Frist time smoking with the Bradley

Started by wicz, April 27, 2007, 07:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wicz

I am going small with my first smoke this Saturday.  I am doing skinless boneless chicken breasts.  Does anyone have any pointers on how long to smoke them?  When smoking fowl, do you place it right on the rack or on a foil pan?  Any pointers will be great.  Thank you again everyone.

Gizmo

Pretty much everything you would put into the bradley goes right onto the rack unless your hanging it.
Smoke time is not the indicator, Internal Temperature is somewhere around 175 deg F.  Might want to brine them to make them more juicy or try the chicken rolls. 

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

coyote

Good luck on your maiden smoke Wicz . Welcome aboard  :) Gizmo is one of the masters around this
place that is always willing to help a guy along. That's the magic of this forum...People like Giz  and many others who are willing to share and be friends with folks with a common interest....the living of life. 8)

Coyote

Habanero Smoker

For chicken breast you may want to take them out when the internal temperature is between 150°F-155°F. Boneless chicken thighs (bone in is better) come out a lot better. If you do chicken thighs take them out when the internal temperature is between 162°F-165°F.

If you have breast with skin, if you have the time air dry them in the refrigerator until the skin feels tacky. Depending on your load, if the breast have skin on keep the vent open at least 1/2 - 3/4 open to let the moisture escape. When I smoke/cook chicken in the BS I only apply 2 hours of smoke, using maple, or apple or a combination of both (1 hour of apple, followed by 1 hour of maple). If you breast have already been injected with a solution don't brine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 28, 2007, 04:21:37 AM
For chicken breast you may want to take them out when the internal temperature is between 150°F-155°F. Boneless chicken thighs (bone in is better) come out a lot better. If you do chicken thighs take them out when the internal temperature is between 162°F-155°F.

If you have breast with skin, if you have the time air dry them in the refrigerator until the skin feels tacky. Depending on your load, if the breast have skin on keep the vent open at least 1/2 - 3/4 open to let the moisture escape. When I smoke/cook chicken in the BS I only apply 2 hours of smoke, using maple, or apple or a combination of both (1 hour of apple, followed by 1 hour of maple). If you breast have already been injected with a solution don't brine.
This is just one of the many excellent tid bits from Habs new and up coming book called "Habs Poultry Perfection, BS Included" :D ;D
Follow what Habs says and you've got a winner every time IMO. ;) :) This guy KNOWS food.!!! ;D

Habanero Smoker

It would have been better advise if I didn't have that typo (which is now corrected) :D

I have an excuse, of course. ;) For the past month I've been working evenings, several nights a week preparing State tax forms to be scanned. I get over $9.00 an hour for removing staples and repairing rips in paper. Go figure!!!

Before someone complains about the waste of government dollars ;) It's not a state job, the state contracts that job out to the lowest bidder.  A private well known bank got the contract.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

wicz

Thank you for all the help.  The Chicken breast turned out good.  Alittle dry, but eat able.  I smoked them for 3 hrs at 250 degs (maybe alittle high).  Any tips to avoid drying out?  Should I do it at a lower temp?  Any suggestions on a larger cuts of meat for the next smoke?  Sorry, no pics of the chicken, next time.

Habanero Smoker

The cabinet temperature should not have cause any problems for chicken breasts. What internal temperature did you take the breast to? Did you brine, or have chicken that was commercially brined?

For other cuts of meats, it's best to start or add to a thread on a particular cut. Each cut may have it own particular way to best prepare.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

wicz

Habanero Smoker,

I pulled the chicken breast at 150 degs.  Not sure if the chicken was brined.  I bought a big bag of frozen chicken breast from Sam's clubs.

Tiny Tim

Quote from: wicz on May 01, 2007, 02:57:34 PM
I bought a big bag of frozen chicken breast from Sam's clubs.

Well, there's your problem.

Maybe not, but I've always wanted to say that on a forum and this looked like a good opportunity. :D :D :D

wicz

Habanero Smoker

Usually frozen breast packaged like that are generally injected with a solution. Check the listed ingredients, if you still have the package. But I believe they are fairly thin; if so you may want to get plumber breasts.

I've never smoked skinless breast, so maybe others have had better experiences they can pass on to you. If you took them out at 150°F, they should have been moist; unless they were thin. I would try using breast with skin on. If your diet restricts that, you can always remove the skin prior to eating. For added flavor, make sure you apply seasoning under the skin. Some use bacon to either wrap, or place above the chicken during the smoking/cooking time. Me personally, I don't like the combination of bacon and chicken.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

kiyotei

I do chicken breasts all the time.  Buy big plump ones.  I use both with and with out bones.  Brining is key to keeping them moist.  If you cook them too long they will dry out.  I like mine with skin on and then just cut it off as I eat the chicken.  I like to lift the skin so I can rub some spices underneath it before smoking for better flavoring.  I usually smoke 6 breasts for about 2 hours.  I preheat the temp to 250.

headgames

lmao .......... I love 2 laughs in 5 posts ........... the one about habs BS included . and tiny's .  Well theres your problem.... ........ I agree always wanted to use that one . lol  ;D :D ;D

no such thing as having TOO MUCH  FUN ! . ok maybe too much brandy and coke . lol
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!