Finally bought a Bradley, want to set up for cold smoke

Started by Stickbowcrafter, May 15, 2007, 05:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

A few folks have contacted me about the dimensions of my cold smoke plywood box. I basically wanted to get a complete box out of a half sheet of plywood for economical reasons and have enough room on top for the Bradley and enough space for a pipe elbow. My box finished out around 31-1/2 inches long by 16-1/2 inches wide by 16-1/2 inches deep. I cut 3 pieces around 30-1/2 X 16 inches and 3 pieces around 16 X 16 inches and glued and nailed them together.

-Brian

Smoking Duck

Hey Brian,

Do you think this would work with pressboard as well or do you think that since the wood is glued together that the composition of the pressboard and smoke would do funky things?  I've got a sheet of pressboard that doesn't have a use right now and can't think of anything better to do with it other than a cold smoke box.

Thanks!

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Arcs_n_Sparks

Smoking Duck,

Pressboard has less strength then plywood, with more exposed glue holding things together.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Smoking Duck

Thanks Arcs!  I'll probably run to Lowes and pick up a sheet of plywood and give myself a little project to get me out of the house and into the garage!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Stickbowcrafter

Hmm, not sure. I suppose you could use the particle board and maybe line the smoke chamber with foil or something. Can't say for sure, but the interior grade plywood has worked well for me. I'm hoping to pick up some water based black dyes one of these days just to match the box with the smoker. OCD on my OSB, LOL!

-Brian

Buck36

Stickbowcrafter,

You were saying you get plenty of smoke flowing through the box. Do you use that same set up with heat? I am trying to design a permanent storage area for mine. I would like to have one set up that I could cold or hot smoke. Your plywood construction looks like you could hot smoke just as easy. That would be perfect if I could get your setup contained in a storage cabinet outside. It would make using the Bradley a lot more handy!! Thanks for all the pics earlier in the thread.

Stickbowcrafter

I put the generator back on the unit when hot smoking. I suppose the cabinet heating element could get it hot enough to hot smoke even in the cold smoke set up. Not sure though. Glad the pics helped.

-Brian

Habanero Smoker

There have been many smokes where I needed the extra heat that the smoke generator provides; especially at the beginning when you have loaded the meat and lost most of your cabinet heat during loading. I would set it up so that you can hook up the smoke generator to the cabinet when you need it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

Hi Stickbowcrafter my friend just want to take the time to personnaly thank you for your cold smoke setup prototype and also to apologies cause i stole (took) your idea to build mine im a guy in wheel chair and your idea was from far the BEST!! and i really mean it man! easyer to move and to place the smoker on at the same time. Of course i had to adapted it for my handicap but i did. So thank you Stickbowcrafter as soon as i find how ill post couple of pic. Do you know how? just to show you how i did. It looks really great. Sorry for stealing your idea man. Hope youre not mad at me for it.
                                     FRANK (toker)

Toker

thx it helped me to build mine easiest set up for a guy in wheelchair like me. The only difference that i made , i put 4 wheels under so i can move it  easily and a little stand for the smoke generator to be at the same height cause of the 4 wheels. thx again for the idea set up.  ;)

La Quinta

toker...he won't be mad at ya...trust me!! Quite flattered I would assume!!    :)

pensrock

LQ, you got your cold smoke set up, right?  :P ;D

Just funnin ya.  ;D ;D

La Quinta

Pens...you just keep pushin the envelope don't ya!!! I'll be all set up when you are under snow...sleet...rain...and muck...I'll be styin out here in the beautiful desert...cool...yet not cold...smoked cheese...here I come!!!  ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: La Quinta on September 11, 2008, 11:45:44 PM
Pens...you just keep pushin the envelope don't ya!!!

If no one pushes the envelope, the mail stops.

:D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Stickbowcrafter

Sorry, been forever since I visited. Of course anyone is welcome to use my idea and plans. That's what this place is all about. I was able to make a smooth transition to smoking with a Bradley with a real short learning curve thanks to all the generosity here. Glad to see Bradley is keeping such deep archives.

-Brian