Danish Ribs & Sauce

Started by SmokeRules, September 13, 2004, 01:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeRules

This weekend, the local Tom Thumb had a special on Danish Ribs - 10 lbs for 10 bucks. Decided to give them a try. These ribs came frozen in a single box from Denmark.

Defrosted the ribs and rubbed them down while the BS was heating up. (I find overnight rubs to be too salty so I rub just before smoking now).

Smoked the whole 10 lbs using the 4 VS racks. Carefully positioned the slabs so they did not overlap. At 200 degrees, did 3 hours of Hickory and 3 hours more no smoke. Then, wrapped in foil & towel & into the cooler until the company showed up and we were ready to eat. Ribs stayed nice and hot -- even after 3 hours.

The slabs were a kind of triangle cut with some really long ribs on one end and small really small ones on the other. The big ones were just right but the small end was a little dry.

I think next time I will cut the cooking to 3 hours smoke and 2.5 hrs without smoke so that the little ribs will not dry out as much.

The barbecue sauce I make is a very popular one here in Dallas. Many of the local barbecue joints use a variation. If you want to give it a try, I suggest you make it once exactly to this recipe because even the smallest change will effect the taste.

Classic Dallas Barbecue Sauce

Serve this sauce with your barbecue, don't cook with it.

6 cups water
1 28 oz bottle ketchup
1.25 cups sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons garlic powder
.5 cup white vinegar
.5 cup Worcestshire Sauce
2 medium onions, chopped
.5 lemon

Mix ingredients together excepy for the onions and lemon and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 1 to 2 hours, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until it reaches the thickness you like. Sauce for ribs can be a little thinner than regular.

When the desired thickness is reached, add the chopped onions, the juice of the .5 lemon and then drop in the lemon rind. Let simmer for another 45 minutes.

Strain before use. Makes about a quart.

MallardWacker

SR,

Sounds good.  I have tried those same ribs, the ones I tried said they were "Danish Baby Backs", realy I don't think they are.  I think it's just a funny name for imported spare ribs.(maybe thats what they call them Denmark).  When you smoke/cook for that long, may I suggest to rotate your racks about half way through.  I have done this and It does make a difference.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokeRules</i>
<br />Defrosted the ribs and rubbed them down while the BS was heating up. (I find overnight rubs to be too salty so I rub just before smoking now).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Then there's too much salt in your rub![;)][:)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Smokin Joe

AMEN CHEZ!!!

Too many people are scared away from really good flavors because a lot of the spice makers out there believe that salt is the primary ingredient...

Don't get me wrong, many of them taste great, especially Montreal Steak Spices, but you don't have to kill them with salt.  I believe in only enough salt or sugar to make the osmosis happen, and let the spices do the real work in flavoring!

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

ChefJeff

[:D][:D]WHAT HE SAID![:p]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN