Ideas for a "quickie" Smoke?

Started by goalieboy29, May 18, 2007, 07:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goalieboy29

Hey Fellas,

Yeah, its been a while...

Now that we are finally getting to smokin' season here in the Great White North I have a question;

The wife just decided ( I know, I know) that she would like a "quickie smoke" tomorrow.

(Please keep this clean. Chez, I'm looking in your direction...)

Any ideas for a smoke that would take 4-6 hours? Not real fussy about chicken on the BSS. We love pork, beef and fish. Great to have your recipe if you can provide that too.

(Hey, gimme a break. The snow just melted and I take pucks to the head for a living)

Fire away gents.
It's the wood that makes it good.

West Coast Kansan

Chicken is good or a chicken wrap from the recipe site is a variation.  Might try some scallops and oysters or something on that line. Would be a change up.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

goalieboy29

Thanks Bud,

Seafood eh? Maybe a mash up of scallops, fish and shrimp? Have to go easy on the smoke though...You done in the smoker fish before? (what wood/temps/time?)

Thanks for the idea.

Wildcat

How about meatloaf?  It is still on my to do list and I just may do it today myself!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

You can do many types of roast in the BS in 4-6 hours. Pork loin is very easy, Top loin (roast that NY Strip is cut from) come out great. I generally finish both in the oven to develop a crust. Other members have done Rib Eye, bottom round etc. Search the forum, there are several recipes posted.

Good luck. By the way Top Loin is my favorite roast to smoke in the BS, but due to the cost you may want to practice on less expensive cuts, before smoking/cooking that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

goalieboy29

Thanks for the ideas fellas. Sorry, WCK, she nixxed the fish....

I think I'm going with some kind of roast. Either cow (top loin) or pig (tenderloin?).

I'm off to do a search of the recipe site. If anyone has a fave recipe and feels like posting it here, I'd be obliged.

Habs, I forgot all about the search function. (see above re: pucks...)
Just found the excellent thread you boys did last Novemebr. Hope my efforts come close.

I'll post what I roast.

Thanks again. Good peeps here.

Consiglieri

There is a great pork loin recipe on the tried and true site, but you may not have enough time to marinate the loin.  I cooked that one for Mother's day.

Ribs are always a good option.  Turn on the smoker to preheat, take a couple of slabs of babybacks or spare ribs, remove the membrane from the back and season how you like them.  A good quick recipe I like is to massage the ribs with crushed garlic, then rub salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste.  Pop them into the smoker at 210F and they'll be done in about 6 hours.  I use 2hours plus one puck of smoke: and like the results I get with Apple/Maple combo.  I like apple and pecan too.  Others will tell you Hickory, more Hickory, and then use some hickory.  I like hickory too, but the nut/fruit wood really compliments pig.

After about three hours, rotate the ribs.  When the ribs don't look wet anymore, probably about the same time as the rotation, start spraying or brushing them with apple juice (or the mop of your choice) every 30 to 45 minutes.   About 30 to 45 minutes before you'll pull them out, brush them with the sauce of your choice.

Good indicators of doneness/tenderness:

Approprate internal temperature
Cooking time about 6 hours at 210
Color consistent with adequate cooking
meat pulling back away from the ends of the bones
Limpness (don't know what else to call it): the tendency of the rack of ribs to droop towards the ground when you hold one end
The ability to push a toothpick through the rack without much effort
If you're hungry, no one's looking, and you can trim up the rack to hide what you've done, the ability to pull off some meat or a rib with little effort.

Have a good weekend and good luck.
Consiglieri

goalieboy29

Went shopping and at .99/lb I couldn't resist a nice almost 6 lb. picinic shoulder.

Gonna mess around with that and see what I come up with. Anyone else done a picnic?
Any advice/recipes?

UPDATE;

So much for a quickie... Here it is, 12:21 am and I just put the beast in the smoker for the night. Gotta LOVE night smokes eh?

Now, where did I put that bottle of Jack?

Habanero Smoker

I thought I had posted the recipe and smoking/cooking directions for a Cuban Style Barbecue using a bone-in, skin-on picnic shoulder, but can't locate it. I'll check my hard drive, I usually keep the recipes I posted in a doc file.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Welsh Wizard

Hi

Slmon fillet:

2 parts salt to 3 parts brown sugar cover the fillets, wrap in cling film and rest for 8 hours

Take out, wash off and immerse in salt brine soloution (enough to float an egg in) for 12 hours

Wash off brine and drizzle honey on the fillets

Cold smoke with oak for 2.5 hours

Easy peasy - cheers WW

goalieboy29

Good god man. That sounds fantastic! That is my next fish project for sure.

It is a bit hidden in my post above but I've ben up all night nurturing a picnic shoulder.
Habs hooked me up with great advice! (as always)

She's at 171 right now (just got off the "butt stall" plateau) and due to come out in prolly an hour or so @ 185. Mrs. likes 'em really pulled...

Now, to make me some Vaunted Vinegar sauce.

Hey, how the hell did that bottle get empty? Musta left the top off and she evaporated...

West Coast Kansan

Should be getting real close now!  I will usually slice your smoke and it goes anywhere from sandwiches to sliced pork with masked potatos and gravey.   ;D Good eats  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

goalieboy29

Hey fellas,

Just wanted to report that the picnic shoulder was such a hit I went off to grab another. (damn company descended on me like a flock of seagulls...)

Couln't get any more pork but I stumbled across a Top Loin beef roast.
I read here before that some of the guys had some success with it.

At $3.49/lb, I brought home 5lbs worth. Gave it 2 hours of hickory smoke @ 250 to an internal of 125. Put it on indirect heat in a 450 BBQ to an internal of 135. Let her sit for an hour and the results were, well, stupid!

I have never turned out a roast beef so moist, tender and flavourful! Falling off a log easy too.

So thanks AGAIN to Habs and the rest who got in on the action. At 2.5 hrs from start to stop, a Top Loin makes a great "quickie"  in my books.

Wildcat

I am elated that it turned out so well and that you are happy with your BS.  Nothing but more fun ahead.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Glad your smoke went well. I have to say I could only wish that I could get Top Loin for $3.49/lb. In my area I'm lucky to get it for $8.00/lb.

I
         don't
                   inhale.