New Grinder vs New Stuffer

Started by sueblazer03, May 12, 2007, 12:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sueblazer03

I'm using a Rebber sausage stuffer. It's fairly simple to use but it's a bear to try to turn the crank to make snack sticks. It works fine with larger tubes. I'm grinding my meat  with a Kitchen Aid grinder attachment. My question is would it be better to upgrade the grinder and using it to stuff snack sticks or upgrading to a better stuffer? (The one I use doesn't have any gears just a straight screw with a six inch handle.) I do about 10 lb batches.
I'll probably make my purchase at Cabela's. I'm thinking about the 1/2 horsepower grinder or their 11lb stuffer. Has any one used either one to stuff snack sticks? Thanks.

Habanero Smoker

It would depend on how often you make a 10 pound batch. I have a 5 quart Kitchen Aid, and I have the grinder attachment, but not the stuffer. I grind at the #5 or #6 speed, and I have the food tray attachment, that helps somewhat. I don't make that much sausage, and usually do 5 to 6 pound batches. It does a good job for that amount. I particularly like it because I can place the whole grinder assembly in a one gallon zip lock bag, and place that in the freezer to cool all the parts at once. Placing it in a zip lock bag prevents any chance of cross contamination. Also because it takes 12 to 18 minutes to grind that amount, to ensure the meat stays cold, I only take half the amount of meat out of the refrigerator at a time.

If you don't make the sausage that frequently, I don't see a need to upgrade your grinder. I would purchase a stuffer, and continue to grind with the Kitchen Aid.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

When faced with that situation I opted for a better stuffer.  I make sausage usually in 5-6 pound batches as well and my Kenwood grinder is fine for that.  I have made up to 15 pound batches and then I grind the meat in portions as HS recommends, keeping the rest chilled.  I got a TreSpade stuffer and am really happy with that.  It is all stainless steel and I pre-chill it prior to stuffing and everything stays nice and cold.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Patience

I agree, I think a better stuffer is more of an advantage.  Now, an 11LB stuffer is a big step.  I have a smaller 5LB stuffer that is more than enough for even 25 pounds of summer sausage.  The benefit as mentioned above is you put less meat in while stuffing, and keep the rest chilled. I usually measure out what 1 stick requires (2.5LBS) and only put that amount in.  That way I can do a better job stuffing, crimping and anything else my kids think my attention deserves while the rest of the meat stays cold in the fridge.  Save some $$ and look into the smaller stuffers, they crank just as easy.

Also, it is really hard to use a grinder of that size with the stuffer tubes when you're by yourself, especially with snack sticks!  The big sausage websites claim you will need to get a 2 hole stuffing plate for using the tubes (though most just regrind the meat thru a large hole plate during stuffing which always seemed to work for me).  When using a large grinder for stuffing, you are always turning it on and off and on and off trying to reposition the casings, take another drink, put more meat into the hopper, take another drink etc.  Snack stick size tubes will spit that meat out probably faster than you would like. Its just easier to crank and stop and probably a lot easier on the motor of the ginder.  Some of those big boys take a lot of juice to get going.  Just my 2 cents! 

Get the stuffer now and leave a picture of the grinder on the fridge to remind the spouse (or yourself if single)  Christmas is NOT far away!

Have, Patience
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg

bullhead

Welcome to the forum Sueblazer03
I have the Cabela's 11lb. stuffer and the 1horse grinder. I stuffed 1 yr off of the grinder it's hard to control the feed and steady pressure for stuffing. As patience said it is very difficult to stuff by yourself. On the 11lb stuffer I love it. I have the stuffer motor too. when stuffing small casings it's better to hand crank especially natural casing. the down side to the stuffer is when the plunger is down there is still about 1/2lb of meat left in the canister,the left over we fry up to sample the batch. When we get set up we'll grind & stuff 100-200lbs in a day twice a year. we do our own deer and pigs at home.Hope this helps. 

NePaSmoKer

I use the Dakotah #10 pnd water stuffer, works great on snak stix and i use the jerky attatchment. Easy for 1 person to operate.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 13, 2007, 01:07:31 PM
I use the Dakotah #10 pnd water stuffer, works great on snak stix and i use the jerky attatchment. Easy for 1 person to operate.

nepas
That's what I use to stuff my sausage. It works pretty smoothly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Arcs_n_Sparks

sueblazer03,

I use a Cabelas' grinder (the baby version with the washing machine motor on it) and a 5# stuffer from the Sausage Maker. Combination works very well for me.

Just made 5# of beef snack sticks. 3.5 hours of smoke and everything came out great.

Arcs_n_Sparks

jaeger

I use a 5# stuffer also. Here is a custom attachment that I put on my stuffer so that I can make (flat) beef sticks without using casings at all. It is SOOO much easier than the jerky cannon.

Habanero Smoker

Jaeger;

I always liked your customized beef stick attachment.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jaeger

Thanks Hab!
The nice thing about making beef sticks, you can buy beef already ground, mix it up and be  smoking within the hour.

You know what, I think I just talked myself into making a batch this week. I know my taste tester would agree!!!   :D ;D :D

sueblazer03

Thanks everyone for the input. The Dacotah stuffer looks interesting. I haven't found any info on the size of the stuffing tubes. Do you regulate the speed with tap pressure? When things go wrong how bad does it get? Does it drain while you stuff?
The casings I have problems with are 19mm. My odd ball stuffer will work with the Jerky Cannon nozzles. The twin tubes are 1/2 inches in diameter and the casing fits on very tight and I can only get about 18 inches of casing on each tube. So it's still a long process.

Habanero Smoker

It comes with a 3/4" and 3/8" tubes. The tubes cannot be used or swapped with the "standard" type of tubes that are on the market. They do sell a jerky kit for about $60.00.

You do regulate the speed with adjusting the water pressure. This can be done by increasing the flow from the faucet, but I find it is easier to adjust the speed by adjusting the water outlet. It does drain itself. To do that, you need to hold it up vertically and fully open the drain valve.

I've never had anything go really wrong, but their is a member who had a "blow out". Either the front or the rear of the unit blew off under the water pressure. There is a small learning curve, especially when you first try to insert the piston into the stuff.

If you search the web, you may find a deal, but I rarely find them on sale.
Here's a link to their website:
http://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.com/sausagestuffers.htm

This page may be helpful, but for some reason they have steps 1-11 on the right and 12-19 on the left. To operate:
http://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.com/operatestuf.htm

The way my needs are, I wish I had purchased the 5 pound modle. I now only make 5 - 6 pound batches, and the 5 pound modle takes up less space and probably easier to clean; besides costing less.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Johnny Guitar

Hi All,

I'm new to this site and just purchased a DBS.  However, I've been smoking and making sausage for years.  I get all my sausage making supplies for The Sausage Maker.  http://www.sausagemaker.com

It's a professional manufacturer that also sells to amateurs. 

I have the 5lb stainless and I swear by it.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=957

I would suggest investing in the sausage stuffer instead of the grinder, as well.
Cheers,

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on May 13, 2007, 04:41:36 PM
sueblazer03,

I use a Cabelas' grinder (the baby version with the washing machine motor on it) and a 5# stuffer from the Sausage Maker. Combination works very well for me.

Just made 5# of beef snack sticks. 3.5 hours of smoke and everything came out great.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Cabelas

Now your talkin sparkler   :D  :D

nepas