smoked chops

Started by june70, September 11, 2004, 10:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

june70

I am new at the BSforum and would like to find a process for smoked chops.  I would like some advice on a curing recipe and smoking cold vs. hot?  I have searched the forum and have not found any solid advice.  Please help[?][?]

nsxbill

Hello June,

I cold smoked my last loin chops for only an hour then finished up on the grill.  I liked them, but wife prefers no smoke on grilled chops.  I don't believe I have seen anyone cold smoking them as a stand alone process....but I have only been around the smoker for a couple of months.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jaeger

Welcome Lynn,
 If I was going to smoke porkloin or chops I would start out with a premixed cure, like a brown sugar type, and mix and cure according to directions included with the cure. By curing the product you will probably want to cook/smoke it until it is fully cooked. At this point you are ready to serve or fully cool the product and after that slice or saw into portions. Now you have a fully cooked product that is ready for reheating on your grill or back in the Bradley. There are some interesting experiences with cures on some of the past threads here. There is also a fairly recent picture of a very cool set up, detaching the smoke generator and using a dryer hose to achieve a cold smoke.
If you have any questions let us know.[:)][8D][:)]
Doug

MallardWacker

June,

Here is a thread that has some help for what you are looking for.
http://bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=160
I am sure <font color="blue">White</font id="blue"> will see this post and respond, it seems he has done a few.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />June,

Here is a thread that has some help for what you are looking for.
http://bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=160
I am sure <font color="blue">White</font id="blue"> will see this post and respond, it seems he has done a few.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good morning,
The food you seek is one of my all time favorites...the advice you seek is best found in the thread that Mallard linked.

Give or take, it is a compilation of every attempt that I have made at curing and smoking "smoked pork chops".  Makes for an interesting read if you want to follow the bouncing ball of my trials and errors, but don't bother taking any notes until you get to the end, as it's mostly errors or at least process that I have improved upon.

Biggest advice is to soak your loin before smoking, I cannot overstate the importance of this step,  it will make the difference between a tollerable salty meal and an excellent meal.

You will note that in that thread we recommend hot smoking until the internal temp hits 150deg.  You <font color="green">can</font id="green"> smoke it less than fully cooked if you are going to cook it on the grill, but it is my preference to cook right through so that when you re-warm on the grill you are not having to worry about <font color="red">"cooking"</font id="red"> it.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by june70</i>
<br />I am new at the BSforum and would like to find a process for smoked chops. I would like some advice on a curing recipe and smoking cold vs. hot? <font color="blue">I have searched the forum and have not found any solid advice</font id="blue">. Please help<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The thread that MallardWacker linked was at the bottom of page one in the curing topic, so I assumed that you would have found it.  If you are looking for more detailed or better advice, I'm afraid I'm not your guy[:(]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.