Temperature control?

Started by bighoof, December 13, 2003, 09:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighoof

First off hello,
Here's the thing I am doing my 3rd batch of fish, seems to me that temp knob doesn't kick in until almost half way(according to the light), is that correct? Here is my scenario today 42 degrees outside, turned burner open vent for 2 hours was 80 degrees, half closed vent 2 hours up to 100 degrees, turned on temp control(middle of knob is above the C) is now 155 degrees.  Does this all sound about right? Also I am assuming weather still has big effact on things? How about humidity does that too?

thanks jeff

n/a

Hi Jeff,

I tried for several hours yesterday to respond to your questions as I was also doing a batch of fish, this is my 5th batch of fish and fish jerky with the Bradley, I put my fish in the smoker at 11:00 yesterday morning and finally turned off the heat at 9:30 last knight, it took a hour to bring the temp up to the 150 degree range with the top vent pretty much closed, I had 7 racks of Steelhead so had a pretty big load! After I got the temp up I just cracked the top vent a little, I've found you can control the heat pretty good with the vent. I don't think you need to get up to the 200 degree temp some talk about?? After about 6 hours of smoking and the bisquetts are gone, clean off the bisquette heater and leave it on to help with the heat and open the vent a little more to let the moisture out, I also took my water pan out at that time. I had a lot of cleanup to do after that big a load! I tried something a little different this time, I mixed my bisquetts, maple/hickory, stagger them. With this smoker I think the alder, maple and apple are a little mild and I've found the hickory a little too strong for our taste with fish. I just got done vacuum packing and it turned out great! I hope yours turned out as good as mine? Good luck and I hope I've helped a little maybe for the next batch you do?  [;)]

bighoof

Larry, wish I had a whole smoker full of Steelhead. Nothing better than smoked steelies, mine was all silvers, it was done in 6 hours at 150 degrees. Do you rotate your racks around? What about the temp knob ever notice that? 7 racks, do you flip one rack upside down and put it on top of the other?

thanks jeff

n/a

Jeff,

I bought a extra set of racks and their designed to fit upside down over the other rack. I bought the jerky racks with the smaller squares so the jerky would fit better also. I think I had the slide temp lever about half way until my bisquetts were gone then slid it clear over and opened the vent a little more until I was done, as I said it took longer with this big of load.  Try doing some jerky with your silvers, it's great! I generally freeze the whole fillett then when I thaw them out I cut them in about 1/3rd inch thick pieces while it's still a little frozen, like slicing bread. Then sprinkle them with the High Mountin Jerky cure and let it set over knight and smoke the next day, I do try and get the heat up a little higher on that to get it a little drier. you'll have them begging for more!  I also skin all my fish before, I think it helps take away the fishy taste and makes it a lot easier to work with????[;)]

bighoof

Ok thanks Larry, I'll have to try the jerky thing some time sounds good. I'm always a little hesitant in trying new things, never want to ruin anything.