I saw one in a Russell for men catalog.  Seemed like it was 140.00 but I think it had several accessories.  Went to their web site but didn't find the fryer so I ordered a catalog.  It looked very nice.
Considered one for turkey and other family type things[:)].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

BigRed

Quote<i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />I was at Sam's Club today, and they had an electric turkey fryer, which will take up to a 14 pound turkey. As posted in this forum, that's about the same as the gas ones. It came with a stand, but a picture on the box also showed it sitting on a kitchen counter top. The problem; it was $99.00. Also there were no accessaries, other then the basket. I am trying to determine if the extra $30.00 is worth the expense. It has a thermostat, so temperature control should not be a problem. Has anyone had any experience with this type of deep fryer, or are they new to the market?

Hab Smoker!

I purchased one of these from Sam's and that is what I intend to use this Thanksgiving. I have not used it yet and am going to try before T-Day. I think the extra $30.00 is worth it when it comes to the fire issue when oil goes over the top on to the propane burner. I have done probably 8 fired turkeys and even though I am very careful oil always goes over the top for what ever reason. I always do them in the garage on cardboard boxes cut in sections.

BigRED

Chez Bubba

What am I missing here guys? Is there something that prevents the electric one from overflowing? In my mind, it doesn't matter if the hot oil meets flame or a red-hot burner plate, it's still gonna go poof.

And if it's gonna happen, I'd rather it be in the garage as opposed to the kitchen.

Kirk

nsxbill

Ditto on that Chez!

These items are designed for use on cement or dirt outside.  Just too risky to do anywhere where there is a possibility of fire.  

If you are frying your turkey this year, here is an idea for the oil!

I got one of those things that does the blossom onions, and did a couple onions last year for appetizers.  What the heck the oil is hot and ready to use before the turkey goes in!

Bill

There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigRed

Quote<i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />What am I missing here guys? Is there something that prevents the electric one from overflowing? In my mind, it doesn't matter if the hot oil meets flame or a red-hot burner plate, it's still gonna go poof.

And if it's gonna happen, I'd rather it be in the garage as opposed to the kitchen.

Kirk

Kirk-

Now let me preface my statement with, "I have not used the electric Turkey fryer as of yet. The difference between the propane and the electric is the elctric heating element is inside the pot. You have the propane heat source exposed on the outside. Bubbling oil will not catch on fire with the electric fryer but it definitely will with a propane burner.

I once tried to de-bone a deer I was luck enough to bag in the house and almost got a divorce, I would not EVER press my luck trying to fry a turkey in the kitchen!!!

BigRED