Running up Post count... Vote Closes March 19 2010

Started by icerat4, May 02, 2007, 03:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Quote from: Bangkok Smoke on March 04, 2010, 02:01:33 AM
I have seen this ' ranking climber' mentality in a lot of forums... but as well stated, those who know , know.

My 9th grade English teacher had a axiom or 3, one was 'Speak less, Say more' .. short posts work also and most know when they are 'supportive' or for count.

Really a smal thing i the over all scheme of things anyway..

just my thoughts

gb
It seems to me that there will always be a select few who concern themselves with this post count and the rest of us couldn't give a crap. Till I joined this forum I knew nothing of post counts nor could I care a less. The post count means nothing to me as everyone on here is as valid a person as the next. This seems as though it was something that some pimple face geek came up with for some dungeons and dragon'esk forum to show his superiority via the amount of time he wastes on the internet when he should be out dating and socializing with real people so as to be more able to cope with real life situations. If the post count was to become an issue (and it for the most part doesn't) you could get rid of it because we are all equal in my eyes. And besides if there was someone on here that was inferior in intelligence they should not be discriminated against anyway. Therefore the post count ends up be a form of discriminatory device which we don't need on here because even an idiot can apply smoke to food with a Bradley and produce perfect food. But that is just my opinion which probably doesn't count cause my post count is alot lower than most guys and gals on here.
Q
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

I have read several different BBQ post and blogs that have reviewed the different types of smokers/grills out there in the world.

Two that I recently read talked about the Bradley Smoker (the pros and the cons) and both said one thing that makes the Bradley standout is the active forum.

One even had a link to the forum.

I know when I got my Bradley and needed help, I got it.

But I also appreciated someone saying "Nice Job" or "Looks Good" almost as much as the help I got.

It would be kinda sad to not be able to say "thanks" to someone that helped you because you were worried

you might piss someone off because you got "a point".

SnellySmokesEm

QuoteIt would be kinda sad to not be able to say "thanks" to someone that helped you because you were worried

you might piss someone off because you got "a point". 

CRG- great point, I like the way you think.  I never even thought that people pad their stats on the forum.  I mean I'm sure it goes on but really?  Is it hurting anyone?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 04, 2010, 06:41:26 PM

To be perfectly honest, this thread has generated/perpetrated more bad blood than any kind of positive influence.

Perhaps it should be shut down & removed to put an end to it.

My 2¢.

You are right.

Some of the early post were negative and bitter.

Let's go smoke some Butts.

Tiny Tim

I just went back and read the first few pages of this thread, since I knew I had contributed to the delinquency of it.  If you'll look at my posts on page 5.........I can't believe I said those things.  Yeah, I mean them, but I can't believe that I actually said them.

Tenpoint5

What I look at is the quality not the quantity of posts.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

What does the post count mean anyway? I would personally vote to have it removed.

All in favour of it's removal say "I"
I
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

3rensho

Hmmmm, I had considered all that bad stuff LONG since behind us and use the thread as a venue to post virtually anything.  Time to lighten up folks, IMHO.   
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

KyNola

Personally I think this line of conversation is irrelevent either way but if it offends some folks, why don't we just ask Brian to take the thread down?

Wildcat

Quote from: KyNola on March 05, 2010, 06:29:14 AM
Personally I think this line of conversation is irrelevent either way but if it offends some folks, why don't we just ask Brian to take the thread down?

I am all for taking it off. This thread was aimed at me long ago by a small group of "professional and/or expert" smokers who thought I was trying to appear like an expert by running up my post count when they believed that I was a nobody. This is the first and ONLY forum I have ever been on and except for this thread and another one or two threads, it has been a nice experience. This thread has always bothered me. If I recall correctly, this is my first post since the episode and it will be my last.

It is unfortunate that many on here have developed their own little clans and ignore folks outside their own little group. It is also unfortunate that many on here have forgotten that we have some lady members that may have been offended by some recent posts and simply bit their lips instead of complaining and running the risk of being shunned by some like I was when this thread started. I could be wrong, they may have a good sense of humor, but simply decided to not comment.

We are from all walks of life and most of us are experts in our own fields - mine happens to be law. We have at least a couple of chefs on here. I am no where near their level regarding food preparation, but I do a really good job at what I do prepare. Why is this not adequate for some? We have a few on here that are great with electronics and at least a couple that are great writers. We have people from all over the world, multiple ethnic groups and most religions. Why can't everyone simply be accepted as long as their intentions are good. I would rather see a jerk post than someone that is political on here with an ego problem.

As an addition - in case some think I am being over sensative, what makes it worse for me was the pm's that I received. It was much worse than this thread. This thread only added more insult to the pm's by putting it out to the general public.

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

MPTubbs

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 04, 2010, 06:46:00 PM

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 04, 2010, 06:41:26 PM

To be perfectly honest, this thread has generated/perpetrated more bad blood than any kind of positive influence.

Perhaps it should be shut down & removed to put an end to it.

My 2¢.

You are right.

Some of the early post were negative and bitter.

Let's go smoke some Butts.

I'm with CRG!

Smoke'n hot butts always brighten up my day!

"Can't we all just get along"
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Bradley (Head Office)

I am going to run a poll on whether or not to delete this topic

The poll results will be hidden until the poll closes on March 19
at which time the majority of votes will decide.

Brian.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Mr Walleye

WildCat

I remember talking with you when this was going on and also thought it might be me they were referring to but I never got any PM's regarding it. You're a valued member of a "Great" group of people here on the forum and I for one am happy you stuck around.

My thoughts (for what they're worth) are... delete the post, let bygones be bygones, and move on to bigger and better things... like smokin' a big ol' butt!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes