1st Shoulder

Started by Infalable, May 26, 2007, 11:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infalable

I have two 6 lb shoulders that will be smoked for Monday. This is my first attempt for this kind of meat. I have searched a few threads, but havn't found a rub or length of time to cook. Any help would be appreciated.

Consiglieri

When I did this cut, I used the butt recipe.  There is a good overnight technique posted that describes the whole process, including the internal temp plateau for a couple of hours.  I'll see if I can dig it up and post a link here
Consiglieri

Infalable

I just found one thanks. Nothing normal ever happens when I smoke. Had to rush one on this afternoon at 4ish. Should be done when I wake up. Holding steady at 167 now. Been mopping w/ apple juice. I plan on getting up at 6 in the AM. Is there any concern if temp goes over 195?

West Coast Kansan

Over 195 IMO you are starting to dry it out.  This is not a piece put together like the butt which is a lot more forgiving if you sleep in.  ;D Makes the temp alarms worth while I think   ;) Funny every 12 pounds of shoulder seems to cook different.  Depending on how long you were between 157 to get to 167 you may be able to figure how may hours to FTC. I am trying to work out a formula based on this 10 degree spread in a bradley on the last two butt smokes - might be close).

Will be fun to know what time you hit your target. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Infalable

Not sure how long at 167. I had to go sleep because I had to drive a few hours each way today. I find it beneficial to stay awake while driving. Anyway, the temp was 205 when I pulled it out. FTC right away. Added some heat packs after 2 hours. We ate three hours later. This was most amazing. The meat was tender and juicy. Everyone was ragging on each other all morning. Then as folks started to sit for lunch they started sampling the butt. I served Iceman's sauce (a big big hit every time I serve it). By the time we finished, 12 lbs of meat were gone and everyone was happy. They were so amazed because they never had homemade food like this. I also added German potato salad (yum). Everyone wants me to cook for next week again. This was one of my favorite smoked meats and the price cant be beat. It was only about $1.29/lb.