Smoking/Frying a Turkey!

Started by BigRed, September 09, 2004, 03:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />What am I missing here guys? Is there something that prevents the electric one from overflowing? In my mind, it doesn't matter if the hot oil meets flame or a red-hot burner plate, it's still gonna go poof.

And if it's gonna happen, I'd rather it be in the garage as opposed to the kitchen.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Kirk;

With this fryer you submerge the heating coil in the oil, then turn it on. There was some wording on the box about it was designed to be less likely to overflow. If it did, there was nothing on the outside of the unit that would catch the oil on fire, but if you're indoors it would create one hell of a mess. I believe it was designed to be used in a garage or patio when frying turkeys that is why they include a stand, but if you are using it to steam clams, corn or other items, I believe they were trying to convey that it could be used conveniently in your kitchen.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

BigRed;

I guess we replied within minutes of each other. For the additional $30.00, I think I'm going back and pick one up for myself, and one for my brother. What really has me sold on this unit, is the thermostat, and the heating element within the unit. Knowing Sam's I better act quick, sometimes, once an item is sold out, you will never see it again at Sam's.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />BigRed;

I guess we replied within minutes of each other. For the additional $30.00, I think I'm going back and pick one up for myself, and one for my brother. What really has me sold on this unit, is the thermostat, and the heating element within the unit. Knowing Sam's I better act quick, sometimes, once an item is sold out, you will never see it again at Sam's.

H. Smoker!

How right you are about Sam's! I think they pride themselves in running out of product.Living in the Dallas area we have many Sam's to chose from and many a time the wife and I have gone to three or foru of them to find something that our local Sam's does not have or will not get again. I will post my results of the Smoke/fryed Turkey.  I may try to smoke/fry a chicken first just to see how it works. I will post this too!

BigRED

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />Kirk;

With this fryer you submerge the heating coil in the oil, then turn it on. There was some wording on the box about it was designed to be less likely to overflow. If it did, there was nothing on the outside of the unit that would catch the oil on fire, but if you're indoors it would create one hell of a mess.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Aaahhh, immersion heater, that never occurred to me.[B)] BUT, not having an external heat source ignite the oil does not preclude the possibility of the oil igniting an external substance because of its' heat capacity.

Basically, deep frying something that large can be very dangerous if you don't bother to learn the proper techniques or indulge in too many barley-pops before cooking.

I'll never do it inside and always have a fire extinguisher at hand. (Little shrimps in the Fry-Daddy excluded.)

Smoke/fry on,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

quote:

IF YOU WERE TO PUT A PLATE OF THE BIRD ON YOUR HEAD,
YOUR TONGUE WOULD SLAP A BRUISE ON YOUR FOREHEAD TRYING TO GET TO IT.

. . . I tried putting the bird on my forehead, but my tongue kept knocking it off before I could get a bruise . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by smokinrookie</i>
<br />on the top of your head<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by smokinrookie</i>
<br />dude,
try puttin the plate on your head
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />quote:

. . . I tried putting the bird on my forehead, but my tongue kept knocking it off before I could get a bruise . . .

John
Newton MA

remember.......all you can do is all you can do... then you are done!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You boys must be pretty popular with the ladies!![;)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by smokinrookie</i>
<br />on the top of your head<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by smokinrookie</i>
<br />dude,
try puttin the plate on your head
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />quote:

John
Newton MA

Damn it all!  I KNEW I must have been doing SOMETHING wrong . . . [;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

bellejnd

Here are a couple of good tricks when frying turkeys:

Gas burners are better...need plenty of BTU's to recover the oil temp after dunking the bird in.....your frying not boiling!

don't rub too much seasoning on the outside of the bird... it will fall off and coat the bottom of your cooking pot.  Too much seasoning falling to the bottom will insulate the bottom and burn in your oil.

Try injecting some liquid crab boil in the bird along with your other injection juices...all us good cajuns do!

CLAREGO

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CLAREGO</i>
<br />
check this website out !
http://www.bbq-porch.org/turkey10.asp//
Great website, Clarence!  A tad cumbersome to read and navigate, but maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning.  There's a ton of excellent recipes and ideas there!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigRed</i>
<br />Fellow Smokers!

I know this <b><font size="3"><font color="blue">Polish </font id="blue"></font id="size3"></b> person did not come up with this idea BUT has anyone cold smoked a TURKEY and then deep fried it in peanut oil?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">  You got to be kidding me, of course he did!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Brabus

Hey guys, this is an old thread, but I still thought I'd give some responses...

I've fried over a dozen turkeys now over the past couple of years and it's still something I very much enjoy!! Now i'm all occupied with the BS lately, but I will definitely always love my 30qt fryer :)

The fryer is a great too and you just need to be creative but careful with it. ALWAYS do it outside and I suggest on dirt to avoid fire potential. Turkeys, chicken, fish, tempura, calimari, fries, etc. are all fair game :)

enjoy!