Finally bought a Bradley, want to set up for cold smoke

Started by Stickbowcrafter, May 15, 2007, 05:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

Been smokin' on my WSM for a bunch of years now but lately I've been more interested in trying something with better control and lower temps. Especially for cold smokin'. I set up the Bradley and seasoned it like the directions said. Very nice unit, very impressed.

I've seen some pictures here for a cold smoke set up using cardboard boxes, plastic containers and such. I wanted to build something a little more permanent. What do you think about using oak plywood to build a stand and cold smoke box? Any problems with bacteria from using wood?

This forum is great. I appreciate all of you taking the time to keep it going with helpful tips.

-Brian

Tiny Tim

I can't help with your concerns, but welcome to the forum, and happy to hear you like your new purchase.  Somebody will be along soon to help ya.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum!  I am not an expert in this matter, but I do not see how bacteria could ever be a problem unless the box got too wet and started rotting or something.  Even then, I doubt you would get any germs since the wood would not be touching the food and smoke inhibits germ growth, but the taste might be kind of bad.  I would imagine that if you keep it dry it would work fine.  I am sure the more knowledgable folks will chime in later.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

If I am not mistaken, there are a lot of smoke houses made from wood so I wouldn't think it a problem either.  I use the cardboard box and it works great.  Still using the same box for about 6 months now.  Probably have 10 cold smokes on it and it is just like new (except for the amazing aroma  :D).
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome Stickbowcrafter, i also do quite a lot of cold smoking, and i've been thinking about a more permanent chamber, but the cardboard box set up is so cheap and easy, i don't know if it's worth upgrading?.
As regards for using wood, i can't see that being a problem, even the cardboard started out life as wood so i would think it'll be fine, i thought maybe give the wood a few coats of varnish or lacquer to seal it and help keep it clean.
I think the best idea would be to find a suitable sized allu tool box or similar, just cut the holes etc, and it's ready to go, and should last a lifetime.

Anyway let us know if you make something up ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Welsh Wizard

Hi SBC

Over on this side of the pond I sold a BS to a very switched on lady who like you wanted somthing more solid than the cardboard box type configuration.

She went to her local scrap heap and crafted a box out of two old microwave oven casings (each one had vents in so she needed two). Unfortunatly she has not sent me any pictures yet, but as soon as she does I will pst them for you to have a look at.

It does make you wonder why when there seems to be a demand for this type of product why Bradley do not craft one for sale?

cheers WW

Habanero Smoker

I'm planning on building a more permanent set up for cold smoking. I also am planning on using a plywood with a veneer coating; either birch or red oak. Mildew and mold does grow on wood, but smoke is an antimicrobial. Though smoke has antimicrobial properties, with the moisture produced during the smoke (from the bisquettes and water pan), the box being small, dark and closed most of the time with little air circulation; I still have some small concerns. I was planning on using a shellac or mineral oil to coat the inside of the box so I can easily wash and disinfect the walls periodically. I'm leaning more towards mineral oil, because I'm not sure if the shellac will stand up to the heat. Both shellac and mineral oil, are safe for incidental food contact. If the manufacturer has not added any other chemicals during production.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

Click on the "smoking" link on this page and see how Len Poli uses his Bradley for cold smoking.  I've never seen a set up like this before but it is interesting if you want to use wood not in a puck form.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Tips.htm 

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

manxman

Like others I just stick to a cardboard box for cold smoking, to date each one has lasted about a year then it is replaced with a new model!!  ;)

Any material such as plastic, plywood, metal etc would do IMHO as long as the gap between the puck heater plate and the material in question is sufficient enough to stop it burning (wood) / melting (plastic) / getting too hot (metal).

I think it was our now departed friend Tom G who had a good cold smoking set up utilising a plastic container?

I have never had a problem with the cardboard igniting so there is no reason to believe there would be problems in this area with other materials.

There is insufficient heat to affect the glue in the plywood or affect any glue or nails used in construction so it would remain inert.

Yes it may grow a bit of mold / mildew over time but this would be harmless in that it is not likely to be transferred to the food. Can''t see that there would be any problems with bacteria using plywood, all traditional smokehouses are wooden in any case and they NEVER get cleaned or disinfected.

My biggest concern would be treating the wood or knowing what the plywood had been treated with prior to construction because some such treatments continue to give off fumes for a good while after application....... HS's idea of a food safe mineral oil may be best if deciding to treat the wood.

Having said all this, if I was going down this road I would probably use a natural hardwood such as oak rather than a "man made" product such as plywood. Either that or follow up on the old microwave, small fridge, plastic canister idea.

Manxman

Stickbowcrafter

Thanks everyone. I got the materials today and I'll post my set up once completed.

-Brian

Mr Walleye

3rensho

Thanks for posting that site! There's some great lookin' recipes there! Lots of sausage recipes.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Tom;
Thanks for the post. I saw a similar setup so that the person could use other woods to smoke with, while using the BS. A while back a member wanted to add a charcoal flavor, this look to be the ideal way to do this.

Building with plywood is alright and that is what I am going to make mine out of, but for me I'll still take the precautions of applying the mineral oil, and building it in a way to disinfect periodically. By disinfect, I mean using a water bleach solution and spraying the inside walls. Until I get it built I will continue to use the cardboard box.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Stickbowcrafter

OK, here's my first attempt at building a combo cold smoke box/stand for the Bradley. I have not tested it yet as it was just pouring down rain. I may not have enough length of pipe to dissipate the heat from the generator below. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm hoping the important thing is having the smoke generator outside of the Bradley. -Brian

Stickbowcrafter

I designed the stand to be just close enough for the power cord to reach from the generator to the Bradley. Probably won't be necessary for cold smoke but maybe when ambient temps are down in the winter. -Brian