BACON: Project Intense Maple

Started by MallardWacker, September 17, 2004, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

I have always enjoyed the taste of maple.  However the last time I tried to make Maple flavored bacon I really couldn't taste it.  Looking for a stronger flavor is what prompted this project.

I have ordered Grade A Dark Amber maple syrup and a pound of Maple Sugar from <font color="blue">Couture's Maple Shop </font id="blue">in Westfield Vermont.  A note about the grade of syrup I have chosen; it seems that this Grade A Dark Amber has the most maple flavor of the grades you can purchase.  They seemed to have the best prices AND their shipping was not outrageous.  No problems with the ordered and they filled and shipped it fairly quickly.   Here is their link:
http://www.maplesyrupvermont.com/

I have started out with a nine pound loin from Sam's.  Cleaned and trimmed.  It was 24" long, made four 6" pieces.

I measured out the Maple Sugar Cure from Butcher-Packer.

Rubbed in the cure and let set to sweat for a few minutes.

Rubbed on as much maple sugar as the piece of meat could hold and place in gallon plastic freezer zip bags.  I thought I would try something different this time.  I will say using these bags almost cuts the fridge space used in half.

<i><font color="blue">Must say that the maple smell is just great at this point.</font id="blue"></i>

My thoughts are is to put about an 1/8 of a cup of maple syrup in each bag about  8 or 10 days into the cure.  I plan to cure for about 18-21days.

Plans are when I get to the smoking part of this I will brush or pour maple syrup over the top of the meat and may sprinkle it with maple sugar.

Any suggestion?  I would love to hear from you all.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

Mw,
After reading about the jalapeno experiment I got the itch.  I finally ordered the Maple Sugar Cure from Butcher & Packer today.  I thought I would keep it simple for the first time and just use the cure.  I thought about just doing one small piece of loin but then decided if I really liked it I would have to wait another 3 weeks before I could have it again so I guess I'll dive in with one whole loin[:D] cut into 4 pieces.  I also figured on using maple pucks.  Since I've never done this before I'm itching to get started and will probally inspect the meat daily until 3 weeks is up.  Has anyone ever sealed the meat with a vaccum sealer or would this be a bad idea?

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

BigS,

For lunch today, I added about 1/8 cup of maple syrup to each of the four bags, mix and massaged well.  You will have fun and I'm sure you will be doing it again.  Please keep us informed how things go.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

bologna man

Jeff
Funny you should ask about vacum sealing I just put a loin in the smoker today that I had in one of the square vacum seal containers. I didn't open the container for 21 days and when I opened it today the meat was as fresh looking as the day I put it in there only difference is the meat was realy firm.
Rod

Rod

BigSmoker

Well I rec'd my cure today.  As soon as I could I went and bought 6lb of pork loin at my friends grocery store.  Brought it home trimmed to my liking and found out I only had a scale that weighed out in grams.  Found a conversion table in a cook book and was off to the races.  I rubbed loin with cure and let sit 5 min.  Reread MW post and decided to rub them down with some turbinado sugar since I didn't have the maple sugar.  Put the pieces in vaccum seal bags, sealed and put in fridge.  Unfortunately I will be at the Jack Daniels BBQ cookoff on the 21st day of the cure so I guess I will smoke after I get back.  I assume this will be O.K.?  I have some nice maple syrup that I can add a little later down the road.  Man I love to cook and smoke(ABT's on now served with left over brisket chopped for sandwiches so I have to go).  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

whitetailfan

Hi Mallard,
I haven't written in awhile, been busy after work, working on boarding in my deck for extra storage, plus asthetics because the dirt looked like crap underneath.

I'm really excited about your maple project.  I think I'm gonna order up some maple cure soon.  I still have the buckboard to try first, but I have a couple of butts to use it up on.

I just went back to the farm this past weekend.  I smoked up a batch of sausage with the Bradley while I was there.  We did up a couple of pigs on Sunday and my Dad cut it up last night.  Aside from the hams, I instructed him NO CURING by the abatoir.  I'm getting all the belly whacked up into tray size pieces so I can do my own belly bacon.  Also specified to leave the front in large butt/picnic form, and to debone half of the loin for me to do up smoked chops.  It's going to be the quickest hog he ever cut, I just need it chopped down to managable pieces.

Looking forward to your results[:p]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

White,

I will be looking forward to see how your belly comes out let alone the rest of the hog.  For some reason I bet taht FRESH hog is got to taste btter.  It's nice to have that kind of control over your meat.  I noticed your other post, left you a reply there.  

Jeff,

I'm sure there will be no problem with leaving the meat in the cure for that legnth of time.  Tell me something, what does <font color="blue">turbinado sugar</font id="blue"> taste like?  Also I'm a bit envious of you going to the Jack Daniels, someday the hen and I will go and see some "Big Ones"&gt; The kids are finally getting old enough and OUR time is coming.

Everyone have a great weekend.  Also the Maple Bacon is coming out next weekend.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

MW,
Turbinado sugar is unrefined sugar.  It has the brown sugar taste without being all mushy.  It has much larger crystals than regular sugar and can be used anywhere regular sugar can be used.  Lots of people use it in rubs because it dosen't burn as easily as brown sugar.  I usually rub 1/3 turbinado sugar to 2/3 beef rub for my brisket.  It helps make a nice bark.

I am looking forward to the JD competition.  I already know of several teams that will be there that I look forward to seeing in action.  The closest I could get a hotel room was 30 miles away(made the reservations 3 months ago).  If you want to be close make reservations 6-8 months in advance.  Also plan on touring the distillery while I'm there.[:)]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

whitetailfan

I've been patient Mallard, but it's now 12:40 MDT - let's get some results[:p]  Just kidding, I think that this past weekend was the time to smoke Project Intense Maple.

I will be starting my first bacon next weekend.  I timed two weeks from this weekend, and I will be out of town, so my first batch starts curing Oct 9 and smoked Oct 23.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

OK folks (<font color="red">and <b>White</b></font id="red">) here are the results of this project.

If it sounds like I am too much of a homie or if I may be too infatuated with my on smoking skills (or lack there of) just take this post with a grain of salt and try and glean what you can out of it and put the rest in the o'l drip bowl.

I pulled the loins out this past Saturday.  Did the rinse-soak (1hr)-rinse-soak (1hr) thing.

I made a THICK paste out of <font color="blue">Maple syrup </font id="blue">and <font color="blue">Maple sugar</font id="blue">.

Placed all four pieces on one rack and proceeded to brush on the above <font color="blue">Maple paste</font id="blue">.

Cooked to the above for mentioned process.

I used 3hrs of <font color="blue">Maple pucks </font id="blue">(actually only 2hrs 40min-no bubba pucks yet.)  May I add something here folks, when you are thinking about the amount of smoke you need, when smoking loin I would use 3hrs OR less.  Using more seems to overtake your flavoring.  All I want is the smoke is to be an addition or a compliment to the flavor I'm trying to add to the meat and I feel anything more than 3hrs might interfere with that process.

Smoked the meat to an internal temp of 161deg.

Of course I tasted it right away.  It was good then.  <font color="limegreen"><b>I must give a credit to Old's here</b>.</font id="limegreen">  He always preached about letting the flavor of what you did get into the meat by putting it in the fridge.  That is so correct.  The last two batches I have done proved this to be true.  I could not believe the difference of the flavor the next day, to the good.

To me it was just as good as the JalapeƱo bacon but just different.  Those of you that are looking for the type of flavor (and smell) you get from a package of Jimmy Dean's <font color="blue">Maple</font id="blue"> flavored sausage; this is not what you will get. (Heavens that stuff will have your house STINK'N like <font color="blue">Maple</font id="blue">)  I don't believe that (smell and flavor) really exists with out <font color="red"><i>some form of artificial infarction</i></font id="red"> into the meat.  Really I don't think that's what <font color="blue">Maple flavoring</font id="blue"> is all about.  WHAT YOU WILL GET IS a very nice piece of meat that has overtones of <font color="blue">Maple</font id="blue"> that adds to the flavoring of the loin.  It's not sweet except for the little bit you get off the glaze, but the flavor is just great.   It pronounces enough <font color="blue">Maple flavors </font id="blue">(cure and smoke) that if you were to give it away I'm sure they would be impressed.  It does taste like something you buy at a specialty store or someplace similar.

The cosmetic look of the pieces of meat was a sight to be hold.  It was beautiful-nice brown/tan glaze.  It was a "fruit of love thing".

The best part of the loin was the tail end (the skinnier part), it seemed to take on a lot more flavoring and sugar.  It was darker and when you fried it a little it had bit more glazing affect and pronounced flavor.  

To me this is a "must do".  It is easier that the Jalapeno.  I will do this for the Holidays.  Again, if you are looking for this BIG bouquet of <font color="blue">Maple</font id="blue">-I don't think that exists.  I put every thing (natural) <font color="blue">Maple</font id="blue"> I could think of in this and I just don't think you can get that type of results.  After tasting this ([:p]3 big honk'n BLT's on Sunday[:p]) you don't need it, it will impress your friends.  

Humbly submitted,

Mike
Hay, any other idea for flavorings?  Give me a shout.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

capt.mike

MW
My bellies are in the BS now my temp is around 100. I was going to pull them at about 140d. I noticed that you pulled at 160. Is there any difference? I will let you know how the bellies came out. By the way I did get the bacon hangers.
Mike

Oldman

MW,

As always I enjoy your post. You take time to be detailed...

As for the meat in the refrig, I'm glad you gave it a try. Now for those who might have missed my postings concerning this I always allow my meat to go to room temp. and then wrap it in plastic before I put it in the frig.

When I do a ham (store bought---sorry guys my days of curing a whole ham, smoking it and hanging it are long gone. I will leave that up to you young guys) for example I get a low salt ham, (cost a little more) smoke it until it is 160 degree give or take a few. Once wrapped I wait at least 4 to 5 day before the eating begins. As MW stated you will not believe the diffence when the smoke goes all the way through. Plus it seems to me to sweeten in taste.

Oh ya if you are doing a whole ham once you get to 160 degress or there about turn back your heat so you can maintain 160 for a couple of hours or so. This will help produce a more leaner eating item. You will have to play with this time-line to find the level you want. Just remember you can go too long and the meat will slow cook apart.

A good example of this is my wife a few years back did a prime rib.  Once it got to 145 degrees she held it at a temp of 160 just a little too long.  That nice medium rare turned into a very well done almost dried out piece of meat and the inside temp never hit 150 degree.

BTW all Prime Ribs are now cooked by me [:D]

Again MW nice posting(s).
Olds

<b>EDIT</b> MW in your search for this Maple flavored bacon have you ever given thought to adding a good dark rum to a mixture? Not to your cure. I will get into that later. Now for some facts to think over.

<b>One thing about drinking alcohol that most folks do not know is if diluted it will accelerate the action of microbes and some types of bacteria.</b> (Now dark rum is already deluted to 40%.) Now don't go saying that alcohol kills all bacteria, if it did then ole brandy drinkers like myself would never be able to digest our meals. Again I'm talking about grain alcohol, not wood alcohol.

A good example is when I make my worm food (I have a worm farm for my garden.) I add my grains, molasses (unsulphured,) and yeast with warm water.  A few days later when it stops working off the liquid is a low grade alcohol. I feed this liquid and grains to the worms and the micro society that the worms are part of. That food will disappear so fast it is scary. I always have one 5 gallon bucket working off.

<b>By now you are saying where is Olds going with this. Just hang on I'm getting there.</b>

Currently I'm setting up a new compost pile. Once I have finished layering it correctly I will take the liquid from two 5-gallon containers and add it to the top. Within 3 days I have a smoken pile. It is the alcohol that just kicks the microbes into high gear.

Ok next, let's look at cold marination of raw chicken. While MSG is not thought of much by many people if you add it to your marinade it causes the bacteria on the chicken to tunnel into the meat at a very fast pace. This allows the favoring of your marinade to get into the meat. (If the MSG ratio is correct a whole uncut chicken will accept whatever flavor within 24 hours.--oh don't go any longer than 24 hours. If you use cut a up chicken 8 hours maximum or you will 86 the meat!!!!)

<b>Ok with this all said,</b> maybe if you take two/ three days before you start the cure and marinate the meat with a mixture of dark rum, maple sugar/ syrup only, I just about bet your flavor will increase. I know it will with MSG, but given your cure is store bought I don't see how you could off set the amount of MSG that would be need by reducing the amount of the salt. If you make your own cure then MSG will work very well. However, I would wash it off before I add my cure etc..

If you use rum with the marinade your acceleration of the bacteria should be very active! Again this will allow your flavoring to enter into the meat.  After a couple or so days of marinating the meat then do your cure. I would not rise off the marinade. Maybe pat dry it.

If you do try this idea please post to me directly so I can follow along. Thanks~~!

I have marinaded steaks with a sweet vermouth, ginger, and teriyaki sauce for up to 4 hours. When I use this mixture on chicken I will marinaded it over night. I've tried it without the vermouth and the flavor never seems to get to the center. From this the alcohol has to be some sort of accelerant. Oh...cook over oak wood~~ [8D]

BTW I'm one of the lucky ones, MSG and I get along just fine.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jaeger

Capt. Mike,
In response to your post re: internal temps. With bacon you only need to reach an internal temp of 140 degrees. Bacon is intended to be cooked to a higher temp after you have cured and smoked it.(when you fry it). Mallard was smoking a pork loin which you should cook to an internal temp of 160 degrees. Let us know how it turned out![:D][:)][:p]

MallardWacker

Very Very good idea about the rum.  Man -I bet that would be a great flavor mix with maple and maple smoke.  Somethng about that combo just sounds like it was ment to be.  On the list!

About the internal temp folks.  If you are going to do belly type bacon and you know you will fry it every time 140 is just fine.  But if you venture out in other type cuts of meat like butts and loin, one thing will happen, that is the meat looks like cured ham and you will want to eat it cold(at least I did) for that 140 is to low.  This just a variation I came up with for me.  This stuff is so good I just like reaching in the fridge and grabbing some or making a quick sandwich.  My wife, she fries it evry time.  One thing I have noticed in going to 160, is that the meat is some what tender and just adds to the enjoyment of the meat not having to pull it apart like jerky.  Just my thoughts.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

capt.mike

Update on my bacon project.
Mallard Wacker I hope you don't mind me using your post, but I did use a lot of your ideas so I have to give you some credit.
I got 8 1/2lb FRESH pork bellies from my butcher, about 5lb butt from Sam's and I deboned it (I kinda made a mess out of the deboneing). I used the Hi-Mt. BBC cure and mixed it exactly as said. Put the bellies in a flat plastic Rubber maid Take Away containers that I got at Wall mart, put the butt in a Ziplock bag and let them sit for about 12 days, I also added some true Maple syrup after about 5 days,I got very little fluid from either batch. After I took them out I rinsed soaked and rinsed and soaked just as the Duck slayer says. When I was done rinsing I let them sit for about an hour while my BS was warming up to 150  and brushed some more maple syrup on them and added some fresh cracked pepper. I used bacon hangers so I took out the racks and cut a dowel rod for the hangers to hang on. Cooked for 45 min. with no smoke then put about 3hrs of maple pucks, raised the temp and let it go for about 3 more hours, internal temp was 140 then I turned the power off and let them sit for 1 hour. When I took them out I let stand at room temp then wrapped with plastic wrap and put in fridge (Olds Way). I got up this morning and cut up some bacon strips and fried them up they were just perfect I could smell the maple as I was cooking and the taste was unbelievable and NOT SALTY. I also fried a piece of the butt and it was just as good as the bacon, but somewhat different.
My thoughts are if you are looking for true bacon I would go with the bellies or what is called a side at the butcher. If you are looking for a ham steak or Canadian bacon I would use the butt or a loin like the Duck Slayer did. One last question is how long can I keep my slabs in the fridge since I don't have a slicer? I would like to thank everyone for all their post because without this board I don't think I could have pulled this off.
Mike